Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

If a pitcher makes an error and that run scores, should it count as an earned run?

If a pitcher makes an error which allows the guy to get on base, and that run eventually scores, shouldnt that count as an earned run for the pitcher? Idk if that sounds stupid, but thats just how I feel considering its the pitcher's fault.

vCash
    I don't think it should, considering that would be penalizing him for his poor fielding ability rather than rewarding him for getting an easy ground ball or fly ball in the infield.

vCash
    Fielding and pitching are too different monsters. I feel as if it'd just skew statistics.

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    When I think of un-earned runs, It means the pitcher had no control of the fielder making the error. But if the pitcher makes the error, it is under his control and he could have prevented it by fielding the ball correctly, or throwing on target. I feel that should be marked as an earned run

vCash
    But the team really didn't earn the run. Hence "earned runs". Do they earn the run if they score on an error from the RF'er? No. So why should they count it as "earned" with an error from anyone?

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    His era won't get affected bc of his own error LOL oxymoron

vCash
    I've thought the same thing. If it's the pitcher's fault, such as Lynn last night, I feel it should be charged to him because it was his fault that the runners got on base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Fielding and pitching are too different monsters. I feel as if it'd just skew statistics.
    Yup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    His era won't get affected bc of his own error LOL oxymoron
    I'm pretty sure you don't know what "oxymoron" means.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Actually makes sense... if the pitcher screws it up for himself then it should be considered an earned run... But they won't change it

vCash
    ERA would no longer measure pitching(which it already sucks at).

Basically, it would take a ****** stat and make it less telling as well as skewing the few reliable stats that incorporate earned runs and that's it.

vCash
    I think it's an interesting discussion. Ultimately I don't see where it makes sense to penalize a Pitcher's ERA using a defensive metric.

I think a better discussion is what stat should be weighted higher with relief pitchers: Holds or ERA.

vCash
    The one issue I have for era is if a pitcher leaves a guy on first base, then gets replaced by another pitcher and that pitcher gives up a home run, the original pitcher is charged with an earned run. Even though it was the pitcher after him's that made the pitching mistake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    The one issue I have for era is if a pitcher leaves a guy on first base, then gets replaced by another pitcher and that pitcher gives up a home run, the original pitcher is charged with an earned run. Even though it was the pitcher after him's that made the pitching mistake.
    The first pitcher is the reason the whole mess started.

I think these ideas are natural to have, but I think people are thinking too far into this regardless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    The first pitcher is the reason the whole mess started.

I think these ideas are natural to have, but I think people are thinking too far into this regardless.
    If the first pitcher gave up 1 single, and that player scored by a homerun from the next pitcher, the first one created a mess?

Imo there should be a stat that tells you that you let the runner on yes, but you are not the reason how the runner got home.

But the main flaw with ERA and Win/Loss record is simple. Pithcer A starts the game, lasts 2 innings and doesn't give up a run. Pitcher B takes over and manages to hold off the offense for the next 7 innings.

Pitcher A gets true didn't allow a run, but even worse get's credited for the win since he pitched before pitcher B>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast