Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where would you rank the Cubs minor league system?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7, 8 or 9

16 28.07%
  • 10, 11 or 12

31 54.39%
  • 13, 14 or 15

10 17.54%
Page 42 of 75 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    vCash
    CaliforniaRaisin on NSBB said that Lake has been playing mostly in the OF for his Fall League.

He's making a run at player of the league with this line:

113 AB, .336 BA, .402 OBP, .478 SLG, .879 OPS, 4 HRs, 33/11 K/BB, 8/1 S/CS (with 5 errors)

vCash
    Does Lake just like fall weather or what?

vCash
    Whats the level of comp. like in the fall league? Should he be performing this well or is it note worthy regardless?

vCash
    Well Vitters got kicked out of his, and all these leagues tend to expect the players to play. No real guess other. This is his second straight strong fall performance. He really was not bad in AA either. I don't think it's out of the picture for him to pull what Vitters did in the PCL this year.

vCash
    Everything looks great with Lake's line except the K/BB, still disappointing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KushCubs View Post
    Everything looks great with Lake's line except the K/BB, still disappointing.
    And the errors...Especially if they are coming in the OF

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Whats the level of comp. like in the fall league? Should he be performing this well or is it note worthy regardless?
    Mixed, but usually fairly weak.

Bryan LaHair, who was figured out in about a month in the MLB, was the MLB Fall League Player of the Year last year in Venezuela.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Weak relative to the MLB of course, which should be a given. For non-29 year old lifers, say a 22 year old just finishing up AA, it should probably be a relative challenge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Weak relative to the MLB of course, which should be a given. For non-29 year old lifers, say a 22 year old just finishing up AA, it should probably be a relative challenge.
    Meh, I wouldn't even say that. It's made up mainly of the Venezuelans with a handful of MLB and minor league talent spread out on team-per-team.

I'd say it's weaker than AA. At best it's the same. I'm not knocking Lake's accomplishments but it's nothing that's going to change my opinion on him either. Short sample size and questionable talent level.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Jed Hoyer on Junior Lake, who continues to rip up the Dominican Winter League: “Junior is an amazing athlete. He has the ability to move around. When you have a guy who can play short and third and left and center field, I think we’ll use all that athleticism. We don’t know exactly what his final home will be but it’s been nice to get reports from [long time scout and Dominican manager] Dave Jauss from the Dominican Republic talking about [Lake's] performance and development. I hope he can springboard off a good winter ball and head into Spring Training with some confidence.” This is the second straight season that Lake has dominated a post-season league (last year it was the AFL). He remains an enigma: a physical talent with skills he can’t harness consistently, and enough defensive ability at a variety of positions to maybe be passable, but not enough (yet) to be great at any one spot.
    http://www.bleachernation.com/2012/12/0 ... r-bullets/

vCash
    By John Sickels, "Chicago Cubs Top 20 Prospects for 2013."

Top 20 are below. More discussion and analysis of the system after the jump.

1) Javier Baez, SS, Grade A: Borderline A-. Has some rough edges with the strike zone and plays a bit recklessly at times, but his bat speed is so good he gets away with an overaggressive approach. Should produce plenty of power and batting average, and I expect the discipline will improve. Even his defense was better than expected. Gary Sheffield comps may prove quite valid.

2) Albert Almora, OF, Grade B+: Solid or better tools in all categories, excellent makeup. Was supposed to have good plate discipline but he only walked twice in 145 plate appearances, which is unacceptably low. However he kept his strikeouts under control and scouts believe he will adjust.

3) Jorge Soler, OF, Grade B+: Highly impressive power/speed combo from the Cuban defector. Main advantage Almora has at this point is a better birthday, but I love Soler. Another Sammy Sosa?

4) Dan Vogelbach, 1B, Grade B: Borderline B+. I'm having the courage of my convictions with this one. This guy is not just a masher, he's got excellent pure hitting skills too, and he's worked hard to get himself into better shape. Could end up as a Prince Fielderish run producer if everything maxes out.

5) Arodys Vizcaino, RHP, Grade B-: Rating is cautious until we see how rapidly he bounces back from Tommy John surgery.

6) Brett Jackson, OF, Grade B-: Tough ranking. All the tools are here, love the power/speed combination and he'll take a walk, but his strikeout problem could destroy his career if he doesn't make some adjustments.

7) Dillon Maples, RHP, Grade B-: Could develop into a number two starter due to promising fastball/curveball combination, but we need more data from higher levels to see if his command improves and if his mechanics (which some scouts don't like) become an issue.

8) Christian Villanueva, 3B, Grade B-: Nice pickup from the Rangers. Outstanding glove at third base, gap power, superior makeup. Needs to tighten up the strike zone but I think he can.

9) Matt Szczur, OF, Grade B-: I don't like him as much as some people do, but the tools are obvious. At worst he should be a good reserve outfielder with speed and defense, but it is still an open question if he hits enough to play regularly.

10) Pierce Johnson, RHP, Grade B-: Solid all-around, good fastball and strong curve, throws strikes, main worry is history of forearm troubles. Mid-rotation starter if his arm holds up.

11) Gioskar Amaya, 2B, Grade B-: I think he will take a huge step forward in 2013. Defense at second base is better than it was at shortstop. He's got pop, can steal bases, and has a good swing.

12) Duane Underwood, RHP, Grade B-: Borderline C+: One of my favorite players from the 2012 draft. He's erratic but was also one of the youngest guys in the entire draft class. When right, he's got upper-90s velocity and promising secondary pitches. Needs more consistency in all respects, as his velocity varies and his command is problematic.

13) Josh Vitters, 3B, Grade C+: Borderline B-. Maybe I'm underestimating him and this is just psychological prospect fatigue. I can see a B- case and ranking him as high as 11th. But after watching him many times over the years, I remain unimpressed with the glove, and if he ends up at first base the pressure on the bat will grow all the stronger.

14) Junior Lake, SS, Grade C+: Borderline B-: As with Vitters, I can see ranking him ahead of Underwood due to his proximity to the majors. Lake's tools are tremendous but he is still a very raw and frustrating player. He could turn into Nelson Cruz, or Angel Berroa.

15) Jeimer Candelario, 3B, Grade C+: Although his power production sagged in the Northwest League, he's young for the level and scouts still think he'll hit for average and power as he moves up. Poor defense will likely result in a positional switch at some point. Could be much higher next year.

16) Juan Carlos Paniagua, RHP, Grade C+: Scouting reports about his power arm are certainly intriguing, but let's see how it pans out. Could be much higher once we get some objective data.

17) Paul Blackburn, RHP, Grade C+: Doesn't have Underwood or Paniagua's upside, but he's quite polished and has strong pitchability and makeup.

18) Marco Hernandez, SS, Grade C+: Defense gets strong reviews and he's got a chance to hit, too. Hernandez/Candelario/Amaya is a hell of an infield for Low-A in '13.

19) Arismendy Alcantara, SS, Grade C+: In the middle of a strong age 20 breakout season (.302/.339/.447 with 25 steals) in High-A when he got injured, but healthy now and back in action in the Dominican Winter League.

20) Barret Loux, RHP, Grade C+: Could be a useful fourth starter, and soon, assuming that he stays healthy. Medical record is long, but he hasn't had issues since getting into pro ball.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Damn that's allot of B's

vCash
    Thoughts...

- Not sure I agree with the straight A on Baez. Sheffield destroys him as far as plate discipline is concerned.

- Vogelbach over Vizcaino at 4 is aggressive and I like it. Vizcaino to me gets a little overrated because he’s the only upper level pitching prospect who seems to be any good and can be a starter in 2013.

- I think both Hernandez and Candelario are better prospects than Amaya and Paniagua is a better pitching prospect than Maples. All three could fly up next year.

- Question: At this stage in their careers, Lee or Hernandez as a SS prospect?

- Pierce Johnson is way more interesting to me as a late inning power arm in the mold of a David Robertson than as a starter. His injury history is deeeeep like the ocean and my soul.

- Christian Villanueva is my AA or higher breakout candidate for 2013.

- Personally lean Underwood over Maples, but not sure 2012/2013 is the year that this is an issue

That's what a I posted there, so I figured I would bring it here.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    I can't help but notice how far down Logan Watkins is, and I like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dc634 View Post
    And the errors...Especially if they are coming in the OF
    Isn't this really his first year trying out the outfielders. Those errors have to be expected with the position change.

Page 42 of 75 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast