Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I hope you're right when you suggest where headed towards the point of no return in 2014, if they can't/won't spend then they never will.
    That's all we have is hope.

I never disputed the fact that at the end of the day you could be absolutely right about this whole situation.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-25-2012 at 01:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That's all we have is hope.

I never disputed the fact that at the end of the day you could be absolutely right about this whole situation.

Ok, let's see what they come up with over the Winter and beyond. I'm wasting too much time on baseball and it's football season. Crazy.

vCash
    Trade Idea:

- Mets acquire C JP Arecendia, IF Y.Escobar, 1b/OF A.Lind from Blue Jays in exchanged for OF J.Bay, IF D.Murphy, & RHP D.Gee.

3 way Deal:

- Indians acquire 1b/OF L.Duda
    - Mets acquire CF C.Crisp
    - Athletics acquire 2-mid level prospects

Mets Starters:

C- JP
    1b- Lind
    2b- Tejada
    SS- Escobar
    3b- Wright
    LF- Kirk Niewenheis
    CF- C.Crisp
    RF- I.Davis

Rotation:

LHP Santana
    RHP Dickey
    LHP Niese
    RHP M.Harvey
    RHP C.Young/ J.Hefner

vCash
    MetsWFAN Pence sac fly scores Pagan. 2-0 Giants in 8th. Geico Insurance Run. (Sorry, we still owed them a couple of mentions)

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSKOMANG4 View Post
    Trade Idea:

- Mets acquire C JP Arecendia, IF Y.Escobar, 1b/OF A.Lind from Blue Jays in exchanged for OF J.Bay, IF D.Murphy, & RHP D.Gee.

3 way Deal:

- Indians acquire 1b/OF L.Duda
    - Mets acquire CF C.Crisp
    - Athletics acquire 2-mid level prospects

Mets Starters:

C- JP
    1b- Lind
    2b- Tejada
    SS- Escobar
    3b- Wright
    LF- Kirk Niewenheis
    CF- C.Crisp
    RF- I.Davis

Rotation:

LHP Santana
    RHP Dickey
    LHP Niese
    RHP M.Harvey
    RHP C.Young/ J.Hefner
    Lind is horrible, but Bay is worse. Nobody's taking his contract. Just wait it out one more year or just cut him in spring.

Also, Ike wouldn't be any better than Duda in the outfield, other than his arm. He stays at first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    metswfan pence sac fly scores pagan. 2-0 giants in 8th. geico insurance run. (sorry, we still owed them a couple of mentions)
    rotflmao!!!!!!
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/everyth...#disqus_thread

Here's the Mets approach going forward, according to Metsblog. I'm torn on whether its good or bad

vCash

Off-Season Thread

Everything Cerrone points out in that blog piece is perfectly logical.. If you never plan to spend more than what $90-100 million on your roster.

Money doesn't equal winning, but dogmatic approaches to the payroll don't either.

The bottom line with this organization is that its best bet is to win off of its talented pitching staff in the future.

But you have to add some real major league talent to the every day roster, and that means actualy spending some money. If they do that, they can win. If they win, they can actually draw people to the park and their financial situation can drastically change.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    The problem with that philosophy going forward is that you are putting all the pressure on the young kids to perform and perform well and right away. Sure there are examples of teams winning with mostly young kids, but is not a surefire way to build a winner. Many of these teams that have build winners through the draft and player development have been so bad for so long that they have accumulated many top 5-10 picks, The Rays, Orioles, Pirates, Nats. The one team that really has not been bad and created a winner are the A's, but they keep turning their roster over and trade a guy when he has some significant value and get 2-3 guys for them.

If this is the way the Mets are going to do things from now, then is best they trade Wright and Dickey and get 4-6 prospects for them and by doing that they would have a better chance of developing better players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    The problem with that philosophy going forward is that you are putting all the pressure on the young kids to perform and perform well and right away. Sure there are examples of teams winning with mostly young kids, but is not a surefire way to build a winner. Many of these teams that have build winners through the draft and player development have been so bad for so long that they have accumulated many top 5-10 picks, The Rays, Orioles, Pirates, Nats. The one team that really has not been bad and created a winner are the A's, but they keep turning their roster over and trade a guy when he has some significant value and get 2-3 guys for them.

If this is the way the Mets are going to do things from now, then is best they trade Wright and Dickey and get 4-6 prospects for them and by doing that they would have a better chance of developing better players.
    It even took the A's six years to get back to the playoffs.

It's just not a philosophy that should be adopted by what's supposed to be a big market franchise.

I like the idealism behind building through the draft with higher draft picks , looking for cheaper home grown stars, and finding value in FA and trade but that idealism doesn't carry over to an impatient NY fan base.

It at least needs to be in conjunction with adding certain significant FA and in some cases while doing that adding significant payroll.

It's great in Oakland because no one cares. They won 94 games this year and still had the 27th best attendance. It's the same with the Rays.

We don't have their farm system neither should we look for market inefficiencies as the only other way to improve this team (other than the years and years of sucking and acquiring high draft picks like you said)
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-27-2012 at 02:37 AM.

vCash
    Yup, agree with every point, but just wanted to add that the A's were the one team that were not getting top 10 picks year after year for half a decade. They were picking around were the Mets have been picking the last few years, but at the same time I do not think the A's are likely to win the AL West next year either or even make the playoffs.

vCash
    Tim Stauffer is a free agent. Could be a solid pick up, Alderson likes his former Padres

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/everyth...#disqus_thread

Here's the Mets approach going forward, according to Metsblog. I'm torn on whether its good or bad

It's a perfect recipe for mediocrity. No ambition whatsoever. The Mets will never win without spending money, because they're never bad enough for long enough to garner the draft picks needed to contend consistently (or at all) that small-market teams like TB and the A's can do. No-one cares about baseball in those towns, and compared to NY they are just towns, let's face it.

Billy Beane can do what he likes and no-one cares, the Bay Area media is incredibly soft and the fans are not going to kick a stink up either.

You want to win 70-80 games every year and keep payroll under $100M, and nowhere close to a big-market figure? this is how you do it. But you'll never make the post-season, and you'll never draft a Strasburg either.

It's a perfect plan for the Coupons.

Basically what Fredo's monkey is telling the unwashed masses who can't think for themselves is, 'we're going to do absolutely nothing, yet again' whilst dangling the 2014 myth to placate them.

This time next year, he'll be out front making his excuses for not spending, citing 'overpaying' etc as the reason, and dummies will buy it.

It's all total and complete BS.

vCash
    Royals may be willing to trade one of their bats for pitching. I would be willing to trade Dickey for Alex Gordon and Christian Colon.

I would trade Duda and Murphy to the Rockies for Dexter Fowler. Then let Valdespin, Havens, Flores, etc. compete for the second base job out of Spring Training.

Sign Russell Martin. He has been on successful teams and Josh Thole would be completely expendable since Dickey will be gone and won't need a personal catcher.

Sign Francisco Liriano. If he makes the rotation it is because he was awesome. If he doesn't make the rotation, then I think we just bought ourselves an awesome lefty arm out of the bullpen.

Sign Rich Harden. Next years Chris Young with more potential. I'd rather a guy that only needs to be healthy to be good, rather than a Oliver Perez type.

Bring back Pelfrey. Why not?

Next years lineup:

CF: Fowler
    SS: Tejada
    3B: Wright
    LF: Gordon
    1B: Davis
    RF: Captain Kirk platoon with Jason Bay
    C: Martin
    2B: Whoever wins the starting job. Could be Colon, Valdespin, Murphy, or even Flores.

Starting Rotation:

Santana
    Niese
    Harvey
    Gee/Harden/Liriano/Pelfrey/McHugh/Wheeler/Mejia/Familia

Bullpen:
    Maybe Pelfrey becomes our long man?
    Maybe Liriano becomes our set up man or closer?
    Bullpen is too much of an unknown...

-----------

Part of what I like about having guys like Davis, Fowler, Gordon, Niese, Harvey, etc. is that they are are young, and even though they may only have a few more years of arbitration eligibility, their trade values have so much potential to increase. This gives us flexibility to make big trades to make room for guys like Nimmo, Flores, etc.
    Last edited by mhschiefs97; 10-27-2012 at 12:25 PM.

vCash
    I stole this from elsewhere but it's a perfect summary of what the Mets intend to do for years.

The Mets plan is to pursue mediocrity, and hope to get lucky and make the playoffs every few years. I guess that works for Oakland and San Diego. But it's not what we in NY aspire to for our team.

That's pretty much it, keep the team, keep payroll low, keep making excuses and hope for a miracle....

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast