Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    vCash
    So if the twitter rumors are true, and the players have excepted the 50/50 on the condition of the owners honoring all the contracts signed this summer, my question is, can't the owners just get creative with those contracts and get the puck to center ice now? It's not like they haven't been sherking the system all along to get the guys they want. It's painfully obvious that Bettmen is through with negotiating the bigger issues. I mean this seems like a deal killer if that's what the NHLPA wants. I just don't see how it can be done. Most of the big deals signed were all front end loaded, so just take off the back end where the guys are making a million a year and really are out of their prime. I think Parise and Sutter should be able to deal with around 7 mil/5 years each, right?

vCash
    so what's going on, is it over (this deal made by the owners and their 4 rejections to the NHL counters or does this still have legs?)

vCash
    NEW YORK—While the NHL and the players' association are keeping the lines of communication open, they don't seem to be moving any closer to getting back to the bargaining table.

For the second straight day, representatives on both sides of the lockout had telephone conversations Sunday. None of those talks have yet led to concrete negotiations that could lead to an elusive collective bargaining agreement and get the delayed hockey season going.

"We had a conference call today to answer some of their questions," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Associated Press in an email Sunday. "No bargaining. And no bargaining meetings scheduled."
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...ary-bettman-of

Nothing official yet, though I haven't been following it very closely.

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha

NHL players have accepted 50/50, just honor the current contracts signed by owners (and Bettman) and we can play hockey now.
    https://twitter.com/walsha/status/260101594786443264

For whatever it's worth.

Here’s the thing to remember, however. For all the histrionics coming out of the meetings on Thursday, this much is undeniable: The players have tabled an offer that eventually takes them to a 50-50 share under reasonable circumstances, matching what the owners offered in at least one year of the agreement.

It ain’t much, but given how far apart they had been previously, it’s something. Certainly more than what was there before.

Of the NHLPA’s three offers, the one I’m going to punt out without even discussing is Proposal 3, which I believe was something in response to the league’s “make whole” concept and not a credible offer.

Below is what Proposals 1 and 2 look like in a scenario where there is 5 per cent revenue growth each season (below the historical norm of 7.1 per cent).
    http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/...service=mobile

I can't keep up with what all is going on.
    Last edited by redbird89; 10-22-2012 at 02:27 AM.
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Let's get this thing over with and get the damn season going!!
    We're getting fired!

vCash
    Losing hope one hour at a time...

vCash
    We'll get a season, there is too much money on the table for this players and owners to close up shop on the season.

I think they get a deal done, they are close in % revenue. I think they iron out the rest before the end of the year imo.

Maybe that's too optimistic, but i think they realize that another lockout for a whole calendar season has bigger implications and repercussions than the one in 2004-2005.

vCash
    I see ending up a lot like the NBA lockout, getting games around or on Christmas.

I know the players are sticking on the contracts being honored fully but as there is more pressure to have a season and guys not getting paid beside the escrow payments i think they get a deal done.

On a selfish side note, i hate losing regular season games but the more days off the calendar the sooner Gaborik comes back if there is a season.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-22-2012 at 11:09 PM.

vCash
    I'm not too confident. Fehr keeps offering deals that are basically the same as the current CBA.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

vCash

Lockout Discussion

With Pat Kane, who's an nhlpa rep and Enstrom bolting for Europe, it's safe to say we ain't having a full season. Nhlpa opted to meet Wednesday and Daly basically said "what's the point?".
    Last edited by westhockeytown; 10-24-2012 at 01:16 AM.

vCash
    Just a quick question I had thought of the other day, but if the lockout wipes out the entire season, how is the 2013 Draft order determined?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celts22 View Post
    Just a quick question I had thought of the other day, but if the lockout wipes out the entire season, how is the 2013 Draft order determined?
    Another draft lottery I'm guessing, they did that last time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    Lockouts are increasingly being used as an employer bully-tactic to force workers to accept concessions and poor agreements. Instead of negotiating with bargaining committees in good faith, employers are wielding the lockout as a method of coercion. In the past few years there has been a seeming rise in the number of employer lockouts all over North America.
    Yup!, but remember that Strikes are the same thing from the other side. The fact that your entire workforce can make a demand and if not met, can walk out and you are left with an empty building, and nothing being done and as an employer, you can't even fire them for walking off the job. You as an employer are stuck. Give in or go under.

In this case, professional sports owners have a bit deeper pockets to start with, and most of their expenses can be recouped in other ways so that they are losing little (and in the case of the NHL, losing less then if the games were actually played) makes it better for them to lock out the union. The big name players should have more money already than they could spend in their lifetimes, it is the bottom feeders that will feel the pain. And they make up 2/3rds of the pro league. All this fight just so that 1/3rd can get paid more (this season) than I will make in my lifetime.

I have felt that since the pro sports got UFA priviledges, they have been nothing good. They are now just greedy collections of athletes playing games that we have to pay for our kids to play for fun.

I blame this problem with the NHL on Donald Fehr. The NHLPA hired him for how he got MLB to cow to the MLBPA... wel problem, the NHL owners are not the MLB owners... these guys DO have the stomach to cancel whole seasons. All he has done is giving the NHLPA's members the feeling that they will get the NHL to cave. I have felt from day one that this will be the entire season. I was surprised last week when things started to look good, but then the NHLPA had to counter propose number games, counting on numbers that are NOT guaranteed to be there..

We might see hockey in 2013... October that is... but don't hold your breath...

I personally would like to see some owners use this prolonged time-out as and excuse to contract some ill teams. Too many are in markets not suited to hockey (florida, arizona...etc) hard to expect fans to come to watch games that the average person just cannot play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Another draft lottery I'm guessing, they did that last time.
    If you based the lottery on how they did it during the last lockout the following teams would have the following chances of getting the #1 pick.

6% Chance of Getting #1 Pick
    Jets
    Hurricanes
    Maple Leafs
    Flames
    Stars
    Wild
    Blue Jackets

4% Chance of Getting #1 Pick
    Panthers
    Lightning
    Islanders
    Canucks
    Blues
    Avalanche
    Ducks

2% Chance of Getting #1 Pick
    Rangers
    Bruins
    Penguins
    Flyers
    Capitals
    Senators
    Sabres
    Canadians
    Cyotoes
    Predators
    Red Wings
    Blackhawks
    Sharks
    Kings
    Oilers

Non~Bruins Watch
    Filip Forsberg
    31GP / 13G / 18A / 1.00PPG / +24

vCash
    its pretty sad when i watch old games on nhl network with my three yr old and he says"its not NEW hockey."

vCash
    Penguins get #1 overall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast