Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    It appears that the Robinson Cano negotiations are over before they even got started. Only Karl Rove could be surprised by this outcome.

With Scott Boras' penchant for taking his clients to free agency and Hal Steinbrenner's desire for an $189M payroll for 2014, the idea that this could work out now seemed beyond farfetched. Cano was never giving any pinstriped discount and Boras would only tell Cano to sign early for a market setting contract.

So we are where we thought we would be. Where we are going is a quite interesting question. So let's look a little into the future.

One Year From Now

One of the biggest stories of next offseason will not only be: Can the Yankees keep Cano, but should they? Cano is a great player. He is the one youngish superstar the Yankees have, but they will surely be asked to dole out an eight-to-10 year contract at $20-25 million per season for a second baseman who will be 31 by then.

A lot can change in the next 365, but let's assume that Cano has a regular Cano year and the Yankees are still committed to $189M.

The Yankees should be able to give Cano a substantial raise, but any extra money you give Cano is money that you can't use in '14.

Now, why don't you just give Cano a lower salary in '14 and then have it balloon later in his contract? It doesn't work that way. The implications for the luxury tax are based on average annual value. So you can't play any tricks on Bud Selig's system.

So, if everything remains the same, Boras and the Yankees will be dominating the headlines at this time next year.

2018 and beyond

It is pretty much a no-brainer that you would want Cano for the next five years, beginning in '14 and ending in his age 35 season of 2018. Having Cano, probably MLB's best second baseman, for the next six years, counting 2013, is something the Yankees will sign up for.

But when you look at these long-term contracts, the success rates aren't great. Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter's original 10-year deals were good ones. You could argue they were overpaid, but they were inked before either hit 30 and they produced throughout.

A-Rod's current deal? Well, you know all about that one. That is why the Yankees have to think long and hard about what to finally give to Cano. Can they really go eight to 10 years and risk that the final three to five years will drag down payroll as his production wanes?

At the same time, they are the Yankees. They can't just let their youngest franchise player walk for a first-round pick, can they?

Would you consider trading Cano this winter for a huge package of younger players? I don't think that is impossible, but I do believe it is highly, highly unlikely.
    I think Yankees hold onto Cano this season but let him walk as a FA next season. Yankees should really TRY HARD to actually make it far into the post-season in 2013, cause in 2014 our starting 2B will be Adams and he is an unknown at this point. He has talent though. I like him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PACISLE View Post
    I think they traded their youngest franchise player already (Montero). Cano is 31. Not exactly young to begin a 8 to 10 year contract. But i guess if you want to reward him, go or it. Tough call but i would consider trading him.
    Cano is not 29 years old not 31.....not much of a difference in age but for contracts it is....
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Cano is not 29 years old not 31.....not much of a difference in age but for contracts it is....
    Cano is 30 right now and will be 31 next offseason when any new contract is signed. Signing him or not all depends on asking price. If he wants to be one of the top 5 highest paid players in the game, let him walk and take the first round pick. Currently, I'm leaning towards hoping they let him walk but still a season to go.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jokemaker View Post
    Cano is 30 right now and will be 31 next offseason when any new contract is signed. Signing him or not all depends on asking price. If he wants to be one of the top 5 highest paid players in the game, let him walk and take the first round pick. Currently, I'm leaning towards hoping they let him walk but still a season to go.
    He would only net a supplemental pick if you make a qualifying offer and he declines and signs elsewhere. You don't get the signing team's first round pick anymore. The signing team loses its first round pick, but it doesn't go to the team that lost the free agent - it just disappears.

vCash
    How bout a flyer on Chen Ming wang?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda saw a doctor today and he must have gotten good news because according to Buster Olney of ESPN, he continued his throwing program at the stadium afterward. Pineda reportedly weighs as much as Mike Francesa and CC Sabathia combined with one of those new smart cars.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Feinsand: Talks “are ongoing” between Yankees and Martin

By Mike Axisa

Via Mark Feinsand: Talks between the Yankees and Russell Martin about a new contract “are ongoing” according to Matt Colleran, the catcher’s agent. “The process is going to determine the time frame (for signing),” said Colleran, who acknowledged talking to at least a half-dozen teams at last week’s GM Meetings.. “He loved everything about New York and he still does. With the ability to talk to other teams, now it’s all part of the process. Once he has all his info, he’ll decide what he wants to do.”

Martin, 29, hit .211/.311/.403 (95 wRC+) with a career-high 21 homers last season, including a 139 wRC+ against lefties. The Yankees clearly value his defensive skills — particularly his pitch-framing ability, it seems — and toughness, enough that they offered him a three-year, $20M-something contract extension last offseason. He turned that down and I think he’s totally going to wind up signing a similar contract anyway. The free agent catching market is a wasteland.

http://riveraveblues.com/

vCash
    Off topic, but it looks like the Jays are about to get way better. Yikes!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JobaRules26 View Post
    Off topic, but it looks like the Jays are about to get way better. Yikes!
    Jesus. Reports saying Josh Johnson, Beuhrle, Reyes, John Buck and Bonifacio all going to Toronto.

vCash
    Toronto Blue Jays just made the trade all Yankee fans wanted made straight up for Arod.

vCash
    I think any rumors of A-Rod going to Miami have officially died. If this deal goes down I call the Marlins about Stanton. Wouldnt hurt at this point.

vCash
    AL East just got so much more difficult its not even funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    AL East just got so much more difficult its not even funny.
    2013 could be a long year for us

vCash
    Marlins are a joke really. I guess we should be happy Pujols didn't sign with the Marlins last offseason, because he'd be in Toronto right now too.

vCash
    The Marlins payroll dropped from $100 million to....

wait for it...

$16 million.

What the actual **** is wrong with Miami. Plenty of room for A-rod now though... Uh oh, I might have to eat some crow

Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast