Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Lol. Why the **** would he retire? He has had like 3 concussions and that's it. The only reason he's not playing because if he were to get another concussion everyone would be pointing fingers. He can play right now but you know the NFL is too over cautious.
    I don't know why you're sitting here acting like concussions aren't serious. The dude hasn't been cleared for well over a year and as a running back, it's likely he'd get another due to the physicality of the position.

The game he got injured, 49ers game I believe, wasn't even a hard hit. If he can get concussed on that then what's going to happen if someone like Clay Matthews wrecks his ****? It's just not safe for him to play football anymore.
    % of Souls Taken: 100

vCash
    Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best will be kept on the IR and Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, effectively ending his season. Best had hoped to come back to play in 2012 but itís not going to happen for the third-year back out of California.

Best has been recovering after suffering not one but two concussions in 2011. He hasnít played a down for the Lions, although there was quite a bit of optimism that he would be able to return at some point during this season.

Lions GM Martin Mayhew made the announcement on Friday afternoon:

As has been the case throughout, we have deferred to the medical experts and support their current recommendation that Jahvid not return to the field this season. Javhidís approach to this situation and his adherence to the process and protocol have been exemplary. No one has worked harder or shown more dedication than Jahvid has over the past year. As disappointing as this decision is for us and Jahvid, we do believe it is in his long-term best interest.

This is certainly a blow to the Lions who have begun to turn things around this season and could have greatly used the services of the dynamic Best in their backfield.

However, player safety and concerns for Bestís future are obviously more important factors when making a decision of this magnitude. Mayhew and his staff were absolutely right to defer to the medical staff on this call.

Itís also a sign that the new emphasis on concussions and play safety is beginning to take hold throughout a league that used to widely rush players back into harmís way too soon.

For Best, there is a possibility that this setback could mean trouble for his future as an NFL football player.

Heís suffered three concussions now, including a very damaging one his senior season at California.

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 10 tackles / sacks /1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StriveGreatness View Post
    I don't know why you're sitting here acting like concussions aren't serious. The dude hasn't been cleared for well over a year and as a running back, it's likely he'd get another due to the physicality of the position.

The game he got injured, 49ers game I believe, wasn't even a hard hit. If he can get concussed on that then what's going to happen if someone like Clay Matthews wrecks his ****? It's just not safe for him to play football anymore.
    Concussions aren't as serious as your making it out to be. It's the media making it seem really serious and your biting into the media. The only reason he isn't getting cleared is because doctors are afriad of him getting another concussion and them getting the blame. If I recall the 9ers game his head got slammed into the ground hard. Whatever. I guess if you think he needs to retire he should retire. Concussions do suck but they aren't as big as they are set out to be. Calvin got a concussion vs the Vikings and played the whole game... it's played out.
    Last edited by rocket; 11-02-2012 at 04:42 PM.

vCash
    I think they are just worried about his life after football... Having 4 or 5 concussions before the age of 25 is simply not good. I think I Know what you're trying to say look at the WR for the Colts(name drawing a blank), he had like 4 concussions in the past 2-3 yrs and he already said he basically doesn't care he is just worried about playing football.

Its different for everyone...If Best or the Lions feel that he should hang it up, for the interest of his post-football career who can blame them?

AAL: Joesph Fauria
    YRDs: 46
    TDs:
    Cool TD Dances: ∞

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    If Waddle doesn't get the starting gig I'm outta here. I will never post again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Concussions aren't as serious as your making it out to be. It's the media making it seem really serious and your biting into the media. The only reason he isn't getting cleared is because doctors are afriad of him getting another concussion and them getting the blame. If I recall the 9ers game his head got slammed into the ground hard. Whatever. I guess if you think he needs to retire he should retire. Concussions do suck but they aren't as big as they are set out to be. Calvin got a concussion vs the Vikings and played the whole game... it's played out.
    Like any injury a concussion comes in varying degrees, for instance a slight tear in your achilles and you may be out for a couple of weeks, a complete blowing out of your achilles and your season is over. A tear in the right location and severity and you end up like my father who can barely walk backwards now. So please don't come on here saying just because someone has an injury similiar doesn't mean the other persons couldn't be more threatening to his career. Especially when your talking about brain trauma.

vCash
    even though it is looking bleak, i havent given up on this kid yet. perhaps 2 years away from football will allow the doctors to feel comfortable about clearing him? the longer period of time w out a concussion the less likely for one to re-occur and let the brain heal, i believe. i dont know, just trying to think positive.

vCash
    Hopefully he comes back next year. But we should still find his replacement

My AAL 2015 ProBowler: DeAndre Levy #54 10 tackles / sacks /1 amazing int
    click here to join the Lions Forum
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    Lions approached this all wrong...I don't know if it was a combination of Leshoure, but Mayhew and Co. seemed like they were penciling in for Best to return by not drafting a RB or signing one. Now we're just left hoping Leshoure can finish the season healthy with god knows who as our backup RB

This off-season has to be the opposite, actually I'm sure will be.

AAL: Joesph Fauria
    YRDs: 46
    TDs:
    Cool TD Dances: ∞

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    If Waddle doesn't get the starting gig I'm outta here. I will never post again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234