Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mets Interested in Tyler Flowers

“White Sox backup C Tyler Flowers is of some interest to the Mets,” the New York Post reports, according to a source.

The 26-year-old Flowers hit .213 with a .296 OBP, 7 HR, 6 doubles and 13 RBI in 136 at-bats last season for the White Sox. Flowers bats righty and hit .269 in 52 at bats against left-handed pitching.

He suffered a hairline fracture on his left hand at the end of the season, though his team has repeatedly said he will be ready for Spring Training.
    http://metsblog.com/metsblog/mets-ha...tyler-flowers/

I'd actually like this a lot.

vCash
    Lol I can't even read any news about the Mets anymore its pathetic, it really is. Like THIS is newsworthy? Another scrubby guy who will turn out to nothing, like all the other scrubby 1 year rentals and "bargains" we are forced to think are gonna turn into something. So frustrating. I'm just waiting for Wright to be traded and just turn us into the Royals.
    Mikhail Prokhorov

vCash
    He's a 26 year old former top prospect with power and + defense and gamecalling at catcher. He hasn't gotten much of a chance to start in Chicago and his numbers certainly aren't impressive, but he's got talent and a high upside. Defensive catchers tend to develop later offensively compared to other positions.

He's a better option than Thole because he's an actual catcher first and foremost.

vCash
    Flowers has the tools to be a good power hitting catcher with plus defense(strong arm and good game caller) and a decent eye at the plate. He has a long swing, so he struggles when he isn't playing regularly.

When I have to think at a MLB comp Chris Ianetta comes to mind. A best case scenario would be Mike Napoli. He isn't a (future) star, but don't expect the Sox to just give him away. IMO he wouldn't be a good fit at Citi field as a RH pull hitter, so if I' m the Mets I would ask myself if there aren't better options available

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by keymax View Post
    Flowers has the tools to be a good power hitting catcher with plus defense(strong arm and good game caller) and a decent eye at the plate. He has a long swing, so he struggles when he isn't playing regularly.

When I have to think at a MLB comp Chris Ianetta comes to mind. A best case scenario would be Mike Napoli. He isn't a (future) star, but don't expect the Sox to just give him away. IMO he wouldn't be a good fit at Citi field as a RH pull hitter, so if I' m the Mets I would ask myself if there aren't better options available
    In the old Citi Field I would agree with you, but it is much easier to pull homers now for RH batters at Citi with the shorter closer fences.

We are so dry at catcher, we could really use a guy like Flowers.

vCash
    Niceeee he sucks so we will probably get him

vCash

He's a much younger version of Kelly Shoppach, but he is 27.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    I believe he still has plenty of potential. I think a platoon would be good for him and the Mets.

vCash
    I doubt he goes anywhere unless Pierzynski is resigned. I also don't know what the Mets have to trade for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    He's a much younger version of Kelly Shoppach, but he is 27.
    Idk about that, he's better defensively and has a larger powerful frame. He reminds me of Arencibia but bigger with better defense.

vCash
    Wow Tyler Flowers has legit power. He is averaging 419 ft on his homers this year and 412 ft last year.

Enjoy a couple bombs:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...11153&c_id=mlb
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...51943&c_id=mlb
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...44547&c_id=mlb

This is one rumor I hope turns out to be true.

vCash
    Shite.

vCash

Sandy is definitely looking in the right direction. We need a young, right hand hitting catcher to mesh with Thole. Although I'm not sure the ChiSox will be willing to move Flowers if they don't resign Pierzinski, It doesn't hurt to try. Flowers is a big (almost huge at 6'4" - 245#) kid with good offensive potential and he is solid behind the plate.

To answer your question, there are other options out there, that I suspect Sandy will consider. Arencibia is one, but he may be too costly, in terms of the return the Jays would look for. Two others that I think warrant consideration are Chun-Hsiu Chen of Cleveland and Hector Sanchez of San Fran. Both are blocked in their organizations and could grow into fine first string backstops.

Sanchez, who will be 23 in a few days, already has a year plus of major league experience. He a switch hitter with some pop. He had excellent plate discipline as a teen ager, but has gotten away from that recently. If he could follow the Mets mantra of patience at the plate and get back to what he was doing before, he could be a real find.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    I think the Flowers ship has sailed. It's a shame how he was blocked by Pierzynski. White Sox should've traded him sooner if he wasn't going to start.

He won't be worse than Thole, so whatever.

vCash
    He has power, can draw walks, strikes out a ton and will hit for low average. The defense is a plus though and that is why I would not mind him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast