Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Then John Hollinger is an idiot. "Super" means above, so if there is someone above you then they are super, and you are not. It's the f'n definition of the word.

The press bastardize language all the time, I don't have to accept it, and if you accept it then you are helping the muddle the language and take meaning from useful words.

A "star" is someone on a team who gets the most attention ... Iggy is a star on the Nuggets.

Superstars are not just the best players in the game, but they are also the most heavily marketed. Blake Griffin is widely considered a superstar, his game doesn't warrant it, but the fact that he's in LA, is smart and personable, and can jump out of the gym make him a marketing dream ... I don't know if I've EVER seen Iggy used in marketing outside of Philly, and now Denver. To be a superstar you have to be known to casual fans of other teams.

I think Iggy is a very very good player, but he's no superstar.

Semantics at this point. I don't consider Blake a superstar yet, but he can develop into one.

I use superstar for an elite player or a player that's above the above the average.

Also, it's pretty obvious John Hollinger is not an idiot. He's good at scouting and he has a 91 percent success rate at predicting the regular season.

He had an article on Jeremy Lin when the Warriors signed him. He said he expected him to be a second round player and that he could be real good. That's just one example. His scouting reports are pretty dead on.
    Last edited by Guppyfighter; 10-18-2012 at 06:37 PM.

vCash
    Of course it's semantics, we are discussing whether the use of a phrase is correct or not ... what else would we use?

Okay ... Hollinger isn't an idiot, but it's idiotic to use the term "2nd tier superstar"

I don't think Griffin is a superstar based on his game, but others here do and it seems most NBA media do too. I like him, I think he's smart and funny, and it seems like he COULD be great, but I haven't seen it yet. He also could be Chris Webber 2.0.

I don't know close to what Hollinger knows and I thought Lin would be a good 2nd round player, but that's not really saying all that much. A lot of success in the NBA comes from system, teammates, and confidence ... some players, Kobe/LeBron and the like, have so much confidence that nothing can shake it. Lin gained a lot of confidence last year, we'll see what a different system with different teammates and a whole lot more pressure does to his game, and to his confidence.

I'm perfectly fine with calling Iggy a 2nd tier player, I just can't accept that he's a superstar or that there are multiple tiers of superstars. Is Joakim Noah a 3rd tier superstar? Is Charles Jenkins a 12th tier superstar?

vCash
    Nah, only three levels.

Third level being composed of players like Josh Smith, Mark Gasol.

vCash
    Do the Warriors still need a healthy Curry to make the playoffs? Seems like with the injuries to Kevin Love and Dirk, that the Warriors still might be able to squeeze in even with Curry playing less than half the games. Jack could step up, and Jenkins is a formidable back up...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff559 View Post
    Do the Warriors still need a healthy Curry to make the playoffs? Seems like with the injuries to Kevin Love and Dirk, that the Warriors still might be able to squeeze in even with Curry playing less than half the games. Jack could step up, and Jenkins is a formidable back up...
    I think if they dont extend curry before the season- curry will find a way to be out there a good amount of the games. All he had last yr were a few rolled ankles- with a contract on the line, he isnt going to sit 2/3 of the season for a minor injury... really more of a condition than an injury.

Bogut is the one we need to worry about though. Bogut doesnt have a lot of depth behind him- and he seems like more of a question mark at the moment. he doesnt seem to have enough motivation... like curry does.
    A role model if I ever knew one

vCash
    Curry's most recent surgery was exploratory to confirm his ankles structure was okay, the one before that did some repair yet you keep dismissing it as if everytime someone misses a step they are injured to the severity that Curry has ever been injured. Look at Mullin's last years with the Warriors ... he kept playing with "minor" injuries and injured himself over and over because of playing while "protecting" his "minor" injuries. Mullin learned the hard way that you have to pay attention to your body despite what *****ing fans might say. Curry isn't a gold-bricking lolly-gagger and you have no evidence that he is since you are not a doctor (I assume) and are not inside his circle. Curry made it obvious he could play and wanted to play but the Warriors decided he wasn't going to play ... not Curry, the Warriors. Not Curry. Curry didn't quit. Curry didn't whine.

Let's see what happens when the games matter.

vCash
    Curry's most recent surgery was exploratory to confirm his ankles structure was okay, the one before that did some repair yet you keep dismissing it as if everytime someone misses a step they are injured to the severity that Curry has ever been injured. Look at Mullin's last years with the Warriors ... he kept playing with "minor" injuries and injured himself over and over because of playing while "protecting" his "minor" injuries. Mullin learned the hard way that you have to pay attention to your body despite what *****ing fans might say. Curry isn't a gold-bricking lolly-gagger and you have no evidence that he is since you are not a doctor (I assume) and are not inside his circle. Curry made it obvious he could play and wanted to play but the Warriors decided he wasn't going to play ... not Curry, the Warriors. Not Curry. Curry didn't quit. Curry didn't whine.

Let's see what happens when the games matter.

yeah lets just roll the dice.... no point in worrying about things like preparation.

vCash
    As a fan? All of my preparation is done. I'm totally ready to go.

vCash
    lol stylez..boguts ankle was fractured, while currys was sprained

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

vCash
    I don't believe anybody has argued that Bogut's painfully slow recovery is not a problem, merely that it is not a catastrophe ... yet.
    at what point does it become a catastrophe? whats a reasonable amount of time for him to sit out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Locks
    Spurs, Thunder, Lakers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Nuggets

7-9 seeds
    Warriors, Jazz, Mavs

None of this is in any order.
    I dont think the lakers are a lock for the playoffs. I think the warriors have a better chance as of now. Also- dont forget the rockets who are playing well as of late.

Mavs would be lucky to get the 10th seed now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    The trade is not bust even if even doesn't play a single game. Monta Ellis was a blackhole and it's about time we moved on.
    so you trade monta ellis for something else. My suggestion is monta and udoh for the number 4 pick and anderson V

this would have allowed us to take barnes, get a productive big man, not tank last season and likely have a draft pick this coming season. Also we wouldnt have jeffersons contract on the books.

Or they could have waited for bogut to get healthy before making the trade.

vCash
    healthy bogut = no trade

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
    "From the stomach at birth, till I'm under the earth."

#DUBSUP

vCash
    The bay area is sooo lucky....they are nothing but playoff teams...

MLB-You have the Giants(just won the MLB World Series)
    NHL-You have the Sharks(Going to the playoffs)
    NBA-You have the Warriors(Going to the playoffs)
    MLS-You have the Earthquakes(Top Seed in West)(made playoffs)
    NFL-You have the 49ers(Are in the playoffs, superbowl potential)
    All great things come to an end...even in basketball -Me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanStorm View Post
    The bay area is sooo lucky....they are nothing but playoff teams...

MLB-You have the Giants(just won the MLB World Series)
    NHL-You have the Sharks(Going to the playoffs)
    NBA-You have the Warriors(Going to the playoffs)
    MLS-You have the Earthquakes(Top Seed in West)(made playoffs)
    NFL-You have the 49ers(Are in the playoffs, superbowl potential)

warriors not going to playoffs

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast