Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 111

Thread: BCS Rankings

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,750
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Completely different team, and a very bad argument. Our offensive line is much more athletic than the one in that game, Mariota is more of a true dual-threat than Thomas and is a better pure passer, and we have more weapons than that team. We don't have a Jeff Maehl go-to guy as a receiver, but players like Colt Lyerla and De'Anthony Thomas are talented enough to find space against any defense. Plus, Chip Kelly has gotten better as a coach since that was only his 2nd season as a head coach. Now, I don't think Oregon would shred Alabama (probably wouldn't get 30), but the offense would not be quite as stagnant as it was versus Auburn.

    Also, our defense is much better at getting off the field in 3rd down situations than that one. The main reason why we lost to Auburn and LSU was due to turnovers and bad field position, and our defense will help us get better field position. If Oregon doesn't let Alabama get easy turnovers, then that would be huge as well. I won't say you are wrong if you would pick Bama over Oregon, but this is definitely a more talented Oregon team...
    right, but this years alabama defense>>>>>that auburn defense. bama d line will manhandle your o line, and vice versa. i dont think bama would blow you out but i put money on them.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,091
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Completely different team, and a very bad argument. Our offensive line is much more athletic than the one in that game, Mariota is more of a true dual-threat than Thomas and is a better pure passer, and we have more weapons than that team. We don't have a Jeff Maehl go-to guy as a receiver, but players like Colt Lyerla and De'Anthony Thomas are talented enough to find space against any defense. Plus, Chip Kelly has gotten better as a coach since that was only his 2nd season as a head coach. Now, I don't think Oregon would shred Alabama (probably wouldn't get 30), but the offense would not be quite as stagnant as it was versus Auburn.

    Also, our defense is much better at getting off the field in 3rd down situations than that one. The main reason why we lost to Auburn and LSU was due to turnovers and bad field position, and our defense will help us get better field position. If Oregon doesn't let Alabama get easy turnovers, then that would be huge as well. I won't say you are wrong if you would pick Bama over Oregon, but this is definitely a more talented Oregon team...
    And Alabama is ALOT better than that Auburn team that won 8 or 9 of their games by a touchdown or less that season.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413
    Plus you have to wonder if Bama can play at that hectic pace
    They win games by controlling the line of scrimmage though. Any team in the country that wants to beat them better have a bunch of bruisers in the trenches to beat people up for three hours. Most importantly, like I said last season, if they do reach the Natl Championship, Saban has six weeks to prepare and that's usually bad news for the opposition. Shut out and embarrassed the #1 team in the country in their own backyard, didn't even let them get past midfield.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 10-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,941
    vCash
    1500
    Oregon put up 27 against LSU's defense. Granted it's not the best argument since teams change so much from year to year, but there was a lot of high end NFL caliber talent on that team and they put up points. Plus Oregon has a more dynamic QB although he doesn't have a ton of experience. I think Oregon has enough weapons where they could put points on the board. I mean god forbid someone scores against Alabama. I don't see how it's a slight to Bama by saying someone might be able to score 24 points on them

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    See, fans of SEC teams know what Saban has built over there in T-Town and it pisses us off. Our teams have already been embarrassed by them at some point, so we're speaking from experience, ha. Some won't openly admit it but would actually give Notre Dame a better shot than Oregon vs the Tide because they look like they can match Bama's toughness in the trenches on both sides. That's no disrespect to Oregon or Kelly, it's just a different animal over there.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 10-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,941
    vCash
    1500
    Oregon might have problems with their O line matching their D line, but Oregon's d line has NFL type bodies on it. They aren't exactly light there

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,091
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    See, fans of SEC teams know what Saban has built over there in T-Town and it pisses us off. Our teams have already been embarrassed by them at some point, so we're speaking from experience, ha. Some won't openly admit it but would actually give Notre Dame a better shot than Oregon vs the Tide because they look like they can match Bama's toughness in the trenches on both sides. That's no disrespect to Oregon or Kelly, it's just a different animal over there.
    I think Alabama would absolutely crush Notre Dame. Of all the teams I think that Oregon has the best chance because they can and will put some points on the board. It would all be on Oregon's defense IMO Because I can't see them scoring more than 24-28 points. Would that be enough?

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413
    I mean god forbid someone scores against Alabama. I don't see how it's a slight to Bama by saying someone might be able to score 24 points on them
    Because Oregon's strength is also Bama's strength.

    Oregon has the #3 rushing attack in the country at 330.63 yards/game in the Pac-12, at 6.2 yards/carry.

    Bama has the #1 run defense in the country, giving up 57.25 yards/game in the SEC, at 1.9 yards/carry.

    So the question becomes, if the Tide have six weeks to prepare to shut down their run and do, how will the Ducks move the chains? LSU faced that situation in the national championship (rematch) game. Keep in mind, Oregon is currently 84th in the nation in passing. http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/leader/...02/sort01.html

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller
    I think Alabama would absolutely crush Notre Dame. Of all the teams I think that Oregon has the best chance because they can and will put some points on the board. It would all be on Oregon's defense IMO Because I can't see them scoring more than 24-28 points. Would that be enough?
    IMO, it comes down to field position and defense no matter who plays them, specifically run defense, which is why I lean towards ND (Irish: 9th in Run D, Ducks: 40th in Run D).

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,133
    vCash
    1470
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Actually the Ducks have wins over 2 ranked opponents, Washington was #23 when we played them.

    And like I said before, the idea that all we've played is crap teams is complete BS. It's a revisionist argument. People only thing the teams are crap because we beat them so bad.

    Arizona just knocked off USC, they didn't even score a point against us, so they must suck.
    Washington beat Stanford and Oregon State, but we crushed them, so they must suck.
    Arizona St. was 5-1 and our first real road test, we crushed them, so they must suck.

    The theme is, whoever we beat retroactively sucks, no matter what people thought of them before the game. Imagine if we beat USC next week, the talk will be USC sucks and that we still haven't played anybody.

    I guess Oregon needs to stop blowing out opponents and actually let a game be close for people to think "that team might be good".
    Arizona may very well end up being a quality win for Oregon but Washington got creamed by LSU and is 4-4. Arizona St. has beaten no one and might end up a .500 team. You can play this game with other teams schedules. Michigan would look a lot better if they didn't play Bama and ND. And Miami probably would have started 6-0 if they hadn't made the mistake of scheduling KSU and ND this year.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,133
    vCash
    1470
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    I think Alabama would absolutely crush Notre Dame. Of all the teams I think that Oregon has the best chance because they can and will put some points on the board. It would all be on Oregon's defense IMO Because I can't see them scoring more than 24-28 points. Would that be enough?
    How much better do you think Alabama's offense is than Oklahoma's? At this point I just don't see anyone dominating Notre Dame's defense. But if the ND offense can't do anything they would struggle I guess it depends on your definition of crush.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,091
    vCash
    500
    Just looking at the matchups Notre Dame has been winning games with their defense. Because their offense has scored 20 or less points in 5 games. How many points do they expect to get against Alabama? An Alabama team that hasn't allowed more than 14 points but also hasn't been held to less than 35 points....

    As for Oregon I look at the schedule and see 5 games where they allowed at least 21 points. In the last 5 years Alabama has only been held to less than 21 points a grand total of 3 times. Look at last year and Oregon allowed 27 or more points 8 times. You might not get 21 points against Alabama. And you aren't gonna beat them 45-38.

    What teams have beat Oregon the last 5 years. Look and see that 6 of their last 8 losses as a program have come against teams with a top 15 ranked defense. Top defensive teams have done well against this Oregon offensive system despite people always talking about how people are gonna matchup with that offense.

    With all that said I can see Oregon winning a 24-21 or 28-21 type game if they take care of the football and their defense plays up to a championship level. But if they turn the football over and get behind it will be just like when they played Auburn and LSU.

    I can't say anything about Kansas State because I have yet to see them play this year.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    40,091
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry34 View Post
    How much better do you think Alabama's offense is than Oklahoma's? At this point I just don't see anyone dominating Notre Dame's defense. But if the ND offense can't do anything they would struggle I guess it depends on your definition of crush.
    Doesn't matter. Oklahoma wasn't holding their opponents to 8 points a game.

    I could see it being like the national championship game last year with Alabama winning 21-7 or something along those lines. I just don't see how Notre Dame would be able to put up anymore than 14 points. And on the flipside I could see Alabama getting 14 off of turnovers.

    I guess in a nutshell

    Alabama defense >/= Notre Dame defense

    but

    Alabama offense >>>> Notre Dame offense

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,941
    vCash
    1500
    To be fair Oregon's defense is on the field a lot so just by default they are more likely to give up points.. I'm not trying to say they would shut Bama down (They wouldn't). I just don't think looking at raw numbers tells the whole story in this case. The defense can play. I guess it's up to each individual how much weight they want to put on that, but I think it's worth noting

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    14,210
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller
    With all that said I can see Oregon winning a 24-21 or 28-21 type game if they take care of the football and their defense plays up to a championship level.
    That's the thing, Bama forces every team into a couple mistakes each game. Look how LSU had to beat them -- ugly and sloppy. I like Oregon, just believe Bama is a rough matchup on both sides.

    I could see the Tide beating the Irish something like 17-10 or 20-10.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 10-30-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •