Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Luongo will be dealt to Toronto

According to "The Province" citing SportsNet

Roberto Luongo is all but gone, and will be traded to a Canadian rival when the collective bargaining agreement is ratified, according to a Sportsnet report.

At least you’ll still get to see him plenty of Saturday nights, if Sportsnet is on point. Well, let’s face it, you’ll see him just about every Saturday night.

Toronto has been our betting favourite when handicapping Luongo’s most likely destination since Steve Yzerman and Tampa Bay refused to enter the sweepstakes which began the moment Cory Schneider started consecutive playoff games.

Toronto was closest to a deal for Luongo at the draft, in a negotiation which included the Leafs offering Luke Schenn and the Canucks countering by asking for Jake Gardiner-plus-plus-plus.

There were was a moment in there where Vancouver thought they were about to get a deal done. But there were rumours Luongo was unwilling to waive his no-trade to go to the Leafs. Really, to go anywhere but Florida.

BUY THE EBOOK: LUONGO IN VANCOUVER

Luongo then was still hopeful a deal to the Panthers could work out and his agent was working the angle behind the scenes. But Luongo had something of an epiphany in September when he met with Canucks management in Vancouver and was told Florida was all but out.

Near the same time as the summit meeting, Vancouver GM Mike Gillis said the Leafs had several assets which could get a trade for Luongo done.

Sportsnet’s John Shannon reported Wednesday night the Leafs have agreed to move one of those assets and as a result the two teams have agreed to a deal in principle which will be announced sometime after the CBA is done.

Multiple Canucks’ sources played down the report, including Gillis. But they had reactions which needled more toward the category of a non-denial denials.

The Province asked Gillis if the deal with Toronto was close, citing the Sportsnet report. He managed to both deny the report and dance around it all in one answer.

“The definition of close is different for everybody,” Gillis told The Province and TEAM 1040.

“I’m not sure why John would say that because that’s certainly not the case.

“Everybody is also entitled to speculate on whatever they want to speculate on.

“We’ve moved very slowly on any discussions with Roberto –- we’ll trade him when we get want we want to get for him, or we won’t trade him, and either way it’s fine with me.

“You know, if we can get something that’s going to help us and move our team forward in different areas, we’re certainly going to consider it.

“But that hasn’t occurred yet, so I’m not sure why that would be said.”

The type of player the Canucks have been seeking in return isn’t a secret. They have wanted a promising young player who can contribute in the NHL soon on an entry-level contract.

The Canucks need two things — cap space and youth.

Before negotiations with Florida fell totally off the rails, the Canucks were chasing highly touted 6-foot-4 centre Nick Bjugstad. The Leafs closest comparable is probably 6-foot-5 centre Joe Colborne.

Any deal still has to go through Luongo, who has final say with his no-trade. But he wants to start and move on from Vancouver. It leaves him with limited options.

Interestingly, in the weeks leading up to the CBA expiring, the Canucks were still entertaining offers, including a bid for Luongo from the Edmonton Oilers and another from a mystery team which got involved late. And by mystery team we mean not one of the usual suspects, including Chicago and Columbus.

It’s conceivable that, even if the Toronto deal is close, one of these teams could still win over the Canucks with a terrific offer at the midnight hour.

So, even if the trade isn’t quite wrapped up, it certainly doesn’t hurt the Canucks that other suitors believe it is. The Canucks up until now have taken their time with the Luongo trade and this report creates urgency.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/entertain...#ixzz29iiONo1r
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Please happen. For the sake of Leafs fans, please happen.

vCash
    One thing that scared the **** out of me is the Nucks asking for Jake Gardiner. If we move Jake, I'm going to flip.

We are taking on a HUGE contract here with Luongo, I don't want to give up a ton of value. I really don't like giving up Colborne either, but I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Then again, Joe played with major injuries, which is why he played like **** in the 2nd half/playoffs.

I'd prefer it to be a lower spec, but the Nucks want someone young and ready to make an impact. This is very, very interesting.

vCash
    Absolutely zero chance the Leafs give up Gardiner. Zero chance. Meanwhile, asking for 2 or 3 more pieces? Good luck with that Gillis. There's only 2 teams he can trade Bobby Lou to and Miami likely stays away from that contract. I'll gladly give up something decent for Luongo but Gillis is out of his mind if he thinks a return of Gardiner+++ is reasonable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Absolutely zero chance the Leafs give up Gardiner. Zero chance. Meanwhile, asking for 2 or 3 more pieces? Good luck with that Gillis. There's only 2 teams he can trade Bobby Lou to and Miami likely stays away from that contract. I'll gladly give up something decent for Luongo but Gillis is out of his mind if he thinks a return of Gardiner+++ is reasonable.
    Exactly. Maybe we package something like Matt Frattin and Jesse Blacker. Blacker's a 7.5C, same rating as Colborne and Nazem, obviously the ceiling is less but he's a smooth puck moving guy in the backend on an entry level contract. Frattin re-upped this year, so he's not on the ELC but he's real cheap. I don't want Frattin to go anyways, he's one of my favourite Leafs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O. RaPz--Le@F View Post
    Exactly. Maybe we package something like Matt Frattin and Jesse Blacker. Blacker's a 7.5C, same rating as Colborne and Nazem, obviously the ceiling is less but he's a smooth puck moving guy in the backend on an entry level contract. Frattin re-upped this year, so he's not on the ELC but he's real cheap. I don't want Frattin to go anyways, he's one of my favourite Leafs.
    I'd be willing to deal the following-

Franson
    Kadri
    Liles
    Komisarek
    Frattin
    Blacker
    Colborne
    Picks after the first round

I could name off a bunch more but meh. Problem is Vancouver doesn't need d-men, something the Leafs have a surplus of. There's no way I give up significant roster players for a goalie with a horrible contract.

vCash
    I'd be willing to deal the following-

Franson
    Kadri
    Liles
    Komisarek
    Frattin
    Blacker
    Colborne
    Picks after the first round

I could name off a bunch more but meh. Problem is Vancouver doesn't need d-men, something the Leafs have a surplus of. There's no way I give up significant roster players for a goalie with a horrible contract.
    I agree with that list. We've ****ed up Kadri already, I'm hesitant to deal Joe, I'd honestly deal Kadri before I deal Joe now.

vCash
    I'd deal Liles in a heartbeat but as mentioned, the Canucks don't need D.

edit: Not because he's a bad D man. I certainly don'tthink he is. But because he has years left on his contract and the role we brought him in for is almost being filled by Gardiner. Maybe not this year but I'd say the next year and it'll be Gardiner in that role and Liles will still by under contract for multiple years. Add to the fact we've got a glut of pretty good prospects on D and it makes sence to move him.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 10-19-2012 at 12:07 PM.

vCash
    I wouldnt be surprised to see them move JVR

vCash
    Send Kadri, the entire leafs organization has no idea what to do with him anyway, and they may as well send Reimer too as he's not in their plans if they have Luongo. So Kadri, Reimer for Luongo, the leafs get a goalie that could sneak them into a playoff spot, Jim Hughson still gets to scream "GREAT SAVE LUONNNNGOOOOOO" and the Canucks get a back up goalie and a skilled project player. I still think he goes somewhere else though, why would he leave Vancouver to go to Toronto? It's only a matter of time before Leaf fans turn on him and his contract. It's a tough city to play in if you struggle for even a game or two, especially at his salary.

vCash
    As a B's fan I'd love to see LOLongo in our division

First Milk Crates, Now Water Bottles.....Nothing is Safe

vCash
    Sounds like Bozak would be the centerpiece..?

At the draft, reports indicated Vancouver asked for centre Tyler Bozak, defenceman Jake Gardiner, a first-round pick and winger Matt Frattin in exchange for the 33-year-old Luongo. The Leafs had no interest in paying that kind of price, largely because there is no significant market for the services of the veteran goaltender.

The Leafs, however, have only James Reimer on their NHL roster, and he’s a goalie in search of bounce-back season himself. So they have a definite need for quality veteran goaltending and the Canucks need to get Luongo out-of-town.

So talks have continued on and off, with Bozak as the centrepiece. Vancouver believes Bozak would be a good fit as their No. 3 centre behind Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler. The Leafs might be willing to pay more than Bozak, but how much more is unclear.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...st-not-yet-cox
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O. RaPz--Le@F View Post
    I agree with that list. We've ****ed up Kadri already, I'm hesitant to deal Joe, I'd honestly deal Kadri before I deal Joe now.
    I'm curious, how have the Leafs ****ed up Kadri but not big Joe? They've put Kadri through the system perfectly. Now, how he was thrown under the bus I hated but that was Ron Wilson. Ron Wilson is a ****ing moron.

Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    I wouldnt be surprised to see them move JVR
    Hell no. JVR is here to stay. Hell, Burke just dealt for him. He Stole JVR from Philly and I sure as hell wouldn't give up a first line potential guy for Luongo. Guys like Kadri and Colborne max out as first liners, maxing out as 65 point forwards. Tweener top 6 prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManIsNoMan View Post
    As a B's fan I'd love to see LOLongo in our division
    So would I. Boston vs Toronto would be actually be respectable games compared to the Bruins destroying the Leafs every game.
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Sounds like Bozak would be the centerpiece..?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...st-not-yet-cox
    I'll gladly deal Bozak for Luongo. If Bozak is the main piece going back, the Canucks get robbed here. I like Bozak, I think he's a better version of Stajan though. A second or third line center who's good at everything but not elite in any category. He can setup, put up decent points,kill some penalties,decent skater etc but he won't blow you away.

vCash
    Hell no. JVR is here to stay. Hell, Burke just dealt for him. He Stole JVR from Philly and I sure as hell wouldn't give up a first line potential guy for Luongo. Guys like Kadri and Colborne max out as first liners, maxing out as 65 point forwards. Tweener top 6 prospects.
    Don't go that far. The Flyers got back a good player in return by dealing from a position of strength, themselves.

It was a good deal for both sides. Neither side stole anything.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Don't go that far. The Flyers got back a good player in return by dealing from a position of strength, themselves.

It was a good deal for both sides. Neither side stole anything.
    They should have traded Giroux since he doesnt have it

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast