Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
    Bob MacKenzie on TSN just said that IF a deal gets done between the Leafs, it's probably for Bozak (previous interest from Nucks) + draft pick + Prospect.
    Who else out there is going to trade anything of any value for Luongo?
    I think they Leafs may be the only trade partner for Luongo.
    I think anything more then a bag of pucks for Luongo's contract is too much.
    We aren't contending for a run at anything so let's get high draft picks and develop our young players and tell Canucks to go F&*# themselves and enjoy their 7million dollar backup goalie if they ask for any value back at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by faridk89 View Post
    I believe we can only buy out players after this season.

Yeah that's the last I've heard as well, was kinda fun considering the rumors that brought
    I believe the buyout clause can be used immediately. If that is the case the Canucks will have the option to buyout Luongo's contract. I've put a couple of quotes from thestar.com below.

Most definitely the compliance buyouts. There are several big names on the buyout block, including Roberto Luongo — and those players become free agents if they are bought out. That is of immediate concern to the Leafs and their fans — Luongo is expected to be traded to the Leafs almost immediately. However, a buyout of his contract in Vancouver removes a $5.3 million per season cap hit, and that is of huge concern to a Vancouver team that is near the cap ceiling already, and has several pending UFA’s coming up this season and next.
    There are two compliance buyouts; and they must be used no later than the next two summers. There is an option to use both of them immediately.
    However if you are Vancouver I'm sure you would want to get something of value in return for Luongo then just buying him out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjago View Post
    Who else out there is going to trade anything of any value for Luongo?
    I think they Leafs may be the only trade partner for Luongo.
    I think anything more then a bag of pucks for Luongo's contract is too much.
    We aren't contending for a run at anything so let's get high draft picks and develop our young players and tell Canucks to go F&*# themselves and enjoy their 7million dollar backup goalie if they ask for any value back at all.
    In the new CBA all 14 teams that miss the playoffs have a shot at the first overall pick. I haven't seen the percentages yet but I'm assuming that finishing 30th doesn't guarentee you much of anything anymore and I'm so on board with that. There's no incentive to lose anymore. If all we have to give up is Tyler Bozak maybe a 2nd round pick and some C or B grade prospect then you've gotta be all over Luongo. He's a top 10 goalie in the league. Don't listen to Canucks fans either. They blame everything on Luongo. If the Sedins go pointless 2 games in a row it's Luongo's fault. Dude's a great goalie and we'd have two chances after this season to amnesty him if he doesn't work out. A gamble well worth taking. The Leafs have a history of taking former All-Star goalies in their 30's and having great success with it. See Cujo or Belfour.

Also to add to that. We are going to have so much free money at the end of this season it's great. Picking up an expensive goaltender is a luxery we can use if we want. Leave it to our fan base to whine for a legit goaltender and then whine again when we may be on the verge of getting one of the better ones.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 01-06-2013 at 12:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSoxMaster View Post
    In the new CBA all 14 teams that miss the playoffs have a shot at the first overall pick. I haven't seen the percentages yet but I'm assuming that finishing 30th doesn't guarantee you much of anything anymore and I'm so on board with that. There's no incentive to lose anymore. If all we have to give up is Tyler Bozak maybe a 2nd round pick and some C or B grade prospect then you've gotta be all over Luongo. He's a top 10 goalie in the league. Don't listen to Canucks fans either. They blame everything on Luongo. If the Sedins go pointless 2 games in a row it's Luongo's fault. Dude's a great goalie and we'd have two chances after this season to amnesty him if he doesn't work out. A gamble well worth taking. The Leafs have a history of taking former All-Star goalies in their 30's and having great success with it. See Cujo or Belfour.

Also to add to that. We are going to have so much free money at the end of this season it's great. Picking up an expensive goaltender is a luxury we can use if we want. Leave it to our fan base to whine for a legit goaltender and then whine again when we may be on the verge of getting one of the better ones.
    Actually I'm really excited to see this lottery play out. From what I understand the system will be similar to the basketball lottery. The better you are the less balls you have in the machine. The Orlando Magic's had won the lottery twice with the lowest odds of winning (Dwight Howard, and Chris Weber - later traded for - Hardaway were chosen. With Shaq the had the best chance of winning that year I believe.). I also remember a season when the Cavs tanked to get Lebron and they did win the lottery!!!

The Leafs need a good goalie and would like nothing more than see Luongo suit up as a Leaf.

vCash
    The buy out clause you guys are talking about kicks in this coming summer. Teams can spend 70 mil for this season, but the cap goes down to 64 mil next year. The buyout clause allows teams (Montreal, New York etc etc) to get down to that cap max.
    Our God is able

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gup View Post
    The buy out clause you guys are talking about kicks in this coming summer. Teams can spend 70 mil for this season, but the cap goes down to 64 mil next year. The buyout clause allows teams (Montreal, New York etc etc) to get down to that cap max.
    this is correct

Leafs, Raps, Jays, and Bills fan!

vCash
    I haven't kept up with the lockout stuff, but how will this buy-out clause work? Will is be just like you said (1 offseason) or could you bank it (kinda like the NBA).

Still torn on this but the possibility of a short season and a bankable buyout/amnesty would be enough for me to pull the trigger. If Bozak is the only peice off our roster then thats a great deal regardless. Please no 1st round picks or Reilly/Gardiner.

"Hey Dad. Whatever. Keep cheering." - Mo' Riles

vCash
    Something will have to happen in the next week or so before training camps open. I can see a lot of movement taking place between now and then!

vCash
    Yeah totally hoping this still happens.

vCash
    It's not going to be a popular decision, but I think it's pointless having him for half a season because I still think were one high draft pick and FA away from actually being relevant again. I think Luongo might hurt our tank chances and would rather try getting him heading into next year if anything or find another younger cheaper stud.

I'd give Reimer and Scrivens a 40 or 50 game trial and see if they can possibly be solutions going forward too.

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    ^^ That what's a good dependable site for NHL contracts??
    I know for NBA storytellers is usually spot on but what for NHL??

or better yet does anyone know how much cap space we'll have heading into the off season with th ecap set at 64M

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FLeays View Post
    I believe the buyout clause can be used immediately. If that is the case the Canucks will have the option to buyout Luongo's contract. I've put a couple of quotes from thestar.com below.

However if you are Vancouver I'm sure you would want to get something of value in return for Luongo then just buying him out.
    Exactly, then they can save their buyout for a rainy day over the next two summers.

Do you have a reliable link for that? Not trying to be an ***, but I've seen that it will be effective immediately.

vCash
    Opti said 48 mil I think..we have a lot of contracts running out

vCash
    2 buyouts over the course of the next 2 summers. It's going to be an absolutely INSANE offseason this summer. Gonna be great!

vCash
    Its on tsn and everyother sports sight bro...

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast