14 14.89%
  • Jon Gruden

37 39.36%
  • Other (who?)

25 26.60%
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by c_reinert View Post
    Wide - 9 isnt bad. It worked just fine for us last season. Problem is we dont have the players for it. Babin was the only player who did and he had a dramatic decline between seasons. Just about every scheme has validity, its about whether or not you have the players to run it
    It was pretty bad. This year it was awful in just about every way possible. Last year it wasn't good, but we got to the quarterback sometimes. That still didn't make up for the yards we gave up on the ground.

You can say we got shredded because we didn't have the proper linebackers, but then, isn't it still bad?

vCash
    The only thing the wide 9 did was generate sacks.Teams pounded the middling Lb's last year.Qb sneaks for 5 and 10 yds at a time.Anyone remember that crap?So they improved the LB core and stuck with the wide 9,the run D improved somewhat but,opposing teams figured out how to handle the wide 9 attack as far as sacks.So imo it never worked period.It was very flawed at best.

vCash
    Wide - 9 isnt bad. It worked just fine for us last season. Problem is we dont have the players for it. Babin was the only player who did and he had a dramatic decline between seasons. Just about every scheme has validity, its about whether or not you have the players to run it
    The wide 9 sucks...its too easy to run against. Detroit has the personel for it and they are still struggling with it after running it for 4 years. It causes your dline to be stupid...they can't read plays all they do is one gap assignments and crash the pocket. To counter that all you have to do is pull a guard and run a wham block. The dt the guard pulls from is going after the qb the running back runs with his wham block that eliminates anyone filling the running lane and if your other dt goes out wide you have a guard and a tackle barrleing down onto your linebackers.

Oh then theirs the screen plays...your entire dline is sucked in and the entire oline is taking out your linebackers and secondary.

The wide 9 is played out to the point that the Rams don't even use it as their base formation...hmmm lets see they have good ends, a young dt thats pretty good and good linebackers. Yet no wide 9 from someone who ran the wide 9 during his tennesee days. Its fine for an occasional play 3 and long whatever...but base defense please its outdated and sucks.

vCash
    The more I hear Chip Kelly's name the more I wonder if he'd actually bring his college system to the pros. Anyone think that he uses that system because he's forced to in college because of the personnel he has? I've heard people on here rave about him being an X's and O's guy so him being a one trick pony is probably moot, if true. Interesting stuff, or maybe not, interesting to me at least.

Sal Pal was on the radio calling for Gruden or Bruce Arians. He called Arians a "leader of men" and said he'd be a terrific fit. He also went on to praise Gruden, like usual. Personally, I know I'm in the minority, but I like Gruden a lot. If you can get yourself past his MNF shenanigans, and look at his body of work, the guy is a good coach. IMO, his lay off from coaching has humbled him. I would expect him to change the way Coughlin did. Coughlin's shtick wore thin with the Giants, now look at him after he pumped the brakes a tad. He bagged 2 SB's and could possibly nab a 3rd this year.

The thought of switching to a 3-4 is intriguing. However, the player/talent pool for that particular front is depleted because of it's recent popularity. There's really one dominant 3-4, and the rest are so so, unlike a few years ago. It could just be the league evolving but I think it's because more teams run it now.

This is a post JBendz would be proud of. Not because it's good, in fact it probably sucks, but because it is "suspiciously" long.

vCash
    I like Jay Gruden as a potential HC very much, and have for a while. He has the passion and energy level that Jon does, but is ready now to next step up for a HC position in the NFL. Jay runs a nice balanced Offensive approach where QB Dalton, WR Green and TE Gresham have blossomed under his Coaching.

Jon Gruden has stated many times that Jay has the brightest Offensive mind that he has ever worked with or been around. He will definitely be in demand (Eagles, Jacksonville,
    Arizona, Chargers & Cheifs will be hard after him as well the NY Jets and possibly the Detroit Lions.

vCash
    wouldn't mind seeing Mike Zimmer

Bengals defense has been great this season, knows how to fight through adversity (loss of his wife). He deserves a gig as a head coach and I think he'd be a great fit. Let's see how this team can opperate with a defensive minded coach, the offensive talent is here. The defense needs a kick in the ***, Zimmer would be ideal. If not then just make the big splash all eagles fans talk about in Chucky

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly-Eagles-Fly View Post
    wouldn't mind seeing Mike Zimmer

Bengals defense has been great this season, knows how to fight through adversity (loss of his wife). He deserves a gig as a head coach and I think he'd be a great fit. Let's see how this team can opperate with a defensive minded coach, the offensive talent is here. The defense needs a kick in the ***, Zimmer would be ideal. If not then just make the big splash all eagles fans talk about in Chucky
    Certainly possible.The key if he is hired will be getting a top notch OC on his staff.Zimmer is great on the D though.Just don't want to see Buddy Ryan redux.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    The wide 9 sucks...its too easy to run against. Detroit has the personel for it and they are still struggling with it after running it for 4 years. It causes your dline to be stupid...they can't read plays all they do is one gap assignments and crash the pocket. To counter that all you have to do is pull a guard and run a wham block. The dt the guard pulls from is going after the qb the running back runs with his wham block that eliminates anyone filling the running lane and if your other dt goes out wide you have a guard and a tackle barrleing down onto your linebackers.

Oh then theirs the screen plays...your entire dline is sucked in and the entire oline is taking out your linebackers and secondary.

The wide 9 is played out to the point that the Rams don't even use it as their base formation...hmmm lets see they have good ends, a young dt thats pretty good and good linebackers. Yet no wide 9 from someone who ran the wide 9 during his tennesee days. Its fine for an occasional play 3 and long whatever...but base defense please its outdated and sucks.
    Wide 9 is an alignment. You can certainly ask your DTs to play 2 gap. And yes, like any scheme there are pros and cons, in this case you are sacrificing run defense to improve your pass rush, just like the cover 2 prevents big plays at the sacrifice of giving your opponent the short passing game. The concept is fine if you have the correct personnel and execute it correctly. And are we really going to evaluate the validity of a scheme based on the St Louis Rams?
    PSD's c_reinert

vCash
    Wide 9 is an alignment. You can certainly ask your DTs to play 2 gap. And yes, like any scheme there are pros and cons, in this case you are sacrificing run defense to improve your pass rush, just like the cover 2 prevents big plays at the sacrifice of giving your opponent the short passing game. The concept is fine if you have the correct personnel and execute it correctly. And are we really going to evaluate the validity of a scheme based on the St Louis Rams?
    yes because if the scheme was still useful it would seem like Jeff Fischer the guy who has had it ran for his team for the last 10 years would be running it now with his team. They have the linebackers and the linemen to run it so the fact they really don't shows me that the scheme is outdated.

vCash
    David Shaw HC of Stanford.

Hard nosed prostyle offense that emphasis the run. He also has a NFL background including here in Philadelphia. Also, he was a WRs coach in NFL and a passing coordinator in college to go with his run style offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blystr2002 View Post

Hard nosed prostyle offense that emphasis the run. He also has a NFL background including here in Philadelphia. Also, he was a WRs coach in NFL and a passing coordinator in college to go with his run style offense.
    Agreed, he would be a great fit...

vCash
    Arians would be a good choice
    Thomas Jefferson - "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blystr2002 View Post

Shaw from Stanford is going nowhere. Hes finally getting his own Recruits into his Program (after taking over for Harbaugh 2 Years ago). He has a potential Heismann QB Candidate for 2013-2014 in true freshman Kevin Hogan who appears to be the next great QB out of Stanford. Hes making his own, mark and has a legitimate shot at a National Championship over the next couple of Seasons. Think about it. Who would want to leave beautiful Palo Alto,California for Philadelphia when they have so much going for themself.

vCash
    If, big if but if Rex Ryan got fired would you like him to be the new HC? I vote yes, I mean there is things about having a defense first HC that I'm not sure about but I love me some defense.

PS - I don't check the boards that frequently nor did I read the last pages on this thread so don't flame me if this has already been posted.

vCash
    For the love of God, **** NO!!!!!!!!

OK Nick, here is what I need you do. Go over there and grab me some water, a towel, and make yourself comfortable while I WRECK THIS ISH.

My name is Mark Sanchez. I am here to save you.

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast