Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    I think Heckert was let go because Reid wanted more player control and Heckert wasn't willing to give it up. Personally I'd like to see Banner keep Heckert. It really seemed like they worked well together in Philadelphia so if the trust is still there it could lead to a good outcome. I hope they avoid Reid at the end of this year though. He's been a great coach, but that combination didn't win one in 12 years together in Philadelphia, I don't see that changing just because they are in Cleveland instead.

Pretty much spot on. He said a lot of stupid stuff in Philadelphia which gave him a bad name in town, but he handled the cap better than just about anyone in the league. From about 2001 through 2010 the Eagles were contenders every year and they always had at least 10 million in cap space.

I thought it was always Reid that was letting players leave when they got to be about 30 and leaving their prime, but maybe that was a Heckert/Banner decision because that hasn't happened as much the past few years. The only reason that really worked well in the past though was because of the coaching. Andy Reid could put anyone in on offense and Jim Johnson could put anyone in on defense and they just continued to cruise. It seems that Reid has lost that ability, or the problem is playcalling which he isn't doing.

Either way, long story short, Banner seemed to make a lot of good decisions over the last 12 years. This could be a really good hire.
    Thanks for the Philly feeback.

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    Haslem had to sign 4 conditions with Learner before he agreed to sell.
    #1.) Can't move the team.
    #2.) Can't touch the helmet.

CBS Sports radio. Don't know the other two.

vCash
    He did mention he is going to change the stadium (no plans yet) and wants it to be better for the fans. Also said he is open to a new uniform (made comment to Tony Grossi "not the helmet though).
    Haslem's presser

vCash
    Since he's a Tennessee guy I wouldn't be shocked to see us bring the orange uniforms back.

vCash
    Haven't been able to hear the presser yet but like a lot of what I am hearing on Twitter. Saw too that he said that there is about 2 to 50% chance that CBS or whatever he is going to call it after this year might have construct a retractable roof but more close to 2%.

Jimmy will probably call the stadium The Pilot Flying J Stadium with one endzone being the Dawg Pound and the other endzone being the Truck Stop.

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    Since he's a Tennessee guy I wouldn't be shocked to see us bring the orange uniforms back.
    ray:

vCash
    I had heard reports of different firms bringing him plans for a dome to be built over the existing stadium

vCash
    Fox Sports Ohio reports Browns GM Tom Heckert has been telling confidants that he believes he will be fired at the end of the season.
    Heckert has reportedly been making calls since August, seeking a 2013 position with personnel department friends around the league. Heckert and new Browns president/CEO Joe Banner worked together in Philadelphia, but "weren't necessarily best friends," according to the Canton Repository. Banner will want to bring in his own general manager to turn the franchise around. Owner Jimmy Haslam will let head coach Pat Shurmur "play his way" into the job for 2013.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...l-player-news/

Well if Heckert is making calls already then he has to know something IMO. I am not too concerned about this as he has done some things to maintain his job but he has also done some things to not warrant being brought back and if Banner and Jimmy want to go with their own people then they might as well do it from the get go instead of wasting a year like H&H with Gini and then deciding they made a mistake a year later.

Potential GM Candidates:

Eliot Wolf - Director of Football Operations Green Bay Packers: Wolf has been with the Packers for the past 9 years and is still very young but has been heavily involved in the draft with the team as well as the scouting, development and player progression something which Banner might not do in Cleveland so would need to find someone he can trust to handle this side of the operations. Wolf is my first candidate if I am interviewing GM's at the end of the year.

Nick Caserio, Patriots director of player personnel: A 36 year old FO guy that works hand in hand with Belicheck so it might be hard to pry him away but has a lot of input apparently on the coaches side with the player development and scouting. Have heard that he is a very respected man in the business right now due to his focus and drive which is not surprising being brought up by Belicheck. Has been with the Patriots for a while now so like said might be hard to pry away but Haslam has said that he has talked to Kraft about running a team so might have some leeway already due to his relationship with him.

Tom Gamble, Director of Player Personnel San Fran 49'ers: As the trend continues this is another guy that handles a lot on the pro and college scouting side for the team and also the development and coaching. He has been with the 49'ers for a while now and is still fairly young where now that the Niners have an actual coach in place you can see that the team that he helped construct isn't so awful. Also it seems that the team he constructed would not be such a bad idea to do the same thing with in Cleveland with the personnel that Heckert has brought in so far with the 4-3, WCO and strong running game.

Marc Ross, Director of College Scouting NY Giants: I like this guy because once again he is young at 39 but has brought in some very talented draft classes in the past couple years when the Giants didn't have the top choices in their pockets. He seems to be able to find players that work for his team since 2007. He has a Princeton degree so is very intelligent and also was the youngest college director at 27 years old with Philadelphia. Don't know if he has any ties to Banner but would imagine they know each other.

So there is my list. As you can see they all are young so they can grow with this team and be what Banner and Haslam want in long term and also have extensive backgrounds in scouting, coaching, development, player progression etc. If Banner is taking over as Prez and is going to be the cap/negotiation guy that most in the NFL believe he is since that is what he is very good at then he is going to have to surround himself with a lot of guys that he can trust to be able to let him know what players this team needs to obtain and go after to round out this team.

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    Lindsey Foltin ‏ @ LindseyBaseball
    Per source, the Browns have not contacted Michael Lombardi regarding a position with the team.

Lindsey Foltin ‏ @ LindseyBaseball
    @ brownsrock7 @ dustinfox37 others are reporting he is on short list to replace Heckert as GM, our source says he hasn't been contacted abt it

Some ties I could find:

Guys with ties to Haslam from Pittsburgh
    1. Omar Khan, Steelers director of football & business admin. (more of a cap guy)
    2. Doug Whaley, Bills assistant GM (formerly assistant under Kevin Colbert w/ Steelers)
    3. Brandon Hunt, Steelers pro personnel director

Guys with ties to Banner from Philadelphia
    1. Howie Roseman, Eagles GM (a Banner protege)
    2. Jon Sandusky, Browns dir. of player personnel (was scout & dir. of pro personnel in Phily)
    3. John Spytek, Browns dir. of college scouting (served as a scout in Phily)
    4. Anthony Patch, Eagles dir. of college scouting
    5. Jason Licht, Cardinals dir. of player personnel (was fired from Phily in '08)
    6. Scott Cohen, NY Jets Assist. GM

This Guy is Ready!!!

vCash
    Even with changes coming in Cleveland, looks like Browns nailed the supplemental draft, hitting on WR Josh Gordon. Big-time playmaker.
    Adam Schefter

My gut based on extensive research: In Jimmy Haslam III, the #Browns now have as dynamic an owner as exists in the NFL.
    Chris Mortensen

Always good to get some national love. As far as the Banner press conference, it got me really excited. Joe Banner is very confident in his abilities and comes across well expressing his desire to build something great here. It's very obvious there is a great chemistry between Haslam and Banner and that can only bode well for the future.

vCash
    #Browns CEO Joe Banner said "Ill need a straight jacket if it takes that long" when asked if they have another "five year plan"
    Will Burge

vCash
    Love that commnet.

vCash
    I guess there is a rumor going around that we want Nick Saban to be our next head coach. He does have some ties to the area but I would put the chances of him actually becoming our next coach at 5%. That actually might be a little generous.

vCash
    Do you really want a coach thet up and quit on his former NFL team (Dolphins) we it was getting a little rough for him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    I guess there is a rumor going around that we want Nick Saban to be our next head coach. He does have some ties to the area but I would put the chances of him actually becoming our next coach at 5%. That actually might be a little generous.
    I have heard from a number of multiple reports that a lot of inside people are saying that the first people in the offseason that Haslam/Banner will go after will be Michael Lombardi or Bill Polian for the GM position and then after that try to lure Jon Gruden back for the HC position.

Apparently it is being said that Haslam wants to bring in a lot of experience individuals in their roles and not individuals that it would be their first go of it in that position such as GM or HC.

This Guy is Ready!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast