Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

David Freese Expected to Sign With Red Sox Out of College in 2006...

Think the Red Sox could use a solid infielder who bats almost .300? Would they want a guy who had 20 home runs this year? Maybe a clutch hitter who comes up big in playoff games?

There's no way to tell whether history could have turned out differently, of course, but Boston fans can be thinking about it again as Cardinals star David Freese continues to make his mark in the postseason.

Freese, who made a name for himself with some of the timeliest hits in MLB history during last year's World Series run, was very close to playing for Boston, WEEI.com's Alex Speier reports.
    Read more at: http://www.nesn.com/2012/10/david-fr...-fame-wit.html
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    And to think he was traded for Edmonds

vCash
    Haha, Crazy how things work out.

I'd guess considering where he's from this is where he would rather be, I can only assume though.

Glad he's here. Guy is a really good hitter and a better fielder than many give him credit for

vCash

David Freese Expected to Sign With Red Sox Out of College in 2006...

Yay freese is awesome

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    glad things worked out this way lol

vCash
    We are all happy the way that turned out. Freese wouldn't have done much on the Red Sox with Youk at the 3B spot.

Matt Carpenter
    .300 AVG, 1 HR, 6 RBI, .431 OBP, .375 SLG, .806 OPS, .371 wOBA, 136 wRC+, .4 fWAR, 126 OPS+

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pujolsfan91 View Post
    We are all happy the way that turned out. Freese wouldn't have done much on the Red Sox with Youk at the 3B spot.
    Not necessarily. They may have never traded for adrien Gonzales and had youk stay at first base, where he played quite a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Not necessarily. They may have never traded for adrien Gonzales and had youk stay at first base, where he played quite a bit.
    True, but who knows how he would have developed in the minors (freese).

Matt Carpenter
    .300 AVG, 1 HR, 6 RBI, .431 OBP, .375 SLG, .806 OPS, .371 wOBA, 136 wRC+, .4 fWAR, 126 OPS+

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pujolsfan91 View Post
    True, but who knows how he would have developed in the minors (freese).
    Honestly if Freese stayed in the Padres minors I don't think he ever would have developed.

He was raking in the minors at single A. The Cardinals trade for him and say okay your ready for AAA and he did great. If the Padres kept the slow pace they did who knows what happens to Freese

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy15 View Post
    Then the Red Sox would still have Anthony Rizzo and Casey Kelly which would have been incredible from a red sox fan persective

vCash
    The fact that Mo picked Freese in return for Edmonds deserves serious kudos. I remember at the time of the trade, the Cardinals were getting a guy who was in his mid-20's and still in A or AA ball. I was underwhelmed. Even when I read it was just a matter of a logjam at the position for the Padres, I wasn't convinced. I was never happier to be proven wrong when Freese busted out the way he did.