Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where would you rank the Cubs minor league system?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7, 8 or 9

16 28.07%
  • 10, 11 or 12

31 54.39%
  • 13, 14 or 15

10 17.54%
Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    vCash
    John Perrotto:

#Pirates have suffered a huge blow by losing Mike Leuzinger, who was clearly their top domestic amateur scout.

Leuzinger declined the Pirates' contract offer and became a free agent. He will have another job by no later than tomorrow morning if he so desires. I'm finalizing the Pirates' top 30 prospects for Baseball America now and six of them were signed by Leuzinger. He also played an instrumental role -- along with a $5-million bonus check -- in convincing Josh Bell to forgo his scholarship to Texas and sign with the Pirates when NO ONE thought Bell would sign.
    Posting because of the possible IFA hype around here two seasons back. Keith Law:

Just saw Dodgers LHP Onelki Garcia throw two innings in Mesa, up to 95, offspeed wasn't great
    Some footage of Garcia back in September.
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 11-12-2012 at 03:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    Muskat in her natural habitat. Picking the best questions to answer of course...
    What a great concept.... could really improve your minor league system by picking the best minor league teams... LOL 31 to 1st in one week...

vCash
    err 30th to 1st... we were never that bad... felt like it though.

vCash
    I saw some Garcia and....meh. Reliever mechanics to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu+ View Post
    John Perrotto:

Posting because of the possible IFA hype around here two seasons back. Keith Law:

Some footage of Garcia back in September.
    Hmm, I hope the Cubs can snatch up that scout, if he's that good

vCash
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=18826

BP at the WWBA.

Some interesting ones:

Wesley Jones | SS | Redan HS (Stone Mountain, GA)
    6-foot-2/180 pounds | right/right profile | draft day age 17y 10mo | Univ. of Georgia commit

Monster player; physical; athletic; played with strength and coordination on both sides of the ball; actions at shortstop were clean and easy; gobbled up the easy plays; made a few difficult ones; controls his body very well; lacks plus range; 5 runner; bigger second gear, but slow accelerator and slow times to 1B (4.7 range); arm is a 7; quick release and accurate; fearless player over the base; instincts are obvious; profiles better at 3B because of limited range; has quick stroke at the plate; works opposite field; controls the barrel and can stay back on pitches; makes loud contact and can really drive the ball; hit tool impressed me; power was hard to read, but bat speed and strength were present; made big plays in big games; won tournament MVP; shows more now skills than big projections; I saw a future big leaguer.–Jason Parks
    Travis Demeritte | 3B/RHP | Winder Barrow HS (Winder, GA)
    6-foot-1/185 pounds | right/right profile | draft day age 18y 8mo | Univ. of South Carolina commit

Wow player; very high baseball IQ; very easy to see on-the-field leadership skills and work ethic; plays the game with purpose and passion; athletic, with fluid movements; played a very good third base; clean actions; good reactions and feel; covered a lot of ground; arm is a 7; makes every play he can get to; remarkable field awareness; if he played shortstop I’d call him a no doubt first round talent; bat flashed some potential; bat speed was present; likes to pull the ball; shows power potential; love the hands; love the approach; doesn’t get cheated; speed is only average, with home-to-first times in the 4.3 range; good second-gear and base running ability; total gamer; bat is probably only average, but has legit pop, good defensive profile at 3B, and well above-average feel for the game; he’s a likely candidate to over-perform projection; future major leaguer; will be around game forever.–Jason Parks
    Austin Meadows | OF| Grayson HS (Grayson, GA)
    6-foot-3/205 pounds | left/left profile | draft day age 18y 1mo | Clemson Univ. commit

First Take: Standout size; looks like a young Josh Hamilton in a uniform (aesthetics only); high-end athlete; easy plus speed; good arm; shows easy power with flick of the wrists; hit tool was underwhelming in small sample; swing wasn’t short to the ball; took time to loop into zone; stayed too tall and lost lower-half; didn’t crush average stuff; didn’t dominate on either side of the ball; looks the part of five-tool first rounder, but didn’t stand out in game action.–Jason Parks

Second Take: Games were heavily attended by scouting directors, a sign that he enters the final eight months high on clubs’ draft boards. Impressive frame. Don't see as center fielder. Good feel for strike zone. Left handed hitter did not have big production when I was at diamond. Aggressive approach, good athlete. Looking forward to seeing more of him.–Dan Evans
    First Take: McClure makes solid contact, hits for power, and can flat our run. Reminds me a lot of a young Jose Reyes both in ability and stature. He’s committed to Georgia Tech, but my guess is he’ll never become a Yellow Jacket.–Joe Hamrahi

Second Take: Really raised stock over past four months; bat beginning to manifest some pop in-game; plenty of speed to swipe the extra base and displays solid selective aggressiveness in doing so; chance for plus defensive profile; high follow for spring with chance for Day 1 attention; big weekend in front of decision makers.–Nick Faleris
    First Take: The real deal. Martinez has a rocket arm and great footwork behind the dish, a good eye at the plate and gap power to all fields. Easily a day one 2013 draft pick in my book.–Joe Hamrahi

Second Take: Big competitor; focused; really liked the arm behind the plate; footwork was a little heavy, but achieved proper throwing position and was able to show a sub-2 pop; easy plus arm; good receiver; intelligent player; good stick; chases above the letters, but has bat speed and barreling ability; uses hands well; has some gap pop; really good looking player; saw more 3B action than behind the plate; lacks speed; below-average range; big arm capable of big plays; actions didn’t stand out; focused when on-the-field; games and competes; shows leadership skills.–Jason Parks
    Best Pitcher:
    Jonah Wesely | LHP | Tracy HS (CA) | UCLA commit (2 votes)
    Jake Brentz | OF/LHP | Parkway South HS (MO) | Jefferson College commit
    Devin Williams | RHP | Hazelwood West HS (MO) | Univ. of Missouri commit

Best Position Player:
    Dominic Smith | 1B/OF/LHP | Serra HS (CA) | Univ. of Southern Calif. commit
    Justin Williams | OF | Terrebonne HS (LA) | LSU commit
    Travis Demeritte | 3B/RHP | Winder Barrow HS (GA) | Univ. of South Carolina commit
    Wesley Jones | SS | Redan HS (GA) | Univ. of Georgia commit

vCash
    What sticks out is that Meadows, Jones, and Demeritte are all from Georgia. Which got me thinking: Georgia has been cranking out a lot of first/supplemental round picks the last 10-12 years or so...Obviously it's not California or Florida, but still a pretty substantial amount.

...and I decided to make a list (likely missed some, I know):

Adam Wainwright
    Mark Teixeira (Georgia Tech)
    Jeff Francoeur
    Matt Murton (GT)
    Matt Wieters (GT)
    Jason Heyward
    Tim Beckham
    Gordon Beckham
    Joshua Fields
    Donovan Tate
    Zach Wheeler
    Delino DeShields Jr.
    Deck McGuire (GT)
    Jake Skole
    Kaleb Cowart
    Cam Bedrosian
    Jed Bradley (GT)
    Kevin Matthews
    Zach Cone
    Larry Greene
    Dwight Smith
    Byron Buxton
    Lucas Sims
    Luke Bard (GT)
    Matt Olson

vCash
    Saw that list a few days ago Gato. That Wesley Jones kid intrigues me, as does Travis Demeriette.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=18826

BP at the WWBA.

Some interesting ones:
    I know southpaw catchers don't usually exist at the ML level for a good reason but this part about Dominic Smith was pretty awesome:

Had the best pure swing in the tournament. It was fluid and smooth, and he barreled just about everything he hit. Smith went the other way with authority and is a scout’s dream of a hitter. The kid can do just about everything, including catch; registered a pop time of 1.84.–Joe Hamrahi

vCash
    Is there any chance that some of these top catchers drop to the compensation/second round?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Of course there is.

Also, Martinez is one who has a shot at joining the possibly 1-2 group.

Edit:

Name to watch is NJ catching prospect Matthew Thaiss. Well...there's a bunch of names to watch.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 11-13-2012 at 05:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    Is there any chance that some of these top catchers drop to the compensation/second round?
    From what I've read so far, the catching class this year is considered pretty deep.

Agree about Martinez. He could slide up to 1-2 discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    What sticks out is that Meadows, Jones, and Demeritte are all from Georgia. Which got me thinking: Georgia has been cranking out a lot of first/supplemental round picks the last 10-12 years or so...Obviously it's not California or Florida, but still a pretty substantial amount.

...and I decided to make a list (likely missed some, I know):

Adam Wainwright
    Mark Teixeira (Georgia Tech)
    Jeff Francoeur
    Matt Murton (GT)
    Matt Wieters (GT)
    Jason Heyward
    Tim Beckham
    Gordon Beckham
    Joshua Fields
    Donovan Tate
    Zach Wheeler
    Delino DeShields Jr.
    Deck McGuire (GT)
    Jake Skole
    Kaleb Cowart
    Cam Bedrosian
    Jed Bradley (GT)
    Kevin Matthews
    Zach Cone
    Larry Greene
    Dwight Smith
    Byron Buxton
    Lucas Sims
    Luke Bard (GT)
    Matt Olson
    corey/eric patterson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsFanBudMan74 View Post
    corey/eric patterson
    touche hahaha

vCash
    AZ Phil:

Junior Lake is a terrible defensive 3rd baseman. He is a much better shortstop than a 3rd baseman, but he really should be moved to RF.

Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast