Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Where is link that he would decide by today other than derek's word?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    Where is link that he would decide by today other than derek's word?
    After rereading the story I think it meant he would decide between the MLB and NPB on Monday.

Everything seems to point to the Rangers, Yankees and Dodgers being the three favorites to land him.

It may come down to who wants to go over the international spending limit the most. As the penalty is 100% of amount you go over and not being able to sign anyone for over 250,000 next year. For a guy of Otanis talent it would be well worth it. Analysts believe that if he were draft eligible he might of been picked #1 and certainly top 5.

vCash
    He's going to enter the draft, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UPRock View Post
    I'd answer this question congenially, but based on your "why aren't the dodgers in the postseason?" comment in tandem with the above question, I feel the following answer is not only warranted, but it's necessary.

No, Moron.
    Introducing Dodgers' Opponents' 2014 Lineups

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 -

vCash
    he has decided that he doesn't want to play pro in Japan, however, due to the new cap on spending limits, i think he might make more entering the coming US draft if he knew he could go #1 because the signing slot for it is higher than anyone can pay right now.

vCash
    The Dodgers had no comment when asked about him today which to me is a good sign that we are in negotiations IMO.

vCash
    Here's a link on the international signing rules... Just in case anyone was wondering.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2012/2613345.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    he has decided that he doesn't want to play pro in Japan, however, due to the new cap on spending limits, i think he might make more entering the coming US draft if he knew he could go #1 because the signing slot for it is higher than anyone can pay right now.
    He would likely make more entering the draft, but he would lose all negotiating power. Because he's an international player, he'll lose even more leverage than the average American ball player since he'd have no real options but to return home where he already withdrew from the FYPD.

In the draft, the team that takes you has all the rights, and if you can't work out a deal, you have to sit out a season. What are his options then? It's not likely an international import bound for stardom pitches in the independent league. He'd have no choice, but to sit out a year and re-enter the draft.

As a free agent he can pick his own team, dictate his assent to the show, and negotiate on his own terms with whatever team he wants.

Could he go for the big bucks? Yeah, but I wouldn't take the risks.

vCash
    Shohei Otani, the Japanese pitching prospect who intends to pursue a career in MLB, appears to be an elite talent comparable to those selected in the top half of the first round of baseballís amateur draft. The right-hander had been a potential first overall pick in Japan before he announced his intention to play for an MLB organization. And, according to Jim Callis of Baseball America, Dodgers assistant GM Logan White told Japanese reporters that Otani could go first overall if he were eligible for the MLB draft.

However, the 18-year-old free agent wonít be draft eligible. Otani will be subject to spending restrictions as an international amateur, which means teams will face consequences if they exceed the $2.9MM international bonus threshold to sign him. Teams will be taxed at a rate of 100% for exceeding the 2.9MM threshold by more than 15%. These clubs would also forfeit the right to spend more than $250K on an international player during the following yearís signing period.

Callis suggests these restrictions wonít be too much of a deterrent for interested MLB teams. Boston GM Ben Cherington confirmed today that the Red Sox met with Otani, Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports (on Twitter). The Red Sox and Rangers ďhave done the most work in this arena,Ē ESPN.comís Buster Olney reported today. Meanwhile, the Angels arenít expected to be heavily involved, Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com reports (on Twitter).
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    What other international players are out there that we could miss out on if we decided to go over the limit. Iwill be pissed if he goes to Boston. Money is not the issue, just the possibility that tenet are other out there. But he sure sounds good

vCash
    last time boston picked up a japanese pitcher as the next big thing, it didnt really go to well that should be put into account as a bargaining chip when the dodgers talk to him lol
    LAKERS/RAMS/DODGERS/UCLA/MAN U/MEXICO
    Shut it down. Let's go home.

vCash
    Hope you are right

vCash

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    also, good thing is, if the dodgers decide not to go with him, we can be sure its cuz they dont think he's good enough lol

This is how we do it! I still believe

vCash
    Nippon Ham selected him with their #1 overall pick in the NPB draft.

Watching the news last night at a bar here, he basically said "Thanks, but I still want to go to the US."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast