Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where would you rank the Cubs minor league system?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7, 8 or 9

16 28.07%
  • 10, 11 or 12

31 54.39%
  • 13, 14 or 15

10 17.54%
Page 31 of 75 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Wouldn't that actually back up the people want to lose next year for a better pick?
    #Turtlepower

Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Wouldn't that actually back up the people want to lose next year for a better pick?
    No, but I'd love to hear your reasoning as to why, I guess.

They made one pick in the top 2 last decade and put out some of the best Cubs teams in 20 years despite getting only one truly great season from that guy. I hardly see the solution to do better than that being "get more top 2 picks." I'd say it's hit that pick, keep him healthy, and don't let him be the only significant talent to come out of the system for the next decade.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-16-2012 at 01:15 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    In a way. But as always with these arguments, that ignores the downsides. It's like saying "Doesn't the baserunner going from first to second back up the sac bunt?" Well, yes, but you are ignoring the out you give up.

You are far more likely to get an impact player at the top of the draft. That's the baserunner advanced.

We also lose one of our finite seasons to try to win the championship, and severely damage our chances (through neglect) of winning one in the next year or two. That's the out you gave up.

Whether or not they balance out if obviously a matter of some conjecture and debate.

vCash
    I still don't see the point of hiring a highly analytical and significantly larger FO with more scouts, updated scouting technology, and a slew of new coaches at all levels if the only way to come up with talent internally is to have the highest draft picks...What's been gained then besides a more well received face of the franchise?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I still don't see the point of hiring a highly analytical and significantly larger FO with more scouts, updated scouting technology, and a slew of new coaches at all levels if the only way to come up with talent internally is to have the highest draft picks...What's been gained then besides a more well received face of the franchise?
    Theoretically you get your high draft picks, they get you a strong core to start. Then you use the intelligence of drafting to add depth in later rounds and when the team gets good you can use your late round picks coupled with said front office and coaching to keep churning out a couple nice pieces that can be used to eventually replace the big names.

Theoretically.

In a perfect world.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Theoretically you get your high draft picks, they get you a strong core to start. Then you use the intelligence of drafting to add depth in later rounds and when the team gets good you can use your late round picks coupled with said front office and coaching to keep churning out a couple nice pieces that can be used to eventually replace the big names.

Theoretically.

In a perfect world.
    *Every Simpsons shudder ever*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    *Every Simpsons shudder ever*
    I'm just the messenger.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    I guess we won't know for 5 or so years, how benificial, or how much better Baez, Almora, and whatever #2 is next year are over guys in the 15-20 range those three years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    I guess we won't know for 5 or so years, how benificial, or how much better Baez, Almora, and whatever #2 is next year are over guys in the 15-20 range those three years.
    And we'll never, ever know what we could have done in the intervening years. So it's all counterfactual anyway.

vCash
    Winter League update by Carrie Muskat:

Junior Lake went 2-for-5 on Wednesday, and was batting .361 for Estrellas de Oriente, leading the Dominican winter league in batting average. Lake has two home runs, six doubles and 10 RBIs. Christian Villanueva, whom the Cubs got from the Rangers in the Ryan Dempster deal, was batting .206 for Yaquis de Obregon in Mexican league action. He was 2-for-3 on Tuesday, hitting his second home run.

Josh Vitters was listed on the roster for Leones del Caracas in Venezuela, but has yet to play. Tony Campana also has joined Leones. In Venezuela, Luis Valbuena was hitting .318 with one home run and seven doubles in 19 games with Cardenales de Lara while Ty Wright was batting .247 with three doubles, two triples and one home run in 20 games for Tigres de Aragua.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Junior Lake = Rodney Dangerfield of the farm system

No respect, I tell ya.

Note: This does not mean Junior Lake is a super prospect.

vCash
    I can never decide if I want the Cubs to trade Junior Lake or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    I can never decide if I want the Cubs to trade Junior Lake or not.
    You probably shouldn't - the other organizations don't seem to value him much - so we're not likely to get much even if he is dealt.

"But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."

- Romans 8:25

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    You probably shouldn't - the other organizations don't seem to value him much - so we're not likely to get much even if he is dealt.
    Bingo. I more sway between deciding if he's a legitimate prospect or a hope-and-a-dream, more myself.

There are months when you say "Lake's got it" and other months you go "Lake's still a mess".
    Don't give up on us now...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry, House of Burgess, 1775
    Give me the playoffs...or give me death!!

vCash
    Yeah, he's surely an enigma.

Page 31 of 75 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast