Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash

How Oregon Coach Chip Kelly Can Spark 'Moneyball' Revolution In NFL

Happened to come across this article on Chip Kelly.
    It's a shame Kelly didn't take his talents to Tampa because he would have single-handedly changed the way the NFL game is played by this point in the season. He'd turn the focus away from concussions and make people realize that football is a chess match, a game of strategy, and when played correctly, a beautiful thing.

Here's an example of how the NFL works. The Miami Dolphins were 1-15 in 2007 and started off the '08 season 0-2. In Week 3, they instituted the Wildcat offense, finished 11-3, and made the playoffs. Pundits argued that the Wildcat was a gimmick, that defenses would adjust, that it would never last, and they were partially right. Defenses did adjust, yet somehow, five years later, more than fifty percent of NFL teams have a version of the Wildcat in their playbook.

Why does this matter? Because when something catches on in the NFL, everyone jumps on the bandwagon. At first they refute it, call it a fluke, and then eventually, when a team wins 11 out of 14 games after losing 17 of its previous 18, they realize that there might be something to the newfound strategy and hurry to insert into their playbooks. The NFL is a cat and mouse league.
    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-...revolution-nfl

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 4 , Yards: 57 , TD's: 0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Happened to come across this article on Chip Kelly.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-...revolution-nfl
    I'll take chip kelly...anything to win man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    I'll take chip kelly...anything to win man
    Yeah, you have to wonder about those college guys though, with our luck we'd end up with something like the fun n' gun

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    I'd take Chip Kelly over Musgrave in a heartbeat

vCash
    Ya he's one hell of a college coach but damn just not sure how that would translate into the NFL. I mean he's done well at Oregon...don't get me wrong but I have a feeling I could do well at Oregon with what he gets facilities wise. I'd be willing to take that chance with him though, lol.

Harvey - Chip would have to be Head Coach. If he wanted just an OC then you ****ing right it would be a no brainer.

created by the one and only VCU
    Adopt-A-Viking: Adam Thielen
    Receptions: 4 , Yards: 57 , TD's: 0

vCash
    Chip Kelly and Joe Webb
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video

Adobt-A-Viking: Josh Robinson
    18 Tackles, 2 INTs, 45.7 Passer Rating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Ya he's one hell of a college coach but damn just not sure how that would translate into the NFL. I mean he's done well at Oregon...don't get me wrong but I have a feeling I could do well at Oregon with what he gets facilities wise. I'd be willing to take that chance with him though, lol.

Harvey - Chip would have to be Head Coach. If he wanted just an OC then you ****ing right it would be a no brainer.
    Oh I know the only way he's leaving Oregon is for a head coaching job and even still thats not a guarantee but I meant for the OC. Chips offensive mind is a billion times greater than Musgrave

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P Harvy View Post
    Oh I know the only way he's leaving Oregon is for a head coaching job and even still thats not a guarantee but I meant for the OC. Chips offensive mind is a billion times greater than Musgrave

66 TACKLES/4 SACKS/1 FF/3 FR/1TD
    (Season Stats)

vCash
    Vikings 'not at all pleased' with passing game, Bill Musgrave says
    There is no whitewashing a passing game that has averaged only 105 net yards, produced two measly touchdowns and added four drive-killing interceptions the last three games, so Vikings offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave did not even try.

"We're not at all pleased with our production. We need to get back on track. Everybody can sense that," Musgrave said Thursday, Nov. 8. "We're very disappointed. Not at all discouraged, but very driven and determined to get it back on track. It's a tough stage we're going through. We're going to keep working through it and get through it as fast we can."

The Vikings (5-4) have lost three of their last four games and need a firewall victory over the Detroit Lions (4-4) Sunday at the Metrodome to enter the bye with some momentum for the daunting road ahead. And reeling quarterback Christian Ponder needs to contribute to the resurgence if only to restore credibility in an offense that has become alarmingly one-dimensional behind running back Adrian Peterson.

Ponder's confidence?

"I sense that it's OK, that it's right where it was at the start of the season," Musgrave said. "None of us are pleased, and I get the sense from Christian that he's not pleased with what we're putting on the field. We're ready to get that feeling out of our mouth in a hurry."

The Vikings are reworking their protections and passing routes hoping to shake loose receivers and create more opportunities downfield.

Wide receiver Percy Harvin remains

questionable with a sprained ankle, but tight end John Carlson is expected to return after missing two-plus games because of a concussion. Musgrave said Carlson's return should provide more opportunities to get the ball to playmaker Kyle Rudolph in the two-tight-end formations that were supposed to drive this offense.
    "We had hopes. I think we can still realize those," Musgrave said. "I think it's going to come to fruition. I think we'll get that started this week if we can get him back out there which we expect to."

Peterson, who was sick and not scheduled to practice Thursday, has rushed for 100 or more yards three straight games and appears fully recovered from offseason knee surgery. He is capable of carrying a heavy workload, but he cannot carry the offense alone.

"We don't care how the ball gets into the end zone -- run, pass shovel, fumblerooski, whatever it takes," Musgrave joked. "And we know we need to have good balance."
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...ill?source=rss

Its hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if Carlson is ready to play I think this could help us. We're going to be at a disadvantage without Percy, so hopefully this will throw a nice little wrinkle in our offense (if we can even call it that).
    Last edited by 100%CHEESE FREE; 11-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    if the offense sputters like i know it will (and i dont want to think that) than musgrave needs to be fired

vCash
    Bill Musgrave
    Nov 9 - 11:07 AM

One NFL personnel man tells ESPN 1500 Twin Cities that the Vikings offense is "not going to work" once they fall behind by 10 points.

"I don't think we had any answer for Adrian whatsoever," said another NFL scout. "Me personally, I was kind of hoping you guys threw it." Teams are clamping down on Percy Harvin, taking away outlets to Kyle Rudolph, and forcing Jerome Simpson to beat them. As a result, the one-read Ponder has grown more hesitant to pass and more willing bail out of the pocket and run. His accuracy issues have also been masked by the Vikings' proclivity to pass near the line of scrimmage.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?rw=1

vCash
    We should sign TO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P Harvy View Post
    We should sign TO
    He would instantly be an upgrade and put some more spotlight on our WR corp. Last thing a DB or D-Coord wants is to have Owens make even one play on them.......Thats the truth......

vCash
    so if ponder plays terrible, and if the offense is dowright horrid to watch, the day after the game is musgrave fired? just some speculation, guesses.

vCash
    Nope 65% of the blame is on Ponder so firing Musgrave wouldn't help.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast