Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Holmgren Out/ Banner In as Expected.

Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN
    There are circumstances surrounding Holmgren's agreement w/ Randy Lerner, may have very small minority share of team needing dissolved...

Tony Grossi ‏ @ TonyGrossi
    Channel 3-TV's Jim Donovan has confirmed report of Mike Holmgren out as # Browns president. GM Tom Heckert is staying for now.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏ @ MaryKayCabot
    To be clear, # browns president mike holmgren will retire at end of season, source confirmed. At least that's plan for now.

Nate Ulrich ‏ @ NateUlrichABJ
    President Mike Holmgren is expected to remain with # Browns until end of this season, a league source confirmed.

john telich ‏ @ JohnTelich8
    Mike Holmgren is out. I have heard from players he is fired, ESPN says he'll retire end yr.

NFL on ESPN ‏ @ ESPNNFL
    Our @ Edwerderespn reports New Browns owner Jimmy Haslem will name Joe Banner CEO/president and Mike Holmgren will depart the organization

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Even though this was known a while ago it's still exciting to see it finally take place. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Heckert. I'd like to see him stay but I can certainly understand Haslam/Banner wanting their own guy. Either way, I'm really optimistic about the direction we're heading in.

vCash
    Been some conflicting reports so far. Not sure if Holmgren is out in 24 hours like some say and then will retire from the NFL all together at the end of the year of if he is staying with the Browns till the end of the year and then retiring. I see no reason to keep him on at this point, just move on and let Banner start to get a feel for the team so he is in there for a bit by the time the offseason rolls around to have a better feel.

Might also be money deciding the decision since Holmgren has another year to two I believe on his 5 year contract where they are trying to figure out the buy out for him.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Daryl Ruiter ‏ @ RuiterWrongFAN
    Expect Haslam to meet with media around 1pm Cleveland time # Browns full coverage of his comments on @ 923TheFan

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash

Great face New Prez

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash

vCash
    Article from Pluto a couple weeks back about talking to an executive about Banner:

The executive gave his quick critique of the Browns to say, "I'd expect Joe [Banner] to see the same things that I do."

He said Banner is "mostly a business guy, a strong salary cap guy . . . he's not going to be in the draft room telling them who to pick. He lets the football people do their jobs."

Banner is known for some disputes with players over contracts, and doesn't like to "overpay for veterans who only have one to two years left."

The executive believes Heckert will remain as general manager. He said it's too early to guess about the future of the coaching staff or other changes Haslam/Banner might make.

"But Haslam comes from the Steelers [where he was a minority owner] and they like stability," he said. "Banner was with the Eagles, and they operate the same way. These guys will make changes, but they won't just do it for the sake of change. I really think the Browns are headed in the right direction."
    http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/...lkin_abou.html

Seems like he is more of a salary/contract Prez that handles negotiations and not scouting/progression/development, etc. Because of this it seems that Heckert might be able to stay on if he can sell Banner and Jimmy on what he is trying to build through the draft and why he has drafted who and where he did in correlation to what the team is trying to build. Also it seems like Banner doesn't like to bring in older veterans just to get their last couple years of NFL time in them but instead to add to a roster with younger FA's that can continue to build with a team for years to come. I don't know if this is going to transcend into more FA signings than in past years but it should continue the process of the youth movement and building through the draft while supplemanting FA as a secondary option.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    And if I'm Joe Banner, I'd be making a call to Oregon and asking Chip Kelly what his price is. ASAP. #Browns
    -Matt Miller

#Browns GM Tom Heckert, who's drafted well, not optimistic about surviving this ownership change, league source told me. Changes after yr.
    -Mary Kay

Holmgren knows he should have fired Mangini sooner. Also he kicked around idea of coaching before deciding to hire Shurmur.
    -Tom Withers

vCash
    I read somewhere the other day that he thought about coming down and coaching after letting Gini go too but said apparently that at the age of 62 at the time he just couldn't put in the hours to be a HC. Apparently he didn't want to put in many hours as the President either and that was the issue. Thanks for at least bringing in some people that wanted to get this team younger Big Mike. Have fun in Seattle in retirement on your weekly talk show.

I don't know how excited I would be about Chip Kelly either. If they do get rid of Shurmur and go the college route I would much rather have David Shaw. I think the Stanford Pro-Style offense would be much better here with T-Rich than Chip Kelly's balls to the wall offense. Cleveland doesn't have the horses for that. Plus Kelly has no Pro experience ever. At least Shaw was with Baltimore back in the early 2000s.
    Last edited by ottograham14; 10-16-2012 at 01:02 PM.

HOYERMANIA!!!

vCash
    Yes, Haslam hired Banner to be the #Browns President, but all signs pointing to Haslam calling the shots - wants to be hands-on
    -Dane Brugler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    I don't know how excited I would be about Chip Kelly either. If they do get rid of Shurmur and go the college route I would much rather have David Shaw. I think the Stanford Pro-Style offense would be much better here with T-Rich than Chip Kelly's balls to the wall offense. Cleveland doesn't have the horses for that. Plus Kelly has no Pro experience ever. At least Shaw was with Baltimore back in the early 2000s.
    Yeah, I'm kind of undecided on how I'd feel about it. I honestly don't watch Oregon enough to have a true opinion on the matter. Just found it pretty interesting. I do like Shaw though, class act and a quality coach.

vCash
    Saw this coming but not this soon.

vCash
    Haslam is really handling himself well at the press conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Melo15 View Post
    Even though this was known a while ago it's still exciting to see it finally take place. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Heckert. I'd like to see him stay but I can certainly understand Haslam/Banner wanting their own guy. Either way, I'm really optimistic about the direction we're heading in.
    I think Heckert was let go because Reid wanted more player control and Heckert wasn't willing to give it up. Personally I'd like to see Banner keep Heckert. It really seemed like they worked well together in Philadelphia so if the trust is still there it could lead to a good outcome. I hope they avoid Reid at the end of this year though. He's been a great coach, but that combination didn't win one in 12 years together in Philadelphia, I don't see that changing just because they are in Cleveland instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Article from Pluto a couple weeks back about talking to an executive about Banner:

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/...lkin_abou.html

Seems like he is more of a salary/contract Prez that handles negotiations and not scouting/progression/development, etc. Because of this it seems that Heckert might be able to stay on if he can sell Banner and Jimmy on what he is trying to build through the draft and why he has drafted who and where he did in correlation to what the team is trying to build. Also it seems like Banner doesn't like to bring in older veterans just to get their last couple years of NFL time in them but instead to add to a roster with younger FA's that can continue to build with a team for years to come. I don't know if this is going to transcend into more FA signings than in past years but it should continue the process of the youth movement and building through the draft while supplemanting FA as a secondary option.
    Pretty much spot on. He said a lot of stupid stuff in Philadelphia which gave him a bad name in town, but he handled the cap better than just about anyone in the league. From about 2001 through 2010 the Eagles were contenders every year and they always had at least 10 million in cap space.

I thought it was always Reid that was letting players leave when they got to be about 30 and leaving their prime, but maybe that was a Heckert/Banner decision because that hasn't happened as much the past few years. The only reason that really worked well in the past though was because of the coaching. Andy Reid could put anyone in on offense and Jim Johnson could put anyone in on defense and they just continued to cruise. It seems that Reid has lost that ability, or the problem is playcalling which he isn't doing.

Either way, long story short, Banner seemed to make a lot of good decisions over the last 12 years. This could be a really good hire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast