Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Not if we give up more talent and ask them to eat some of the salary.
    That makes zero sense. This team needs to be hoarding talent, not giving up more to save money. Especially with a guy like Chris Young who would have a zero percent chance to be on the team past 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    That makes zero sense. This team needs to be hoarding talent, not giving up more to save money. Especially with a guy like Chris Young who would have a zero percent chance to be on the team past 2014.
    Then you don't get him. When I say more talent, I'm not talking a lot more. They can eat half of the salary.

Young shouldn't cost much anyway, and I wouldn't say he has no chance to be on the team past 2014.

vCash
    In 2010 Chris Young posted a 5.2 WAR and in 2011 a 4.6 WAR.

Last year was a down year. Simple as that. He didn't get to 500 ABs like in seasons prior. We have to bring him aboard.

He would really help the OF with his speed on defense and right handed bat in the lineup.

Young would have definite staying potential if we brought him aboard even if he is a 2014 FA.

Does good, retain him.
    Does bad, let him go.

So much upside.. I want Young in center field so badly.

vCash
    Even last year his WAR was 2.8 so it's not like he sucked.

vCash
    Even last year his WAR was 2.8 so it's not like he sucked.
    Hopefully Arizona eats some salary and we can pull this off.

I feel like we need two outfielders to change up the look of our outfield. Speed, defense, a little pop, and raw potential.

If we got Chris Young that would be a great start..

I would also look at a guy like Rajai Davis because we need a true leadoff hitter.

My next bet if trades for Davis are out of the question would be Melky Cabrera on a discount. He can hit anywhere in the lineup.

I know I might be in the minority but he switch hits, has speed, a good arm, and plays great defense in all 3 outfield positions.

If Hairston latches on somewhere else as a starter and Melky is left sitting there because of this whole 50 game suspension, I would snatch him up for his upside. All the Mets can rely on is upside and for a cheap opportunity cost, Melky has it!
    Last edited by Vintage; 10-16-2012 at 05:53 PM.

vCash
    We don't have money to sign Melky, and no thanks on Rajai Davis.

And Young's "potential" is pretty much gone, the dude is 29 now.

vCash
    We don't have money to sign Melky, and no thanks on Rajai Davis.

And Young's "potential" is pretty much gone, the dude is 29 now.
    You've said you want Peter Bourjos (who the Angels aren't likely to trade.)

So then why is Rajai Davis an automatic no? He can produce similar numbers in 2013 for a cheaper price to pay.

He really improved this year and steals so many bases like Bourjos while playing great defense in left.

No, he's not as fast as Bourjos who is probably the quickest man in the game, but Davis can fly regardless.

At 31, he has enough experience where he can be relied upon to do what he has done before.

If we look to get Arrencibia... we should look to get Davis as well. We'd have to give up more but we'd be changing the dynamic of the offense for the better with speed and power. Add Young into that mix and you're really cooking with fire. Speed and power. Speed and power. Speed and power. Would change so much.
    Last edited by Vintage; 10-16-2012 at 06:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    You've said you want Peter Bourjos (who the Angels aren't likely to trade.)

So then why is Rajai Davis an automatic no? He can produce similar numbers in 2013 for a cheaper price to pay.

He really improved this year and steals so many bases like Bourjos while playing great defense in left.

No, he's not as fast as Bourjos who is probably the quickest man in the game, but Davis can fly regardless.

At 31, he has enough experience where he can be relied upon to do what he has done before.

If we look to get Arrencibia... we should look to get Davis as well. We'd have to give up more but we'd be changing the dynamic of the offense for the better with speed and power. Add Young into that mix and you're really cooking with fire. Speed and power. Speed and power. Speed and power. Would change so much.
    I would get Bourjos if he comes somewhat cheap. He's an abosolute monster in CF defensively and is young enough to improve with the bat.

Rajai Davis is a no because he is not good. Low OBP, not that much power, average defender(outside of that catch) he just steals bases. He is turning 32 soon, so he's not a good target.

Would try to snag D'Arnaud before Arencibia.

vCash
    The fact that we are talking about Peter Bourjos and Rajai Davis as if they could be saviors is just plain sad....

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    The fact that we are talking about Peter Bourjos and Rajai Davis as if they could be saviors is just plain sad....
    We're not talking of them as saviors, more as pieces that could potentially help us next year and/or in the future

vCash
    I'd take Young if he didn't cost a lot. He has good pop and great speed and plays a good OF. Kubel, well he's like Duda but worst. You can't find a position for him

vCash
    No one is worse than Duda. I don't know where this notion came from that Kubel was worse.

vCash
    I know UZR is an unreliable stat but

Lucas Duda -20.8 UZR

Jason Kubel -4.2 UZR

I know Kubel was predominantly a LF and Duda in RF but i am sure few people could argue with that stat in relation to Duda having watching him out there everyday
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-17-2012 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    Just to put Duda's defense in perspective (among other points in the article which gives good debate whether the Mets should trade Ike and put Duda at first)

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...or-lucas-duda/

His larger-sample (1300+ innings) outfield work has been so bad, though. Worst in the league among outfielders with 1000+ innings since 2010, that’s how bad he’s been. Ten runs per one-fifty worse than second-worst even.

The defensive spectrum suggests that first base is only about five runs easier than left field, which would in turn suggest that Duda would also be a terrible defensive first baseman. But there is such a thing as not being suited for the outfield. Near the end of his career as an outfielder, Adam Dunn was a -30+ corner outfielder, and since then he’s been something like a -5 first baseman. Shawn Green was a -20 corner outfielder before being a better-than-scratch first baseman for a few seasons late in his career. Duda is no graceful gazelle, but his issues — foot speed in particular — are mitigated at first. Let’s call him a -5 first baseman.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-17-2012 at 08:57 PM.

vCash
    Kubel might be bad out there but i can't see him being any worse than Duda the butcher in LF is and probably will end up being next year.

Either way i guess Young is growing me on me a bit, i wouldnt mind seeing him out there if they could get him for the right package.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast