Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where would you rank the Cubs minor league system?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7, 8 or 9

16 28.07%
  • 10, 11 or 12

31 54.39%
  • 13, 14 or 15

10 17.54%
Page 49 of 75 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Szczur ran a 4.35 40 yard dash as his best time for NFL Scouts. His average time was 4.46 and his worst was 4.58. Maybe he has slowed down since then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    I dislike Szczur, but doesn't it seem like Law has some kind of extra motivation to belittle this guy?
    He's had a weird thing against him for awhile. He wouldn't back off the Juan Pierre power comps even after Szczur hit 10 HRs in one season while Pierre has hit 17 in his entire career. There's definitely a chip on his shoulder about him for some reason.

But I think the 60 speed is "game speed" and not combine speed, and it might not be unfair.

vCash
    Its possible he lost some speed. Could be a case where the number belies the game....Stepehen Hill ran a 4.3, but I have yet to see it on the field.

vCash
    Seeing as how Szczur completely lost that power when promoted last season, I'd say Law was at least partially vindicated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Its possible he lost some speed. Could be a case where the number belies the game....Stepehen Hill ran a 4.3, but I have yet to see it on the field.
    Szczur's fast and he still is. I think Keith struggles with his bullheadedness in regards to his evaluations on Szczur. I also think Keith Law is an arrogant douche who has really never accomplished anything of note within the game of baseball. Other than that I find his commentary entertaining.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Bystro View Post
    Szczur's fast and he still is. I think Keith struggles with his bullheadedness in regards to his evaluations on Szczur. I also think Keith Law is an arrogant douche who has really never accomplished anything of note within the game of baseball. Other than that I find his commentary entertaining.
    Not going as far as Marlin, but Law has always seemed to get a first impression about a prospect and then it's impossible to change his position after that.

vCash
    I don't doubt he's fast - 60 speed is fast. It's that he's elite level fast. A possibly trivial detail online but an elite tool vs a solidly above average one is a difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Seeing as how Szczur completely lost that power when promoted last season, I'd say Law was at least partially vindicated.
    How do you figure? He hit 2 HRs in 78 games with a .112 ISO in Daytona, then hit 2 HRs in 35 games with a .147 ISO after being promoted to Tennessee.

vCash
    Derp, poorly worded. I meant when he become a full time A+ player, i.e. he from from an A/A+ season to an A+/AA season.

vCash
    Derp, poorly worded. I meant when he become a full time A+ player, i.e. he from from an A/A+ season to an A+/AA season.
    His ISO jumped from .117 to .150 when he made the move from A to A+ in 2011, too, again recording half of his HRs in fewer games at the higher level.

I don't think he's been revealed to have a Juan Pierre power, and the power he displayed in 2011 didn't disappear. His swing just sucks, so contact issues will hinder him as he climbs the ladder. It's still fairly clear that he's a stronger athlete who hits the ball significantly harder than Juan Pierre, which KLaw has remained stubbornly reluctant to admit.

vCash
    I don't place a lot of faith in low minors ISO for guys with even above-average speed. It's easy to stretch out a lot of softly-hit doubles against minor league defenses.

4 home runs in a full season is awful power, especially when you consider the guy was old for his leagues.

Sure, Pierre isn't a perfect comp, but the "but he hit 10 home runs!" defenses are also looking a bit exposed.

vCash
    The point is that plenty of professional scouts who have seen Szczur play regularly don't put a lot of value in his future stock given the way he plays the game right now. I'm inclined to listen to them first.

vCash
    Do you guys think Struck will get a shot at camp this year? I've liked him since we drafted him. I didn't realize the year he had last year.
    Chicago Cubs: Trade deadline time...yay...
    Tennessee Titans: In Whiz we trust.
    Utah Jazz: Aussie Aussie Aussie, Exum baby! Nice Rodney Hood thievery. Now get Gordo resigned.

vCash
    I don't place a lot of faith in low minors ISO for guys with even above-average speed. It's easy to stretch out a lot of softly-hit doubles against minor league defenses.

4 home runs in a full season is awful power, especially when you consider the guy was old for his leagues.

Sure, Pierre isn't a perfect comp, but the "but he hit 10 home runs!" defenses are also looking a bit exposed.
    I know your position on minor league ISO, but we're comparing him to Juan Pierre, himself a speedster who would've had the same advantage in the minors. Juan Pierre had a .070 ISO in class A.

4 HRs in a season is by no means great, but Pierre hit 1 HR in his entire minor league career.

Pierre: 1 HR in 315 minor league games
    Szczur: 14 HR in 246 minor league games (plus a couple more in rookie and summer leagues)

That's not an "imperfect comp." It's an insult.

And that's all I'm saying. I'm not telling you to be excited about Szczur's power potential or anything like that. I'm just illustrating why KLaw rates dead last on the list of evaluators whose opinions on Szczur I'm interested in hearing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I don't doubt he's fast - 60 speed is fast. It's that he's elite level fast. A possibly trivial detail online but an elite tool vs a solidly above average one is a difference.
    60 is like plus or above average. I think a 4.4 guy has to be a bit better than that, especially in baseball where the field isn't loaded with 4.4 guys. It's just my opinion, that he is at least a 65, but it's not like I scout for a living.

Page 49 of 75 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast