Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    vCash
    It's subjective because it accounts for stolen bases and the catchers ability to stop people from running.

That's illogical, especially for Posey, because he catchers a lot of pitchers that absolutely suck at holding runners. It's not Posey's fault the pitchers have terrible moves to 1st, and a elongated deliveries with guys on 1st or 2nd.

Ask any SF fan, base stealers get tremdous jumps on their pitchers routinely.

Not fair to Posey to ding him for stuff out of his control.

vCash
    Posey is a top ten defensive catcher. Haven't seen anyone make a list of 10 better catchers. Posey had less WP and PB than Molina this season and his arm isn't too far behind Molina's either as far as strength and accuracy. Molina is the best in the league but those suggested Posey isn't top 10 just plain don't know what they are talking about or are relying heavily on CS% which is extremely flawed.
    Last edited by RTL; 11-08-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natsbats View Post
    It's subjective because it accounts for stolen bases and the catchers ability to stop people from running.

That's illogical, especially for Posey, because he catchers a lot of pitchers that absolutely suck at holding runners. It's not Posey's fault the pitchers have terrible moves to 1st, and a elongated deliveries with guys on 1st or 2nd.

Ask any SF fan, base stealers get tremdous jumps on their pitchers routinely.

Not fair to Posey to ding him for stuff out of his control.
    Did you know that Posey holds the same number of runners as his backup?

Either way, it's about being able to even control the running game in the first place. They run wildly on San Francisco, and yes, a couple of the pitchers are bad at holding runners like Linecum, but some are actually good at it too like Vogelsong and Zito. Teams are not afraid to run on Posey like they are say Miguel Montero and Yadier Molina.

vCash
    Posey is at 33% CS in his career, all his backups have combined for 30.1% caught.

It isn't out of line to think Posey is league average defensively, or slightly better than league average.

top 10, probably right about there.

Maybe top 5 by next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Posey is at 33% CS in his career, all his backups have combined for 30.1% caught.

It isn't out of line to think Posey is league average defensively, or slightly better than league average.

top 10, probably right about there.
    Chris Stewart being the major contributing factor in those skewed numbers. He's good as well. No shame in that.

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Chris Stewart being the major contributing factor in those skewed numbers. He's good as well. No shame in that.
    ****, I actually forgot about Stewart, I just did Whiteside and Sanchez.

Makes them 32.3% to Posey's 33%

vCash
    Bengie Molina was -10 with the Giants in 2009.....it's hard to try to explain that other than the pitching staff left him out to dry on may occasions.

Ask any base stealer what's the most important thing to stealing.....it's how good of a jump you can get. A great jump and it doesn't matter who is behind the plate, it is stolen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    ****, I actually forgot about Stewart, I just did Whiteside and Sanchez.

Makes them 32.3% to Posey's 33%
    Whietside and Sanchez are just 26% combined as Posey's backup. 185 attempts, 49 CS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Whietside and Sanchez are just 26% combined as Posey's backup. 185 attempts, 49 CS.
    You do need to include the end of 2009, after Posey's initial callup, and not include the games he wasn't on the roster in 2010

Sept 11 to the end of the season in 09

And then from May 29th to the end of the 10 season

vCash
    Not include the games he wasn't on the roster in 2010? Whiteside and Sanchez were still his backups catching the same pitchers! Makes no sense not to but you're right about 2009 though he only caught 4 games so the difference in negligible. Still around 26%, not 30%
    Last edited by RTL; 11-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    All I know is that lincecum is the worst pitcher I have ever seen at holding runners and bumgarner is one of the slowest pitchers to home in baseball. If u took those two pitchers and swapped them with carpenter and wainwright, posey's cs % would go way up while molina's would go down. Molina is the best and love watching him play defense but he would have no shot at throwing out 48% with lincecum pitching unless the base runners fall down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTS 4 LIFE View Post
    All I know is that lincecum is the worst pitcher I have ever seen at holding runners and bumgarner is one of the slowest pitchers to home in baseball. If u took those two pitchers and swapped them with carpenter and wainwright, posey's cs % would go way up while molina's would go down. Molina is the best and love watching him play defense but he would have no shot at throwing out 48% with lincecum pitching unless the base runners fall down.
    You haven't seen Tommy Hanson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTS 4 LIFE View Post
    Probably true.

Also, neat little bit of information:

Yadier Molina has 46 career pickoffs (5 in 2012)
    Posey has 2 (both in 2012)

Don't even get off the base lol. Molina is a lot of fun to watch. I remember him ending a game in San Diego that was rather comical. Bases were loaded in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs in a (I think) 5-4 game with the Cardinals leading.

Molina ended the game by picking the guy off on first, and his run meant nothing.

vCash
    Molina is ridiculous at picking people off first. It's almost unfair.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    You haven't seen Tommy Hanson.
    Lincecum is so bad that he tries the no look approach. He will literally not even look at the runner at second base at least 20 times a year.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast