Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Looking back: Dan Henderson vs Jake Shields

This is one fight that shocked me. I thought Dan would win. In the first round Dan rocked Jake but after that Jake dominated the fight. Jake was easily able to take down Dan. I was surprised at how easy since Dan was an Olympic wrestler.

Before that fight took place Dan hurt his back pretty bad. My question to you all is did the hurt back decide that fight? I know Dan did not look like the Dan I expected or have seen since that fight. Would Dan have won if his back was not messed up? Jake still couldn't finish Dan despite being on top of him for 4.5 rounds.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful or dishonest poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash
    weight cut was hurting hendo,IMO..He has won some big fights since all at 205. he is like a fine wine,getting better with age or hate to say it PED.I think he is on test....
    FAV FIGHTERS- HW-Struve-JDS-D.Cormier LHW-Gustafsson -Ovince St. Preux Machida MW-Kenndey-D.Miller-Chris WeidmanWW-Condit-Rory MacDonald-Kampmann-Douglas Lima-Marquardt LW-Penn-Edgar-Jim Miller-Joe Lauzon-FW-Jung Patricio Freire BW-Torres-Dantas- Faber-Fly-Benavidez

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks19791024 View Post
    weight cut was hurting hendo,IMO..He has won some big fights since all at 205. he is like a fine wine,getting better with age or hate to say it PED.I think he is on test....
    I remember Dan did say that the weight cut was harder than usual so you bring up a very good point. I remember Dan did not want to blame the injury and just gave all the credit to Jake. That showed a lot of class. I just remember being shocked at how easy Jake was able to control Dan. That was not the Dan I expected. I have had occasional back issues where I could barely walk so that is why I'm wondering if his back played a large role in that fight.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful or dishonest poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash
    Whats weird is that I never watched this fight and wasn't really into Strikeforce at the time, but was familiar with Dan. I just knew he got dominated and couldn't wait for Shields to come to the UFC. Since then tho, Shields takedown attempts have looked womanly and he's been the exact opposite of what I expected. This fight does make you scratch your head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tadmanny View Post
    Whats weird is that I never watched this fight and wasn't really into Strikeforce at the time, but was familiar with Dan. I just knew he got dominated and couldn't wait for Shields to come to the UFC. Since then tho, Shields takedown attempts have looked womanly and he's been the exact opposite of what I expected. This fight does make you scratch your head.
    I remember not too long before that Bisping tried to take Dan down and Dan just kind of laughed at him. Jake is a great wrestler but Dan had some pretty impressive wrestling background as well. For Jake to basically manhandle Dan just did not make sense to me at that time or since then.

I'm not trying to belittle Jake in any way. He won convincingly. I'm just curious what other people think about that fight in retrospect.

vCash
    Most likely the weight cut just completely drained him and he gassed horribly. Jake Shields is not that great of a wrestler. If the fight was openweight, Shields stands no chance.

vCash
    yea i dont get how he lost to shields.

vCash
    Looking back? How about LOOK AWAY!! That was one of the worst fights Ive EVER SEEN!!

vCash
    Henderson is just not as good at 185. The same thing that happened in this fight happened in the Anderson Silva fight. He was doing very well in the first round and then he gassed and got subbed in the second. If you look at his career at 185, apart from the highlight win over Bisping he hasn't done much. He went life and death with Rich Franklin, in a fight which I thought he lost (debatable). He beats Palhares, then knocks out Bisping. Then gets dominated by Shields.

It's nothing to do with his back. It's just that he can't make that weight cut at his age. He's never had good cardio, being a 3 round fighter at best, but having him cut down is even worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    Henderson is just not as good at 185. The same thing that happened in this fight happened in the Anderson Silva fight. He was doing very well in the first round and then he gassed and got subbed in the second. If you look at his career at 185, apart from the highlight win over Bisping he hasn't done much. He went life and death with Rich Franklin, in a fight which I thought he lost (debatable). He beats Palhares, then knocks out Bisping. Then gets dominated by Shields.

It's nothing to do with his back. It's just that he can't make that weight cut at his age. He's never had good cardio, being a 3 round fighter at best, but having him cut down is even worse.
    you just got done saying rory didnt do **** to condit while he was on the ground, what did shields do to henderson? he just out wrestled him, its not like he beat him up. dont ever compare silva to shields, silva will beat hendo 8 out of 10 times while hendo beats shields 7 out of 10 times. thats the only fight where he hasnt looked like himself.

vCash
    lol you realize Jake Shields landed 280 strikes to Henderson's 63... He took him down 4 times, and remained on top of him GnP'ing away. The fight is on youtube, watch from round 2 and up and you'll see Henderson on his back on the ground get GnPed. Jake Shields even mounts Henderson and threatens to finish him! It was a very lop-sided fight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    lol you realize Jake Shields landed 280 strikes to Henderson's 63... He took him down 4 times, and remained on top of him GnP'ing away. The fight is on youtube, watch from round 2 and up and you'll see Henderson on his back on the ground get GnPed. Jake Shields even mounts Henderson and threatens to finish him! It was a very lop-sided fight.
    little pillow sonnen punches, was silva beat up after chael landed a **** load of strikes? at least hendo rocked shields, its quality over quantity. 1 strike can end the fight, the fact that a guy lands over 280 strikes and his opponent is fine after the fight should tell you something. meanwhile look at the strikes diaz landed on bj or rory on bj or gsp on bj lol, significant strikes that do a lot of damage.
    Last edited by tnewkirk; 12-14-2012 at 08:13 AM.

vCash
    IMHO it's a simple answer

Henderson didn't truly cacth Shields in RD 1. Failing that he ran out of steam and got roughed up by a guy who has a gas tank. Dan Henderson has been taken down by numerous guys with almost no wrestling credentials. Shields is hardly the first.

vCash

Henderson didn't truly cacth Shields in RD 1. Failing that he ran out of steam and got roughed up by a guy who has a gas tank. Dan Henderson has been taken down by numerous guys with almost no wrestling credentials. Shields is hardly the first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post

Hey dude nice to see ya.

Who do you think would win a rematch? Do you think it would go the same way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast