Thread: Week 7 GT

Week 7 GT

Notable Matchups
    #15 Texas Longhorns vs. #13 Oklahoma Sooners
    #17 Stanford Cardinal @ #7 Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    #3 South Carolina Gamecocks @ #9 LSU Tigers
    #22 Texas A&M Aggies @ #23 Louisiana Tech Bulldogs
    Rest of the Week Seven Schedule

There is no updated Heisman Pundit straw poll yet, so I'll just ask you to name your top 3 Heisman candidates if you want to.

Here is mine:
    1. Geno Smith QB West Virginia
    2. Colin Klein QB Kansas State
    3. Braxton Miller QB Ohio State

Here is my current Top Five as well:
    1. Alabama Crimson Tide
    2. Oregon Ducks
    3. South Carolina Gamecocks
    4. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    5. Kansas State Wildcats
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

I'm very interested to see if Stanford can put up a fight vs. Notre Dame, and if USC can really destroy Washington. I hope both are true.

I think A&M will roll Louisiana Tech. They committed six turnovers on the road to an improved Ole Miss team and still came away with a win. Their offense has been much better about taking care of the football this year. The Rebels are a physical team; I think that turnover-marred day for A&M's offense will prove be an anomaly by the end of the year.

I like Notre Dame over Stanford. The way both teams play up front, I think that will be an SEC type game (and no I don't mean Georgia-Tennessee esque).

If I'm not mistaken, the last game LSU lost in Tiger Stadium was to Florida in 2009. That's also probably the last time LSU played a legitimately better team at home. South Carolina, despite their tendency to look schizophrenic on the road, is a legitimately better team. If the Tigers couldn't protect Mettenberger from Florida, Clowney will eat him.

Its hard to see LSU losing two weeks in a row but I really think that South Carolina is a better football team and a tougher matchup for them on paper.

Texas A&M and LA Tech should be interesting. Johnny Manziel is a beast for Texas A&M but LA Tech is scoring 53 points a game after 5 games. We will find out that offense after this one.

Marcus Mariota

LSU and SC is the toughest game to pick. SC is fresh off thumping Georgia and LSU is going to be pissed after losing to Florida. This is SC chance to really prove something, going into LSU and beating them.

#1 Cole Wick Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish1314 View Post
    I think A&M will roll Louisiana Tech. They committed six turnovers on the road to an improved Ole Miss team and still came away with a win. Their offense has been much better about taking care of the football this year. The Rebels are a physical team; I think that turnover-marred day for A&M's offense will prove be an anomaly by the end of the year.

I like Notre Dame over Stanford. The way both teams play up front, I think that will be an SEC type game (and no I don't mean Georgia-Tennessee esque).

If I'm not mistaken, the last game LSU lost in Tiger Stadium was to Florida in 2009. That's also probably the last time LSU played a legitimately better team at home. South Carolina, despite their tendency to look schizophrenic on the road, is a legitimately better team. If the Tigers couldn't protect Mettenberger from Florida, Clowney will eat him.
    they protected him decently, its the running game they couldnt get going. florida has a better d line than sc and lsu will be able to be effective in the running game, i think this game will come down to a field goal but i wouldnt be surprised if one team wins by a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by tnewkirk View Post
    they protected him decently, its the running game they couldnt get going.
    They gave up four sacks and he was pressured quite a bit throughout the game. He was forced to throw it away at least twice. I don't know how decent that protection was. Honestly I think Florida did a better job of protecting Driskel; he just refuses to throw the ball away for whatever reason.

florida has a better d line than sc
    This is certainly debatable and that's coming from a Florida fan. I think we have a deeper, more flexible line as far as our inside guys (Floyd, Easley, Hunter) but South Carolina collapses the pocket and blows up passing plays from the edges as well as any team I've seen this year.

and lsu will be able to be effective in the running game i think this game will come down to a field goal but i wouldnt be surprised if one team wins by a lot.
    LSU is still elite defensively and I think they'll win at least 9 games this year, but their own fans have close to zero confidence in their injury-riddled offensive line. I think they'll run it better against USCe than they did against Florida (how could it get any worse?), but they're going to have to make vertical plays to beat South Carolina and I don't know that they can.

Either way, I agree it will be close. If South Carolina goes into Death Valley and beats the Tigers by two touchdowns or more (with the Tigers not beating themselves too much), we might as well hand them the East crown and probably the conference championship.

I have a gut feeling that LSU is going to beat South Carolina. It seems like people have already started coronating South Carolina as finally having hit that next level but between LSU, Florida, Clemson, and possibly the SEC title game I just don't see them going undefeated...
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I have a gut feeling that LSU is going to beat South Carolina. It seems like people have already started coronating South Carolina as finally having hit that next level but between LSU, Florida, Clemson, and possibly the SEC title game I just don't see them going undefeated...
    Oh they sure as hell won't go undefeated but they are certainly good enough to beat LSU this year. This LSU isn't as good as they were last year....

Marcus Mariota

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Oh they sure as hell won't go undefeated but they are certainly good enough to beat LSU this year. This LSU isn't as good as they were last year....
    What do you think happens in this scenario.

2 of Oregon, Notre Dame and West Virginia go undefeated.

Every SEC team loses at least 1 game but Alabama loses 2. So say either Georgia, Florida, LSU, or South Carolina have 1 loss.

Does an SEC still go the National Championship or do you see them getting left out?

I honestly see them getting left out unless the 1 loss team was Alabama. But do you?
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    What do you think happens in this scenario.

2 of Oregon, Notre Dame and West Virginia go undefeated.

Every SEC team loses at least 1 game but Alabama loses 2. So say either Georgia, Florida, LSU, or South Carolina have 1 loss.

Does an SEC still go the National Championship or do you see them getting left out?

I honestly see them getting left out unless the 1 loss team was Alabama. But do you?
    I know you didn't ask me, but a one-loss SEC Champion is still in. That's just my opinion. And that's any one-loss SEC Champion. I admit it would get sticky because West Virginia, Notre Dame, and Oregon all play quality schedules this year, but it's difficult to imagine the National Championship Game without an SEC team playing for it given that they've claimed the last six. It's probably unfair to look at it that way, but many of the coaches will.

I also don't know that just being Alabama would give them more preference than other SEC teams in this situation. Their strength of schedule is not as strong as most of the other higher tier SEC teams. Florida, South Carolina, and LSU all have tougher slates this year.
    Last edited by Catfish1314; 10-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Eh, I think that is a very interesting question. I actually think the two undefeated teams would get in, but it may depend on the severity of the loss for the SEC team. If that scenario plays out, then I think it is BS if a one loss SEC team goes over the two undefeated teams.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

If that scenario were to happen then you mind as well give the SEC an automatic birth to the BCS because that would essentially be what it is.... If you have 2 undefeated teams consisting of Notre Dame (with a brutal schedule) and either a team from the Big 12 or Pac 12 they get in.... As an SEC fan I don't think it would be fair for Oregon to get since they have such an easy schedule but that is typically a solid conference.

Marcus Mariota

Sucks that bradyistheman12, Raidaz4Life, steelcityroller all are now going to be banned for picking stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Sucks that bradyistheman12, Raidaz4Life, steelcityroller all are now going to be banned for picking stanford.
    Nope. I have a get out of banned free card that wrigs gave me back in 07.

Marcus Mariota

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast