Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where would you rank the Cubs minor league system?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7, 8 or 9

16 28.07%
  • 10, 11 or 12

31 54.39%
  • 13, 14 or 15

10 17.54%
Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1124
    vCash
    ^ Pretty much. It was reported often that he was tiring as the year went on, and conditioning and weight lifting will be a priority for this 18 year old as he moves up through the system.

My question is what he will look like in 2 years when he's 20 and has been training for over two years in Merca.

vCash
    I've been a big Candelario fan for a while and could see him passing Vogie if his D improves which should be expected due to the fact that he's much more athletic. Next year should tell us a lot more about him but I think he could be in for a big year.

vCash
    ^^^^ This. To the me his ability isnt the issue as he has a good enough of a track record to support his ability and so far has shown the ability to translate those abilities stateside.
    The Main issue is where will he end up on the defensive spectrum. will he be able to improve at third. and if not where does he move? LF, 1B?

Offensively to me the only players that easily stand out above him is probably Beaz and soler.

Then you have Almora, who could easily become a better overall player and Maybe Voggy. Where Voggy is concerned i give candy the edge because of his better mobility, which would allow him to have more doubles and triples and Candy still IMO has a edge on Voggy in terms of approach and discipline dispite how good voggy controls the strike zone...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    I've been a big Candelario fan for a while and could see him passing Vogie if his D improves which should be expected due to the fact that he's much more athletic. Next year should tell us a lot more about him but I think he could be in for a big year.
    I dont know. That seems very optimistic and a little unrealistic. Vogelbach for one is performing at a higher level with the bat at a higher league. Their defense as of now is probably a wash, but would be wise to stick with vogelbach on that front as well. Vogelbachs hit tool is probably better now and has a ceiling to hit better than candy. There is no way we can even compare piwer right now as thats not even close. The only thing candy has going for him over vogelbach is that age and position, which is sounding more and more like he will be a first baseman. So with that said as a first baseman he will not have the value or skills to pass vogelbach. Now if he were to stick at 3b and improve that d to average, he will be worth more with a decent bat by positional need.

vCash
    They played in the same league last year Candelario and Vogelbach did. Their defense is far from a wash.

vCash
    I dont see how you think candelario has better d. Vogelbachs d is average to slightly below. Candelario was below average.
    Last edited by steelSKINSNCUBS; 12-30-2012 at 10:23 AM.

vCash
    One is barely a 1B at 19 and the other is a year young playing 3B right now.

vCash
    Vogelbach's defense is not average or anywhere in the universe of average. Prospect defense creep is coming in again.

His defense is not quite as terrible as you'd expect from looking at him, but that's it.

vCash
    I remember a report from the past year saying he has improved but i can not find it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelSKINSNCUBS View Post
    I remember a report from the past year saying he has improved but i can not find it.
    He improved from "putrid-godawful-terrible-abysmal" to just "bad-not pretty-blech". He's still viewed as a very serious DH candidate.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm a Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Flyers, and a University of Kentucky fan. You may be a Dallas Cowboys fan, a St. Louis Cardinals fan, a Pittsburgh Penguins fan or a Louisville Cardinals alumn. From June 12 - July 13, we are both American. Go, go, USA!

vCash
    Read on BN that Keith Law called Blackburn a BOR guy with a fastball that can hit 93.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Read on BN that Keith Law called Blackburn a BOR guy with a fastball that can hit 93.
    His projection of Blackburn as a BORP is less important to me than him hitting 93 mph. That's actually encouraging as there was some report I think I read that had him barely hitting 90 mph.

If he can hit 93mph consistently, he's got some secondary stuff that could really develop. Doubt he's ever a TORP candidate but number 3 SP could be in the future with that fastball.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm a Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Flyers, and a University of Kentucky fan. You may be a Dallas Cowboys fan, a St. Louis Cardinals fan, a Pittsburgh Penguins fan or a Louisville Cardinals alumn. From June 12 - July 13, we are both American. Go, go, USA!

vCash
    I don't think he meant a consistently 93 fastball. You don't get a BOR projection with a fastball that sits at 93.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-30-2012 at 03:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I don't think he meant a consistently 93 fastball.
    Hitting 93mph as an 18 year old gives me the confidence that with a little seasoning, conditioning, and a little more growing into his body, 93 consistently is obtainable.
    U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

vCash
    Jason (Aberdeen, MD)

Hey Kieth. Did you get a chance to see Paul Blackburn pitch in the AZL? Do you have any information on him - delivery, velocity? Does he have front end potential or is more a back of the rotation/reliever type? Thanks.

Klaw
    (3:21 PM)

Twice. Looked back of the rotation. Velocity was better the second time around, touched 93 IIRC.
    Here's the quote.

Sounds like a Scott Baker type of arm if everything goes well, though I think Baker's a little overrepresented by his WAR as far as stature is concerned. I think a mid-rotation 3-4 is a fair projection for his ceiling.

Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast