Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where would you rank the Cubs minor league system?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7, 8 or 9

16 28.07%
  • 10, 11 or 12

31 54.39%
  • 13, 14 or 15

10 17.54%
Page 41 of 75 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Sickles update:

I'm am frantically working on the Chicago Cubs prospect list and hope to have it finished tonight or tomorrow morning. I ran into some delays here...my wife got pneumonia and both of my kids have been sick, too. Fortunately I have been spared the contagion, but I've been having to pull extra household and sick family member patrol duty this week in addition to my work.

In any event, I have got the Cubs list down to 41 players. Of those 41, 24 have been graded with the following results.

One Grade B+. This is a borderline grade and may get bumped up to A-.
    Two Grade B
    Five Grade B-
    10 Grade C+
    Six Grade C

Remember that I don't do these alphabetically. A through C have not been graded, H and M have not been graded.

-------

The B+ is Soler obviously.

The Bs I would guess are Vogelbach and Vizcaino, though it might be Paniagua instead.

B-s I would guess are Vizcaino/Paniagua, Underwood, and then I get lazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Sickles update:

I'm am frantically working on the Chicago Cubs prospect list and hope to have it finished tonight or tomorrow morning. I ran into some delays here...my wife got pneumonia and both of my kids have been sick, too. Fortunately I have been spared the contagion, but I've been having to pull extra household and sick family member patrol duty this week in addition to my work.

In any event, I have got the Cubs list down to 41 players. Of those 41, 24 have been graded with the following results.

One Grade B+. This is a borderline grade and may get bumped up to A-.
    Two Grade B
    Five Grade B-
    10 Grade C+
    Six Grade C

Remember that I don't do these alphabetically. A through C have not been graded, H and M have not been graded.

-------

The B+ is Soler obviously.

The Bs I would guess are Vogelbach and Vizcaino, though it might be Paniagua instead.

B-s I would guess are Vizcaino/Paniagua, Underwood, and then I get lazy.
    You don't think the B+ is Baez?

EDIT: Sickels says in his comments that Soler was the B+/borderline A-. That's awesome.

vCash
    He hasn't done A thru C meaning Baez/Almora have yet to be ranked I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoy326 View Post
    He hasn't done A thru C meaning Baez/Almora have yet to be ranked I believe.

yep he has graded 24 of the top 41 prospects but A-c hasnt been graded

vCash
    Here is the grade breakdown. This isn’t final yet, may be some adjustments in the B-/C+ range.

One Grade A
    Two Grade B+
    One Grade B
    Nine Grade B-
    16 Grade C+
    13 Grade C
    Update.

Baez as the A?

vCash
    Update.

Baez as the A?
    Prob. and Almora is the other B+.

vCash
    Sickels :

You will be seeing a lot of grades in the coming weeks. I am often asked what the grades that I give players mean. The big secret here (well it isn't a secret really if you've read my stuff) is that I don't like giving players grades. Grades are, at best, shorthand. Nevertheless, everybody wants grades, so here is how I define them.

Grade A prospects are the elite. They have a good chance of becoming stars or superstars. Grade A prospects should develop into major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don't intervene. Note that is a major "if" in some cases.

Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role.

Grade C prospects are the most common type. These are guys who have something positive going for them, but who have a significant question mark or three, or who are just too far away from the majors to get an accurate feel for. A few Grade C guys, especially at the lower levels, do develop into stars. Many end up as role players or bench guys. Some don't make it at all.

Also note that there is diversity within each category and there are many borderline cases. A player rated as a Grade B+ may every well become a star, but there may be something that gives some doubt at this stage of his career, for example a player with great tools but who lacks refinement, experience, or who we just don't have a lot of data for. A Grade C+ is actually good praise coming from me, and some C+ prospects turn out very well indeed.

Again, keep in mind that all grades are shorthand. You have to read the full comment for my full opinion about a player, the letter grade only tells you so much. A Grade C prospect in rookie ball could end up being very impressive, while a Grade C prospect in Triple-A is likely just a future role player.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...at-grades-mean

vCash
    We didn't have an A prospect on last year's list, and we've nearly doubled the number of prospects B- and better.

vCash
    ^ Two top 10 picks in a row, a top tier IFA that has to spend some time in the minors, and a well done firesale will do that.

vCash
    ^ Two top 10 picks in a row, a top tier IFA that has to spend some time in the minors, and a well done firesale will do that.
    Agreed, except our fire sale failed miserably.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Prob. and Almora is the other B+.
    I think it could be vice versa possibly as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Ya it wouldn't shock me. I think Almora's floor might be a bit better them Baez's and reading his grading he seems to fit that role of worst case he is a serviceable player in the Majors.

vCash
    David Kaplan ‏@thekapman
    How about this: When Cubs drafted Vitters the guy that Tim Wilken wanted but wasn't allowed to sign was Orioles star catcher Matt Wieters.

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman
    That was before Ricketts took over and money wasn't there for over slot signings. Wilken loved him.

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman
    In addition 2 Wieters, Cubs were close to drafting Jarrod Parker that draft. Mgmt didn't want risk of HS arm They had Vitters below other 2

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman
    Look, here's the deal. Hendry was told in '06 to spend + try to win immediately. He spent and came close. That came at the expense of draft
    Hmk.

vCash
    Baez was already on last year's list, so one of those top picks isn't one of the new additions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    Ya it wouldn't shock me. I think Almora's floor might be a bit better them Baez's and reading his grading he seems to fit that role of worst case he is a serviceable player in the Majors.
    Doubt it. Sickels put out his preliminary top-50 hitters list a couple months ago. Almora and Soler were #35 and #36, respectfully. Baez was #5.

Page 41 of 75 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast