Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I like McCann but idk really, he really isn't that good anymore
    Seattle Seahawks- New Orleans Pelicans- Atlanta Braves- Anaheim Ducks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogdco View Post
    2/3s of the season? where do you get that from? He will be back after the first month of the season... or did I miss something after the surgery?
    Shoulder injuries are notorious for being difficult to rehab. They're saying he'll miss the first month, but it would not surprise me at all for him to miss six to eight weeks of the season. And even if he does get back on the field sooner than I think, there's a very good chance he's not up to full speed until June or later. So you're paying $12 million for two-thirds of a season.

vCash
    It does take awhile to fully recover from a shoulder surgery, not to mention time to take to be at full strength (throwing, swinging, ect..). I see this everyday...

vCash
    The Braves will likely need another catcher for that month (or more). Unless they want to go with Boscan, they will have to pick one up in FA. It's sounding more and more viable to pick up a good platoon partner for Ross and save what's left after the new catcher's salary is taken from $12M.

I can't see McCann returning to the Braves after 2013 regardless. He belongs in the AL. Also, Wren isn't scared of negative publicity as evidenced by his handling of Glavine and Smoltz. He'll make shrewd moves that he feels betters the team.

vCash
    Might get A.J. Pierzynski or Russell Martin through FA.....
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta_braves/index.html
    Looks like it's "no longer appealing". Wouldn't be a bad idea to strengthen the C position at this point based on that article. Surgery was "extensive".
    Last edited by Getting UGGLA; 10-26-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    Have to say that when it finally came down to it, I was a little disappointed to see McCann's option exercised. Taking the risks that (a) he doesn't miss much time recovering from surgery; and (b) once he does come back, he's the old Brian McCann, seemed a little too much for me, especially given that I'd say it's a long shot to see him sign in Atlanta long-term. He could still be traded, I suppose, but that seems unlikely given the time he could end up missing and the PR hit the Braves would take. His situation will be interesting to watch over the next year or so, and I just hope the Braves don't end up freighted with a silly long-term deal just because Mac is a hometown boy.

vCash
    That's a large invest for less than a full season of a player. Guess Wren didn't feel confident about other catchers that were available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12