Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where would you rank the Cubs minor league system?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • 7, 8 or 9

16 28.07%
  • 10, 11 or 12

31 54.39%
  • 13, 14 or 15

10 17.54%
Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hrubes20 View Post
    He doesn't try to shorten his swing AT ALL when he has 2 strikes on him. He can be down 0-2 in the count and he will still swing as hard as he can at a breaking ball low and away. He's only 19, but it definately bears watching.
    You just described what a slap hitter, or Punch and Judy hitter does. That's not what we are looking for in Baez. Power hitters don't "shorten" their swing. This is what we WANT him to do. Swing hard baby!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    You just described what a slap hitter, or Punch and Judy hitter does. That's not what we are looking for in Baez. Power hitters don't "shorten" their swing. This is what we WANT him to do. Swing hard baby!!
    The best hitter in the game (though I loathe him), who also happens to have a bit of power, Joey Votto, still raises his hand slot and shortens his swing with two strikes. Good hitters control their violent bat speed, which Baez needs to learn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    Good find and good call. Its encouraging because what we heard on draft day was a direct contrast.
    I'm thinking he had the ability of a high school kid that was eons ahead of everybody he crossed paths with, and had that same attitude to go with that.

He's a little older, and obviously a little more humble. His attitude has clearly changed. Good stuff!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbullsbears2 View Post
    The best hitter in the game (though I loathe him), who also happens to have a bit of power, Joey Votto, still raises his hand slot and shortens his swing with two strikes. Good hitters control their violent bat speed, which Baez needs to learn.
    I agree. And I'm sure he will cut down, or shorten up a little as he sees his numbers fall. And it appears scouts already know he struggles with the breaking ball. I just don't want to see him become a defensive, contact type of hitter. We have something special here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Don't think Baez has a real shot at unseating Castro at all to be honest. The praise for his D was nice this year, but I have almost no doubts that Castro is the better, rangier athlete for the SS position.
    In this particular scenario, I thinks it's more of unseating Barney than Castro, to make room for Baez. Just my feeling.....

vCash
    I agree. And I'm sure he will cut down, or shorten up a little as he sees his numbers fall. And it appears scouts already know he struggles with the breaking ball. I just don't want to see him become a defensive, contact type of hitter. We have something special here.
    No one has suggested anything of the like. People have correctly pointed out that on two strikes he does need to shorten his swing to a point and he needs to be a little less long on the breaking ball. Complete hitters do not have these holes in their swing. The goal for Baez isn't simply "power power power" but to be a complete player.

I'd rather not have a high strike out - fastball only type of a hitter if we don't have to. It's his two strike and pitch selection mentality that need to be tweaked....not everything. And that's what's being suggested here.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    So, you said that power hitters don't "shorten" their swing, yet when given the example of Joey Votto, you agree, and then say that you think he will shorten his swing?

vCash
    I think thawv just misunderstood what you said initially. Obviously nobody in the game of baseball would want to change Baez into a Slappy Sally guy. But adjustments have to be made according to the situation and it doesn't behoove him to always swing out of his shoes. If he doesn't learn to identify breaking balls, he will never reach his true potential.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    I think thawv just misunderstood what you said initially. Obviously nobody in the game of baseball would want to change Baez into a Slappy Sally guy. But adjustments have to be made according to the situation and it doesn't behoove him to always swing out of his shoes. If he doesn't learn to identify breaking balls, he will never reach his true potential.
    The thing about Garry Sheffield, since that comp has been placed on Baez's bat speed, was he had an incredible feel for the strike zone and was great at not striking out. Sheff was amazing at adjusting to what he was thrown. It's a difficult skill to learn. I hate having to wait 7 months to see what Baez has learned since it'll be a long time until we can see what direction he's going next season.

vCash
    Daytona OF Anthony Giansanti:

If anyone in the NE area needs any help at all, I have two very capable helping hands. #BeatSandy
    Jasvir Rakkar:

Minor league pitchers may have to wear helmets next year.... Is this forreal? Common mannnn
    Last edited by Yagyu+; 10-30-2012 at 04:11 PM.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
    Agreed. RT @pgammo: Many teams tried to lure Derek Johnson away from Vanderbilt, Cubs did it as minor lg pitching coordinator. Great hire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hrubes20 View Post
    So, you said that power hitters don't "shorten" their swing, yet when given the example of Joey Votto, you agree, and then say that you think he will shorten his swing?
    I concede that he will HAVE to shorten his swing A LITTLE. If he cuts down too much, he is likely no longer gonna be the player we drafted and the player we all expect him to be.

vCash
    I concede that he will HAVE to shorten his swing A LITTLE. If he cuts down too much, he is likely no longer gonna be the player we drafted and the player we all expect him to be.
    If he wouldn't have gotten promoted, I might have agreed with you and thought maybe he just is talented enough to do this. But he has gotten exposed in Daytona and Arizona, for the most part. He most definitely needs to make an adjustment or else he won't be having success in the double-A, let alone the major leagues, anytime soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubsfan365 View Post
    keithlaw ‏@keithlaw
    Agreed. RT @pgammo: Many teams tried to lure Derek Johnson away from Vanderbilt, Cubs did it as minor lg pitching coordinator. Great hire
    I wonder how much of it was the position he got and how much was wanting to work in the system. I hope he had some desire to work with the cubs, nice to have people who want to be here
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I wonder how much of it was the position he got and how much was wanting to work in the system. I hope he had some desire to work with the cubs, nice to have people who want to be here
    That's the beauty of the superfriends, people see they're changing the culture and want to be a part of it. Everyone sees that Theo and Co. have been given carte blanche to make cultural changes where they see fit and I think we have an advantage in that there will be a lot of people would like to be a part of the end of our WS drought.

Page 15 of 75 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast