Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mets May Start Talks With Wright & Dickey Next Week

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1182522

Mets officials and the agents for David Wright have not yet scheduled a meeting or begun formal contract negotiations, but could do so next week, according to people involved in the process.
    There have not yet been substantive talks between the team and R.A. Dickey’s representatives either — although in both cases, general manager Sandy Alderson engaged the veterans in informal discussions before the season ended.

In the final days of the season, Alderson vowed an aggressive push to re-sign the two “core players” as quickly as possible. Given the fact that talks have not yet begun, is it still possible that either player could be signed this month?

“Too early to tell,” one Mets source said.

Both Wright and Dickey have one year left on their contracts in the form of club options for 2013, but the Mets are seeking big-picture resolution on both this fall. Alderson has made clear that, whatever the potential risks of a offering a long-term contract to a player — Wright — who will turn 30 next season, he is interested in committing the years and dollars necessary to retain the third baseman, who could command a contract of six or seven years and $120 million or more.

There appears to be more internal debate about Dickey, although Alderson is said by associates to be sincere in his view of the 37-year-old Cy Young candidate as worthy of another multiyear deal. In some corners of the organization, there is concern about the knuckleballer’s age, and the injuries that he was able to pitch through during the past two seasons. Contract talks broke down last season, and if that happens again, Dickey could be shopped to other teams.

But Alderson has already launched his pitch to Wright and Dickey, in conversations that took place in September. Presenting an honest assessment of the team’s ability to contend next year (in summary: Anything can happen, but it will probably take another year before the Mets can finish .500 or better), the GM has assured the players that he expects greater financial flexibility before the 2014 season, and believes that the organization’s young pitchers will be developed by that time.

vCash
    Maybe they'll sign if the Mets give them a pennant.

vCash
    I'm kind of hoping we trade Dickey because he could really get us some nice pieces back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I'm kind of hoping we trade Dickey because he could really get us some nice pieces back.
    Agreed. Add to Harvey, Wheeler, Familia, and Mejia and build up a great pitching staff.

A promising bat wouldn't be bad either.

vCash
    Trade Dickey, roll with with Santana, Harvey, Niese, Gee, and Wheeler next year.

vCash
    When are they going to negotiate my 100 million contract?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    In before someone complains about contract talks starting next week and not this past.

vCash
    Let the long drawn out process begin for the winter. I'm telling you these negotiations will become stagnant after the initial meeting.

vCash
    Trade Dickey, roll with with Santana, Harvey, Niese, Gee, and Wheeler next year.
    And don't worry they will trade Dickey and after negotiations with Wright sour they will trade him during next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    When are they going to negotiate my 100 million contract?
    If I was running things I wouldn't play games with you foC.......6 years for 120 million with a team option seventh season worth 20 million or a 6 miilion dollar buyout.

vCash
    Nevermind 'may' start, get on with it. It's always the same, the Mets 'are 'going' to do something, yet never actually do.

Sick and tired of it.

Go and jump off a bridge Fred.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    If I was running things I wouldn't play games with you foC.......6 years for 120 million with a team option seventh season worth 20 million or a 6 miilion dollar buyout.
    I know I speak for the rest of the PSD Mets forum when i say that Silver Seaver must be named the Mets GM TODAY!

Hell, I'd even be willing to donate my seventh season option to charity.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    If we could get a serious haul I wouldn't be opposed. I love Dickey, but his window is short and we are planning for the future. That said, despite his brilliance I can't see too many teams lining up their top prospects for a 37 year old knuckle-baller. Perhaps a team that feels they are one big time pitcher away from the World Series. I can't see a non-playoff or fringe team selling there future for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    If we could get a serious haul I wouldn't be opposed. I love Dickey, but his window is short and we are planning for the future. That said, despite his brilliance I can't see too many teams lining up their top prospects for a 37 year old knuckle-baller. Perhaps a team that feels they are one big time pitcher away from the World Series. I can't see a non-playoff or fringe team selling there future for him.

The Yankees need starters. Dickey for Swisher?
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    The Yankees need starters. Dickey for Swisher?
    Even if Swisher wasn't a FA, the idea of Dickey in a Yankee uniform makes me want to throw up.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-16-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast