Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Is he worth Niese, Flores, and other prospects though?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Of course it makes sense. Upton just turned 25 and is not even in his prime.

Only problem is that he makes too much money for us.
    Huh, I guess I thought of him as older just because he's been around since he was 19 (2007).

But still, if we're going to go after a guy like Upton or someone else via trade who would make this team a lot better, I think it'd be a lot smarter to keep Dickey.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 10-21-2012 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Is he worth Niese, Flores, and other prospects though?
    I have a feeling that other prospect(s) would include Nimmo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    I have a feeling that other prospect(s) would include Nimmo.
    I wouldn't make that deal.

I understand Upton has a world of talent but i think that's quite a lot for a guy who's coming off a sub par season.

vCash
    Why Upton? he's just not that good. He really isn't.

vCash
    Based on what? Your opinion?

vCash
    Based on what? Your opinion?

His numbers. He's only had 2 really good years. Career OPS in a nice hitting park? .832.

vCash
    I think the Mets will then trade Dickey as Thole is the guy he's most comfortable with catching him. This is one of the reasons knuckle ballers aren't traded at the deadline. He's no use to a team if they don't have anyone to catch him.

By July, your catchers are pretty beat up, so trying to learn how to catch a knuckle baller is just what the doctor ordered for beat up catchers.

If your going to trade Dickey it has to be in the off-season, unless you package him with Thole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    His numbers. He's only had 2 really good years. Career OPS in a nice hitting park? .832.
    That is still very good but OPS is flawed. His career wOBA is .359 from 19 years old to 24. The fact that he's had 2 great years already is pretty amazing.

Even in his "off" years he still has a very solid OBP and defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post
    I think the Mets will then trade Dickey as Thole is the guy he's most comfortable with catching him. This is one of the reasons knuckle ballers aren't traded at the deadline. He's no use to a team if they don't have anyone to catch him.

By July, your catchers are pretty beat up, so trying to learn how to catch a knuckle baller is just what the doctor ordered for beat up catchers.

If your going to trade Dickey it has to be in the off-season, unless you package him with Thole.
    I don't think Dickey is as hard to catch as a traditional knuckler so that shouldn't be an issue.

vCash
    That is still very good but OPS is flawed. His career wOBA is .359 from 19 years old to 24. The fact that he's had 2 great years already is pretty amazing.

Even in his "off" years he still has a very solid OBP and defense.
    I could say wOBA is flawed, we can all say one stat is flawed etc. But the fact remains that he's not that good. He's hitting in a great park and not really putting up huge numbers.

It's all academic anyway because there's no way the Coupons will pay him.

The Upton's are always overrated for some reason.

If you look at last season, he was no better than Pagan.
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 10-22-2012 at 12:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I could say wOBA is flawed, we can all say one stat is flawed etc. But the fact remains that he's not that good. He's hitting in a great park and not really putting up huge numbers.

It's all academic anyway because there's no way the Coupons will pay him.

The Upton's are always overrated for some reason.

If you look at last season, he was no better than Pagan.
    OPS weighs OBP and SLG as the same which is incorrect. We all know a .300/.400/.400 player is more valuable than a .250/.300/.500 player even though they have the same OPS of .800.

wOBA takes into account that OBP is more valuable than SLG, and I believe it's 1.8x more valuable by the calculations. Upton gets on base, which is the main goal.

I agree that the Wilpons would not pay him, but he's still a great player.

BJ Upton is overrated, but Justin is not. Upton has actually had superstar-type seasons at a very young age.

Yes, if you look at only only one season out of all of their seasons of their careers, he was no better than Pagan. Upton at his worst was almost as good as Pagan at his best.

Not to mention the age factor, Upton was only 24 for most of the season. Pagan at 24 was a rookie with the Cubs that was nothing special.

vCash
    wOBA is a much more reliable stat than OPS.

Currently, it correlates to runs scored at a rate of about .95 over the last few seasons.

wOBA had a margin of error of about 5%... better than anything else in the baseball world.

It's about the closest to 100% accuracy you can get.

That's why regardless of the ballpark Justin hits in, that .359 wOBA is pretty impressive for a guy that just turned 25.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-22-2012 at 08:03 PM.

vCash
    Yeah on base skills translate anywhere. His power will be more consistent imo when he's in his late 20's.

vCash
    From reading around, I think the Mets might actually have a chance to sign Napoli. I would take him with Thole as a back up. I know you guys think he may cost too much but it seems the Rangers will let him go and not many teams are gonna throw a large amount of cash at him. We could offer him a starting job a spot in the 5 hole for the next 4 seasons. Then, we trade for a lead off type CF like Gomez or Span.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast