Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Why wouldn't you want Luongo? guys a great goalie. And no, Reimer was NOT on his way to the Canucks, he was practicing with some Canucks players. When there's a lockout, players of all teams are doing this. The Canucks wouldn't even need Reimer back, they're investing into Schneider, a goalie not even in his prime. A guy who the team plans on having as a number one for 5+ years.

Sad thing is, the next player who's on Crosby's level isn't even in next summers draft but the one after. Nathans a hell of a player but Mcdavid is just...unbelievable
    Yeah, I will agree with that. McKinnon looked pretty awesome, but he wasn't like Sid was back then. He's a little bigger? and might bring a little something different to the table, but overall, I think he's got a ways to go before he's going to be dominating the NHL like Sid.

vCash
    Why wouldn't you want Luongo? guys a great goalie. And no, Reimer was NOT on his way to the Canucks, he was practicing with some Canucks players. When there's a lockout, players of all teams are doing this. The Canucks wouldn't even need Reimer back, they're investing into Schneider, a goalie not even in his prime. A guy who the team plans on having as a number one for 5+ years.

Sad thing is, the next player who's on Crosby's level isn't even in next summers draft but the one after. Nathans a hell of a player but Mcdavid is just...unbelievable
    luos contract is crazy, especially the years left. Acquiring him now without some sort of amnesty or for a ridiculously reduced price would be a mistake. He increases our odds for playoffs in the next few years but he will be 35 shortly and if we do lose a full year of hockey i wouldn't touch him without an amnesty or the assurance we could take his cap off the books (ahl/overseas).

The way it sounds (if the deal is indeed done) like its somewhere between what we wanted to give up and what they wanted . I think Kadri and Franson might be involved and thats too rich for my blood.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Yeah I sort of agree with Halladay on this one, why wouldn't you want Luongo at this point? I mean it's sort of ridiculous to say that the Leafs don't need him because realisticlally he makes them a playoff team.

Reimer does not. And there are no other options as far as solid goalie goes. Obviously Gillis is going to deny it, he has too.
    obviously Gillis is striking out with FLA. He wanted Bjugsted (according to reports) so it's likely Kadri or Colborne are involved in a potential deal. If there wans't the risk of a full years lockout i would be ok with it because we would realistically have 3-4 good years of him left (34-38) but we lose a year. Trading for a 35 year old (after locked out year) and having him on the cap for 7 more years is not the move Burke should make IMO. Again, if there are some new CBA clauses that would allow us to move him or amnesty him then this all changes but just going on the fact that when hockey resumes we could have a 33 year old with 9 years @ $5M+.

If the rumours are true that burke has made a deal i dont really understand his thought process here. Luo will only be Elite for a few more years and who knows how the lockout will affect him. Unless Gillis lowered his price i hope Burke doesn't make this move.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 10-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    Luongo has 10 years remaining on a contract that comes with a cap hit of $5.33 million per season and expires in 2022. His actual salary is $6.714 million for the next six seasons, including the 2012-13 campaign, but then drops by 50 per cent in the seventh year and to $1 million in each of the final two.

The belief has long been with this contract that he’ll play for six years, then retire, taking the Canucks off the hook for the cap hit in the final four years.

He makes 6.174 for the next 6 seasons. He'll retire when he's about 40 so after these 6 seasons. I think Roberto Luongo would be fine til the age of about 38 atleast personally. So that's 4 years of good Luongo against 2 years of bad Luongo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    luos contract is crazy, especially the years left. Acquiring him now without some sort of amnesty or for a ridiculously reduced price would be a mistake. He increases our odds for playoffs in the next few years but he will be 35 shortly and if we do lose a full year of hockey i wouldn't touch him without an amnesty or the assurance we could take his cap off the books (ahl/overseas).

The way it sounds (if the deal is indeed done) like its somewhere between what we wanted to give up and what they wanted . I think Kadri and Franson might be involved and thats too rich for my blood.
    The cap hit is low, I don't like the years but it's a retirement contract. He won't play the whole contract out. He's an elite goalie in his prime and the only reasons he's even being dealt is because of Schneider. It would be foolish not to look into getting Luongo. Do you really wanna go into next season hoping Reimer can rebound? He didn't look so hot after his neck/head injury. Assuming we'd keep him if we dealt for Luongo, Reimer could learn a lot from Bobby Lou. Reimers a kid who's years away from being in his prime. Trade for Luongo, get 4-5 good years out of him and when he starts declining, Reimer comes in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O. RaPz--Le@F View Post
    Luongo has 10 years remaining on a contract that comes with a cap hit of $5.33 million per season and expires in 2022. His actual salary is $6.714 million for the next six seasons, including the 2012-13 campaign, but then drops by 50 per cent in the seventh year and to $1 million in each of the final two.

The belief has long been with this contract that he’ll play for six years, then retire, taking the Canucks off the hook for the cap hit in the final four years.

He makes 6.174 for the next 6 seasons. He'll retire when he's about 40 so after these 6 seasons. I think Roberto Luongo would be fine til the age of about 38 atleast personally. So that's 4 years of good Luongo against 2 years of bad Luongo.
    Not to mention the fact that it would instantly make us a playoff team where we'd have a legit shot of making it past the first round. Isn't this the point? to actually be a playoff team?

vCash
    Not to mention the fact that it would instantly make us a playoff team where we'd have a legit shot of making it past the first round. Isn't this the point? to actually be a playoff team?
    For sure, and the Kings showed with good goaltending, the 8th seed can take off. Roberto has a reputation for being a choke artist that I don't think he's deserved.

Lets take a look at his playoff stats:

06-07: 5 wins, 7 losses with a .941 save % and 1.77 GA.
    08-09: 6 wins, 4 losses with a .914 save % and 2.52 GA + a shutout.
    09-10: 6 wins, 6 losses with a .895 save % and 3.22 GA
    10-11: 15 wins, 10 losses with a .914 save % and 2.56 GA + 4 shutouts.
    11-12: 0 wins, 2 losses with a .891 save %...he had 64 shots and saved 57 of them and was yanked after two games.

If memory serves correctly, he was yanked undeservingly, I mean looking at save % on a sample size of two games is so inefficient. I believe that he was yanked for Schneider to try and spark the team wasn't he?

Other then 09-10, he's been more then solid in the playoffs. Once we get there, I expect nothing but the best on a guy who'd be a leader with his experience too.

I'm all in favour of bringing a top notch goalie to Toronto because you don't get chances like this too often.

vCash
    i was all for aquiring him when the rumours started, i was actaully one of the few but losing another year where he gets older is increasing this risk. There are way too many variables right now. I dont want this contract hanging over our heads and ****ing us up for the future. The CBA should be figured out BEFORE Burke makes a deal like this unless Gillis just wants to unload him, which doesn't seem likely.

vCash
    TO: why did you lose the "--leaf" part of your name? brings a tear to my eye.

off topic but i like the way the raps look. Will definitely be watching this season.

vCash
    It was so annoying with all the stupid letters and symbols. When I made the account, I didn't actually think I was going to be on this site for the next two and a half years.

vCash
    i was all for aquiring him when the rumours started, i was actaully one of the few but losing another year where he gets older is increasing this risk. There are way too many variables right now. I dont want this contract hanging over our heads and ****ing us up for the future. The CBA should be figured out BEFORE Burke makes a deal like this unless Gillis just wants to unload him, which doesn't seem likely.
    Honestly, do you really think Luongo's deal would cripple us? we're talking about a cap around $70 million or so. We have guys like Komisarek,Lombardi,Connolly etc who easily make more combined than Luongo who's a hell of a lot more valuable than any of those mentioned. Luongo is worth every penny. That's the great thing about those retirement deals; the cap hit is great. We are one of the few teams in the NHL who doesn't have one of these contracts. We should take advantage. Of course, I'm assuming here that there's no rollback because there's almost chance that happens. The players aren't gonna take rollbacks which is a ridiculous idea by the owners who offered those contracts to begin with.

vCash
    Honestly, do you really think Luongo's deal would cripple us? we're talking about a cap around $70 million or so. We have guys like Komisarek,Lombardi,Connolly etc who easily make more combined than Luongo who's a hell of a lot more valuable than any of those mentioned. Luongo is worth every penny. That's the great thing about those retirement deals; the cap hit is great. We are one of the few teams in the NHL who doesn't have one of these contracts. We should take advantage. Of course, I'm assuming here that there's no rollback because there's almost chance that happens. The players aren't gonna take rollbacks which is a ridiculous idea by the owners who offered those contracts to begin with.
    what happens if Luo is just another average goalie by 38-39 and the CBA states that his cap hit will remain on our payroll until the contract is up. I'm all for aquiring him only if there is an out (where luo can retire/ AHL) but the league still hasn't figured that out yet.

And if we did acquire him there is no guarantee that he'd be elite all those years. $5.33M off the cap could really hurt a team, especially if there is a rollback.

vCash
    Yeah I caught some of the Eerie game Friday on Sportsnet. McDavid really is the closest shot to a player having a chance to end up at Sidney Crosby's level. Just to be an exceptional player at the age of 15 and play against up to 20 year olds in pretty much the best junoir league in the country says alot right there. He's 15 and cracks the OHL and he plays against a guy like Tyler Biggs who played a year in the NCAA. It's crazy.

vCash
    Optimized are you seriously talking about lous contract??? You wanted mother ****ing nash and his contract was worse...come on bro quit being so cray

vCash
    what happens if Luo is just another average goalie by 38-39 and the CBA states that his cap hit will remain on our payroll until the contract is up. I'm all for aquiring him only if there is an out (where luo can retire/ AHL) but the league still hasn't figured that out yet.

And if we did acquire him there is no guarantee that he'd be elite all those years. $5.33M off the cap could really hurt a team, especially if there is a rollback.
    You don't seriously believe the BS the owners are feeding right? there's absolutely zero chance the players take a rollback. Such a ridiculous notion.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast