Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    If they did trade him, they would need to get back an HUGE haul of young players. Worst case scenario is he leaves via free agency and we get a stupid supplemental pick.
    Unless we get back Mike Trout, the average Met's fan would not approve of a Wright trade. Because of the above, it's foolish for the Mets to make trades w/ the fans in mind. All would be forgotten, if the Mets reach the playoffs in a few years w/ the help of players acquired through a Wright trade.

The point is, what's more beneficial to the Mets, picking up the option and losing him via FA or trading him and getting back young cheap players that can possibly help us next year and on?
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    Unless we get back Mike Trout, the average Met's fan would not approve of a Wright trade. Because of the above, it's foolish for the Mets to make trades w/ the fans in mind. All would be forgotten, if the Mets reach the playoffs in a few years w/ the help of players acquired through a Wright trade.

The point is, what's more beneficial to the Mets, picking up the option and losing him via FA or trading him and getting back young cheap players that can possibly help us next year and on?
    I disagree, but your package is FAR from what it would take for me to trade Wright.

I would want one blue-chip prospect in a package for Wright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I disagree, but your package is FAR from what it would take for me to trade Wright.

I would want one blue-chip prospect in a package for Wright.
    What's better getting a top 5 prospect, or a young cheap proven MLB player along w/ two B level prospects(Richards may contribute for us this year, while Cowart is a year and some change away), and a decent placeholder 3B in Callaspo? Bourjos' walk rate has increased w/ each season in the majors. He was screwed this year w/ the lack of playing time, and just not making contact. Despite that, he walks well; plays plus defense, and is a decent SB guy. It's unlikely we'd get a better package for Wright.

Outside of the Angels, where else can we move Wright?
    However, there are several teams next year who will be in play for Wright, mainly the Phillies; Braves, Angels, and possibly the Marlins. Do you really want to pick up the option and watch Wright sign w/ the Phillies? I can not stress this enough, if we do not extend Wright this winter, we will lose him next year. That's why it's extremely important, that we trade Wright and Dickey if we can't reach extensions come February.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    What's better getting a top 5 prospect, or a young cheap proven MLB player along w/ two B level prospects(Richards may contribute for us this year, while Cowart is a year and some change away), and a decent placeholder 3B in Callaspo? Bourjos' walk rate has increased w/ each season in the majors. He was screwed this year w/ the lack of playing time, and just not making contact. Despite that, he walks well; plays plus defense, and is a decent SB guy. It's unlikely we'd get a better package for Wright.

Outside of the Angels, where else can we move Wright?
    However, there are several teams next year who will be in play for Wright, mainly the Phillies; Braves, Angels, and possibly the Marlins. Do you really want to pick up the option and watch Wright sign w/ the Phillies? I can not stress this enough, if we do not extend Wright this winter, we will lose him next year. That's why it's extremely important, that we trade Wright and Dickey if we can't reach extensions come February.
    A Top 5 prospect in baseball is far more valuable than the package of prospects you are proposing. Bourjos is a great glove with little bat, that is not a player I'd want in return for Wright.

Richards is hit or miss and might be a pen arm, and while I like Cowart, we have a 3B in Flores already, and Aderlin Rodriguez. 3B is not a position I'd trade for.

If I'm dealing Wright, I want a Jurickson Profar or Wil Myers in return.

vCash
    In Sherman's same article where he said the Mets could target Melky:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...oTuUzXkzHF7K/1

* The Mets are desperate to find power at minimal costs this offseason and at no position more than catcher, where their five homers last season were by far the fewest in the majors.

One name to keep an eye on is Miguel Olivo. who is someone they are eyeing this offseason. When the Mets made their priority trade list in July, the Rockies’ Ramon Hernandez was on top for catchers, but Olivo was among the secondary candidates along with Kelly Shoppach, whom they ultimately obtained. But the indications I have received are the Mets are unlikely to retain Shoppach.

The Mariners recently announced they would not pick up Olivo’s $3 million 2013 option. He is far from a perfect candidate; his .239 on-base percentage last season was the worst in the majors (minimum 300 plate appearances) since Corey Patterson’s .238 in 2008. Still, playing in a tough home park for long balls the past two seasons in Seattle, Olivo hit 31 homers. He has reached double digits every season since 2006, a period when only Brian McCann (151) and Mike Napoli (120) have more homers by a catcher than Olivo (112).
    I'm not sure I really see the point in going after Olivo but dumping Shoppach. I think Olivo could actaully get a good amount of money somewhere. I don't want Sandy to overpay for someone who we basically alreayd have.

vCash
    I actually looked up Olivo's stats. I mean if they can get him cheap, he seems like a good platoon partner with Thole. He's a decent fielder who has a gun for an arm, and he supplies good power from behind the plate, something we've lacked. Not that Shoppach doesn't have it, he just hits for a lower average than Olivo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    I actually looked up Olivo's stats. I mean if they can get him cheap, he seems like a good platoon partner with Thole. He's a decent fielder who has a gun for an arm, and he supplies good power from behind the plate, something we've lacked. Not that Shoppach doesn't have it, he just hits for a lower average than Olivo
    He's pretty terrible unless the Mets are convinced that Safeco is the reason for his struggles.

vCash
    He's pretty terrible unless the Mets are convinced that Safeco is the reason for his struggles.
    The Mets are looking for mediocre, which he is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    The Mets are looking for mediocre, which he is
    I do not agree. I'd rather have Thole than this scrub.

vCash
    I'd rather have Josh Thole than Miguel freaking Olivo.

Olivo has no upside whatsoever (besides some occasional power) and Thole at 25 is at least young enough to improve his game a little bit from where it is by learning how to make better contact and spray the ball vs RHP.

Paying Olivo to catch here makes absolutely no sense.

I'd rather give Recker the backup job and see how he is defensively. (Has to be better than Nickeas) We need to play the young guys if we arent going for good veterans.

And it's sickening that Shoppach will likely be hard to retain, via these reports. He has a gun for an arm and can work with the pitching staff.
    Last edited by Vintage; 10-28-2012 at 03:53 PM.

vCash
    Thole's rWAR -0.1

Olivo's rWAR 0.4

It's not enough of a significant difference to pay him 3 or 4 times what Thole makes.

The only thing that intrigues me is Olivo's decent pop but he doesn't do anything besides that.

wOBA .267 and a walk rate of 2.2% isn't impressive either.

We are better off keeping Shoppach.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-28-2012 at 03:58 PM.

vCash
    Aside from his ISO being a tad bit better on the road, his wOBA, OPS, WRC+ is better at home.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits....=C&season=2012

His splits were similar home and road in 2011 in more PA.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-28-2012 at 04:02 PM.

vCash
    If the Mets sign Miguel Olivo and roll into 2013 with Thole and Olivo behind the dish, Im done with the Front Office.

They are on their last straw and this is Alderson's last Offseason to prove to me he's more than a puppet.

Let's see some real talent (championship caliber) like he promised behind the dish.

Go out and make a big trade, make a splash, stop with this mediocre garbage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Aside from his ISO being a tad bit better on the road, his wOBA, OPS, WRC+ is better at home.

His splits were similar home and road last year in more PA.
    We'd be using him against lefties and last year he hit .221 against them. (40 strikeouts in 140 ABs)

Fantastic..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

His splits were similar home and road last year in more PA.
    Playing half of your games there still ****s with you no matter what the numbers say.

He's still not that good though.

Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast