Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

After PS, quick poll to rate the coaches

Thibs comes in at 2nd. Rankings are in inverse order.

Link: http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/t...ching-rankings

With the beginning of the season on the horizon, lets take a close look at the NBAs coaching corps. Here they are, ranked from the worst to the best:

30. Mike Dunlap (Charlotte): It's always extremely difficult for a college coach to gain the confidence of NBA players. His buddy-buddy approach during the summer league wont work with hardened veterans over the long haul.

29. Jacque Vaughn (Orlando): In way over his head, but the absence of Dwight Howard will provide an excuse for a disappointing season.

28. Mark Jackson (Golden State): Confused. Inept. Should have put in his time learning his craft as an assistant coach.

27. Randy Wittman (Washington): Never came close to having a winning season. Nice guy but a proven loser.

26. Alvin Gentry (Phoenix): Personable, but lacks two things the necessary charisma and Steve Nash.

25. Vinny Del Negro (LA Clippers): Obstinate. Combative. Lucky to have coached two great point guards (Derrick Rose and Chris Paul) to run the show.

24. Larry Drew (Atlanta): His teams lack discipline.

23. Byron Scott (Cleveland): Arrogant. Takes too much credit for his part as a player in Lakers dynasty. Had success in New Jersey only because Jason Kidd made most of the on-court decisions.

22. Mike Brown (LA Lakers): Makes poor in-game adjustments. Caters to his star players. Has been fortunate to coach Kobe Bryant and LeBron James. Known around the NBA as the most overrated coach in the league.

21. Kevin McHale (Houston): Cant hide his cynical attitude. Not thoroughly committed to coaching.

20. Dwane Casey (Toronto): Has never been trusted to coach a good team. Lacks the requisite dynamic personality.

19. Terry Stotts (Portland): His coaching game plan matches what he did as a player: Good offense, bad defense. A perfect assistant coach.

18. Mike Woodson (New York): Preaches slow-down, iso game. Lacks flexibility. Solidly mediocre.

17. Scott Brooks (Oklahoma City): Has great talent at his disposal, but his Xs and Os acumen remains unproven.

16. Monty Williams (New Orleans): One of the leagues best young coaches. Still learning his trade.

15. Tyrone Corbin (Utah): Runs Jerry Sloans system with admirable consistency. But needs to open up offense.

14. Frank Vogel (Indiana): The Pacers always play hard. Rarely gets caught on the negative side of matchups. Makes terrific use of his bench.

13. Keith Smart (Sacramento): Improves every year by leaps and bounds. Open to learning. Has helped DeMarcus Cousins develop.

12. Lionell Hollins (Memphis): Solid in every respect. Diligent, knowledgeable, terrific motivator.

11. Lawrence Frank (Detroit): Works as hard as any of his peers. Feisty. Master of strategy. Deserves a better position than coaching the nowhere Pistons.

10. Avery Johnson (Brooklyn): Has controlled his habitual manic intensity that alienates his players. Leads the league in assistants with seven. Will be blamed when Nets fail to achieve the unreachable expectations established by the local media.

9. Scott Skiles (Milwaukee): Abrasive. Demanding. The Billy Martin of the NBA. But his teams always play hard.

8. Erik Spoelstra (Miami): Very good Xs and Os. Did a great job managing the teams gigantic egos. Perhaps the most underrated coach in the league.

7. Doug Collins (Philadelphia): Has greatly matured since Chicago. Has an outstanding basketball IQ.

6. Rick Adelman (Minnesota): Adjusts his system to fit the talents of his roster and gets his players to execute. A winner.

5. George Karl (Denver): Still innovating after all these years mostly on offense. Has an uptempo style that players enjoy.

4. Rick Carlisle (Dallas): Can roar at refs. Otherwise has a calm demeanor that promotes stability.

3. Doc Rivers (Boston): Has total commitment to his team and to his job. Better X-and-0 coach than given credit for.

2. Tom Thibodeau (Chicago): Excellent strategist. Best defensive coach in the NBA. Leads his peers with .757 lifetime winning percentage (albeit after only two seasons). His genius will be sorely tested sans Rose.

1. Gregg Popovich (San Antonio): Great motivator and disciplinarian. Refreshingly honest at all times. Doing a wonderful job of integrating new players (like Kawhi Leonard) into the mix. As core players begin to show their age, managing to keep the Spurs competitive while rebuilding.

vCash
    8. Erik Spoelstra (Miami): Very good Xs and Os. Did a great job managing the teams gigantic egos. Perhaps the most underrated coach in the league.

This is the guy that basically gives the ball to Lebron hands from the beginning until the end of the point... at least he does it so many times! Some times the ball isnt even passed to anyone... Mario Chalmers is completely an marionet on this team.

He doesnt manage team ego ... They were champions and have the best player in the NBA ...
    Motivating Picture for PORTUGAL @ Brasil World Cup

vCash
    Tom should be rated the #1 coach in the NBA and he got snub from winning his 2nd COY award in a row.

I knew Mark Jackson would be a suck *** coach and Vinny Dumb Negro is almost at the bottom 5.

BULLS ZORD

vCash
    I would put Thibs at third. The first half of this season determines whether he's worth being up there with Popovich or Rivers.

vCash
    Spo is way too high. I think the top 3 are correct.

Avery Johnson also too high imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TopsyTurvy View Post
    I would put Thibs at third. The first half of this season determines whether he's worth being up there with Popovich or Rivers.
    George Karl > Rivers

1. Pop
    2. Thibs
    3. Karl
    4. Rivers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shammyguy3 View Post
    George Karl > Rivers

1. Pop
    2. Thibs
    3. Karl
    4. Rivers
    Yea that's certainly arguable. I just can't put Thibs up there when he has benefited just as much from Derrick as VDN has from his PG's(that's not a comparison of coaches, just situation). Thibs is a great coach with a great scheme, but I need to see a little bit more.

vCash
    That's a fair point, although i think with seeing how well the Bulls' have performed with seemingly one-dimensional players throughout their lineups the past two years coupled with the crazy injuries we have had, it's enough for me. This season will hopefully solidify that.

Let's not forget though - Pop has had Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker. All top-15 players or better at some point in their careers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shammyguy3 View Post
    That's a fair point, although i think with seeing how well the Bulls' have performed with seemingly one-dimensional players throughout their lineups the past two years coupled with the crazy injuries we have had, it's enough for me. This season will hopefully solidify that.

Let's not forget though - Pop has had Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker. All top-15 players or better at some point in their careers.
    Yea Pop has talent as well, but I don't think he's been blessed with one of the deepest teams in the league over the past two years.

vCash
    he had arguably the best bench last season (along with Philly, Denver, Chicago)