Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen to coach 'The Ultimate Fighter 17,' fight on April 27

UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and former middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen (28-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) will serve as coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 17" on FX.

The coaching assignments, as well as an April 27 fight date, today were confirmed by the Los Angeles Times.

Due to his coaching duties, Sonnen no longer will fight Forrest Griffin (19-7 MMA, 10-5 UFC) at UFC 155 in December.

"TUF 17" filming begins Oct. 29, and the show then debuts on FX in January. The 17th edition of the UFC's long-running reality series is expected to feature middleweight and light-heavyweight fighters. Open tryouts for the tournament-based competition and show recently drew more than 120 UFC hopefuls.

Jones and Sonnen will serve as head coaches of opposing teams. As with past seasons of "TUF," their coach-vs.-coach fight will headline a pay-per-view event soon after the series' 12-week run on FX.

Sonnen, who suffered a second loss to middleweight champion Anderson Silva in his most recent bout, was targeted for a late-notice light-heavyweight fight with Jones at UFC 151. However, when Jones declined to take the fight on eight days' notice following an injury to original opponent Dan Henderson, UFC officials ultimately canceled the Sept. 1 show outright.

Although Jones said he offered to fight Sonnen a few weeks later at UFC 152, officials instead paired him up with Lyoto Machida and then ultimately Vitor Belfort, whom he submitted in the fourth round.

But since the UFC 151 cancellation, Sonnen hasn't missed an opportunity to call out Jones, even though he's currently booked to fight light heavyweight Forrest Griffin at UFC 155 in December.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Jones recently tweeted that he was warming up to the idea of fighting Sonnen.

"The more I realize how bad the fans want to see me fight Sonnen the more I am beginning to disregard whether he deserves it or not," Jones recently tweeted. "A part of me wants to do it for the fans. The other part of me feels as if it delegitimizes the importance of (the) championship."
    Wow.

So disappointing in this. Sonnen hasn't done crap to earn a shot at the belt other than talk and talk and talk.

Then again, the only reason fans want to watch TUF is to see coaches trash talk each other.
    Last edited by Knockturnal; 10-16-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    -----

vCash

Almost as big of a waste fight as Silva-Bonnar. Come on UFC, step your game up.

vCash
    I know people are excited about the ratings, and etc. This was a desperation move to save TUF, because they know the ratings are so bad. But this is a MASSIVE credibility blow to the sport, no matter how you look at it.

Chael Sonnen basically once again got a title shot by his mouth although this time it was even worse because he loses to Anderson Silva and then moves up in weight to challenge Jon Jones, are you kidding me?

This is the most undeserving title shot I of all time. (Is it even a title shot!?!??!?!)

Can someone try and argue how this fight is legit at all? What about Dan Henderson? Machida?

This was a pathetic desperation move. The UFC has become the WWE.... Also tell me again why Nick Diaz can't fight Anderson Silva??? That's as big of a freakshow as this fight is!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    I know people are excited about the ratings, and etc. This was a desperation move to save TUF, because they know the ratings are so bad. But this is a MASSIVE credibility blow to the sport, no matter how you look at it.

Chael Sonnen basically once again got a title shot by his mouth although this time it was even worse because he loses to Anderson Silva and then moves up in weight to challenge Jon Jones, are you kidding me?

This is the most undeserving title shot I of all time. (Is it even a title shot!?!??!?!)

Can someone try and argue how this fight is legit at all? What about Dan Henderson? Machida?

This was a pathetic desperation move. The UFC has become the WWE.... Also tell me again why Nick Diaz can't fight Anderson Silva??? That's as big of a freakshow as this fight is!!
    Couldnt have said it better

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    **** dana, this is embarrassing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post

EXACTLY!!! The last 3 guys to fight the top-2 fighters in the sport have been complete and UTTER trash. This is such a crock and a massive middle finger in the face of true fans of the sport.

vCash
    Agreed. What a horrendous move this is. Completely delegitimizes having the belt in the first place.

vCash
    Sonnen will destroy him for 6 weeks.

vCash
    This blows.... fing BS

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    It is

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    I havent watched TUF since Kimbo Slice was on it.

Im a big Jon Jones fan. This might actually get me to watch it ,,,,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knockturnal View Post
    Wow.

So disappointing in this. Sonnen hasn't done crap to earn a shot at the belt other than talk and talk and talk.

Then again, the only reason fans want to watch TUF is to see coaches trash talk each other.
    What are you talking about? Chael Sonnen already holds the MW and HW titles. Let's see if Jones can take one from him.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash
    I might actually attempt to watch if Chael is on it.
    Manchester City - Baltimore Ravens - Baltimore Orioles - Brooklyn Nets

vCash
    Yeah, I'll probably watch it too.

vCash
    Disappointed that he gets a title shot, but holy **** I can't wait to watch this season. It will be hysterical! Sonnen will absolutely own Jones; holy crap I can't believe this is happening hahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Kill: Graham Harrell- he's the worst thing I've ever seen... God awful. When you're watching a game thinking "why are they letting a high school cancer patient play a preseason game for make a wish foundation, he could get hurt." Then realize he's a professional, he deserves to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Walls Era View Post
    Don't talk about proper writing if you're going to use Ellipsis like an *** clown.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast