Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    What to people think about maybe Jimbo Fisher? He knows Ponder, and Ponder had his best season under him.
    Honestly it might be worth a shot.
    Pull your 84's out!

vCash
    Even though he may end up keeping his job, I figured I'd try to come up with a list of guys we could be looking at to replace our OC. I'm reading a few tea leaves myself but I'd say its a pretty good bet most if not all of the coaches I'm about to list are looking for jobs in January.

Tony Sparano
    Matt Cavanaugh
    Cam Cameron
    Pat Shurmur
    Hue Jackson
    Brian Daboll
    Jim Zorn
    Norv Turner
    Marty Mornhinweg
    Ken Whisenhunt

Better candidates are in bold. Norv Turner is probably the best of the guys on the list but we'd be making significant changes to our passing game if we switch over to Turner's variant of the Air Coryell offense.

Shurmur (had a pretty great season Sam Bradford's rookie year in 09), Jackson (put together a really good offense in 2011 with the Raiders) and Mornhinweg (Andy Reid's OC for most of McNabb's best years) are all west coast guys who would have more in common with what our current system is.
    Ken Whisenhunt is a bit different, being Pittsburgh's OC when Big Ben won his first SB. Their offense featured Charlie Parker pretty heavily at RB, so he knows how to use a great run game to set up the pass.

Musgrave's "unique" system was supposed to be a mix between the WCO that we ran under Chilly and Bevell and the Patriots Erhardt-Perkins offense. What we ended up with was pretty plane jane vanilla stuff, although I will give him credit for well designed run plays. Musgrave doesn't have that "killer instinct" though and this really shows in his play calling.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Even though he may end up keeping his job, I figured I'd try to come up with a list of guys we could be looking at to replace our OC. I'm reading a few tea leaves myself but I'd say its a pretty good bet most if not all of the coaches I'm about to list are looking for jobs in January.

Tony Sparano
    Matt Cavanaugh
    Cam Cameron
    Pat Shurmur
    Hue Jackson
    Brian Daboll
    Jim Zorn
    Norv Turner
    Marty Mornhinweg
    Ken Whisenhunt

Better candidates are in bold. Norv Turner is probably the best of the guys on the list but we'd be making significant changes to our passing game if we switch over to Turner's variant of the Air Coryell offense.

Shurmur (had a pretty great season Sam Bradford's rookie year in 09), Jackson (put together a really good offense in 2011 with the Raiders) and Mornhinweg (Andy Reid's OC for most of McNabb's best years) are all west coast guys who would have more in common with what our current system is.
    Ken Whisenhunt is a bit different, being Pittsburgh's OC when Big Ben won his first SB. Their offense featured Charlie Parker pretty heavily at RB, so he knows how to use a great run game to set up the pass.

Musgrave's "unique" system was supposed to be a mix between the WCO that we ran under Chilly and Bevell and the Patriots Erhardt-Perkins offense. What we ended up with was pretty plane jane vanilla stuff, although I will give him credit for well designed run plays. Musgrave doesn't have that "killer instinct" though and this really shows in his play calling.
    I think you mean Willie Parker. Charlie Parker was a jazz saxophonist and a damn good one at that.

Anyway, I am not a big fan of Shurmur. He is to conservative in his play calling if you ask me. I want a guy who is willing to take risks and will put his foot on the throat of the defense. The others you mentioned I like. Turner being my favorite. He had success with LT and isn't afraid to take risks. He will probably be the most sought after of the group you have listed. I have read somewhere he has already been contacted by five teams to be an OC next year. Hopefully we are one of those teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    I think you mean Willie Parker. Charlie Parker was a jazz saxophonist and a damn good one at that.

Anyway, I am not a big fan of Shurmur. He is to conservative in his play calling if you ask me. I want a guy who is willing to take risks and will put his foot on the throat of the defense. The others you mentioned I like. Turner being my favorite. He had success with LT and isn't afraid to take risks. He will probably be the most sought after of the group you have listed. I have read somewhere he has already been contacted by five teams to be an OC next year. Hopefully we are one of those teams.
    You beat me to it. I live in Ohio and my dad is a Browns fan so I hear about how stupid their play calling is every week. Shurmur is another vanilla OC like Musgrave.

I like Norv Turner as well but I like Ken Whisenhunt as well. If we do decide to find a new OC this off season I think the Vikings are going to be a very interesting place for these guys to look at. On one hand you have the chance to call plays for the great Adrian Peterson and a dynamic threat in Percy Harvin but on the other hand you have a young QB who regressed half way through his 2nd season as well as the worst set of wide receivers in football.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Vikings Offense - TM - Vikings
    Dec 30 - 12:26 PM

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports that Browns coach Pat Shurmur could land in Minnesota as Vikings offensive coordinator following his firing from the Browns.

In other words, Vikings current OC Bill Musgrave is not safe. Shurmur would bring to Minnesota a West Coast offense, changing schemes entering Christian Ponder's third season. This may be just informed speculation on La Canfora's part, but it's interesting nonetheless. Shurmur ran a balanced offense in Cleveland, leaning on the running game whenever game flow allowed for it.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?rw=1

vCash

Take the good with the bad, this means we're looking for a new OC. Another guy to look at would be Marty Mornhinwieig (however the **** you spell it)

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash

Disgusting...
    Pull your 84's out!

vCash
    If Jason Garrett gets fired, what you think about him running the offense

vCash
    Now that Ken Whisenhunt has been fired, out of all the guys out there I'd like to bring him in to run the offense. He ran the Steelers offense when Roethlisberger was young and the Steelers relied on the running game. This would be a familiar situation for him.

However, I do have to admit Musgrave has been much better the last few weeks calling plays. It seems to me like he's been calling plays like a guy who knows his job is on the line and I think that is why we have seen the play book open up more and the reason for the increase in playing time by Jarius Wright and more trust being given to Christian Ponder. I still don't think he should keep his job but I have to give credit when credit is due and he's been much better in recent weeks.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I think I want Musgrave back next year. That PA deep pass was such a ballsy call. I loved it. Lets keep some stability for Ponder, please.

vCash
    Hey I will eat crow here and say if this is the new type of O we are calling I will say keep Musgrave.

vCash
    I just hope if we do bring in a new OC, Rudolph will be higher than 25th in NFL TE for receiving yards next season. There is absolutely no excuse for him blocking in the wishbone and going 3 games in a row without a reception. It would also be a bonus to see a OC who's play book doesn't fit on a 2X3 index card. That thing doesn't even cover his lips!
    Minnesota Vikings

vCash
    if Musgrave was so bright and innovative, how come the game he called with Webb behind center was basically the same one he'd have called with Ponder out there...other than a couple plays in the first series..the only one where the O actually looked decent
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    if Musgrave was so bright and innovative, how come the game he called with Webb behind center was basically the same one he'd have called with Ponder out there...other than a couple plays in the first series..the only one where the O actually looked decent
    That read option isn't effective if you can't pass. I think Joe Webb dictated more of the play calling than Musgrave did. Everyone kept saying "run run run", and that's good and all, but if you're not effective in the pass game, you're not gonna be running the ball, either.

I don't see Musgrave leaving, to be honest.
    Last edited by FrankieFreakout; 01-12-2013 at 09:07 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieFreakout View Post
    That read option isn't effective if you can't pass. I think Joe Webb dictated more of the play calling than Musgrave did. Everyone kept saying "run run run", and that's good and all, but if you're effective in the pass game, you're not gonna be running the ball, either.

I don't see Musgrave leaving, to be honest.
    You ar probably right on this. Which sucks cuz I REALLY think he should be replaced.
    Hey coach. Do you have ANY idea what you are doing?
    Thats what I thought.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast