Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I love Tim Fedroff, the guy just needs a chance. He's produced everywhere he's been.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...-rotation.html

addresses a lot of areas about the direction that the Tribe may be headed.

Regarding Fedroff...you are right, he has hit wherever he has played, however he is not the type of player that you put in your lineup as an everyday DH. He would need to win a starting OF position in order for him to be of any real value for the Tribe (and, barring injury, that ain't gonna happen). When you put at guy in the DH spot, he needs to hit, drive in runs, and hit for power...last year was the first year in his minor league career that Fedroff hit double digit HR...and he's never had more than 63 RBI in the minors (with 3 seasons over 440 ABs).

I am intrigued by McDade and McGuiness...both have shown power in the minors while hitting for reasonable averages (the knock is that both are 1B, which means that one will more than likely be lost). Hopefully, one of them will go nuts in Spring Training and be worthy of taking the DH reigns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...-rotation.html

addresses a lot of areas about the direction that the Tribe may be headed.

Regarding Fedroff...you are right, he has hit wherever he has played, however he is not the type of player that you put in your lineup as an everyday DH. He would need to win a starting OF position in order for him to be of any real value for the Tribe (and, barring injury, that ain't gonna happen). When you put at guy in the DH spot, he needs to hit, drive in runs, and hit for power...last year was the first year in his minor league career that Fedroff hit double digit HR...and he's never had more than 63 RBI in the minors (with 3 seasons over 440 ABs).

I am intrigued by McDade and McGuiness...both have shown power in the minors while hitting for reasonable averages (the knock is that both are 1B, which means that one will more than likely be lost). Hopefully, one of them will go nuts in Spring Training and be worthy of taking the DH reigns.
    Some people just don't hit for power in the minors, Drew Stubbs is a perfect example. he metioned in a interview that he really didn't hit for power until he reached the big leauges.

BTW- I never said Fedroff for DH, I just want guys who can hit. Put him in Right, move swish to DH or 1st and reynolds to DH etc... alot of different moves you can do.

I think if the year goes south thats what your see for sure.

vCash
    Musing w/ just over five weeks before the starting of spring training in Goodyear Arizona...

Tim Fedroff: Was given a spot on the 40 man roster as a reward for his performance in the past two seasons at AA and AAA, respectively. The 2012 season was particularly impressive. Fedroff has hit at the MiLB level, however, the ML level is a huge step up in competition. His swing mechanics and bat speed are not the greatest, but, he's been able to over come those issues and hit. The Indians will take him to ST with the idea that he may be able to beat out Zeke Carrera for the 4th OF spot. The Indians have two CF'ers who are locks for the roster, so, Zeke's advantage of playing CF is no longer an issue. Where Fedroff does have a disadvantage is with Chris McGuiness. If the Indians want to keep him, they have to roster him for the entire 2013 season. IOW, McGuiness could take Fedroff's spot on the opening day roster..

Metsblog.com has an interesting piece about the Mets wanting to trade Johan Santana and a "large" portion of his contract. The contract calls for around $ 31 MM & includes the buyout for 2014, however, there is a full NTC that would have to be considered. IMHO, Johan leaving the Mets and going to Cleveland w/ Francona and the AL Central may be a very good fit for him. The article says the Mets would be willing to pick up a "BIG" portion of the contract in return for a medium prospect (C to a C+ ?) While Johan had a rough second half and was shut down for recurring shoulder pain, he did pitch like the ACE he is for the first half of the season. Any one of the 2B/SS prospects the Indians have (Ronny Rodriguez, Tony Wolters, Jose Ramirez) and perhaps a BP arm may be enough to acquire Johan. If the medicals prove to be positive, could he be that good risk reward veteran SP the Indians could use or turn into a "windfall" at the trading deadline?

what say you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Musing w/ just over five weeks before the starting of spring training in Goodyear Arizona...

Tim Fedroff: Was given a spot on the 40 man roster as a reward for his performance in the past two seasons at AA and AAA, respectively. The 2012 season was particularly impressive. Fedroff has hit at the MiLB level, however, the ML level is a huge step up in competition. His swing mechanics and bat speed are not the greatest, but, he's been able to over come those issues and hit. The Indians will take him to ST with the idea that he may be able to beat out Zeke Carrera for the 4th OF spot. The Indians have two CF'ers who are locks for the roster, so, Zeke's advantage of playing CF is no longer an issue. Where Fedroff does have a disadvantage is with Chris McGuiness. If the Indians want to keep him, they have to roster him for the entire 2013 season. IOW, McGuiness could take Fedroff's spot on the opening day roster..

Metsblog.com has an interesting piece about the Mets wanting to trade Johan Santana and a "large" portion of his contract. The contract calls for around $ 31 MM & includes the buyout for 2014, however, there is a full NTC that would have to be considered. IMHO, Johan leaving the Mets and going to Cleveland w/ Francona and the AL Central may be a very good fit for him. The article says the Mets would be willing to pick up a "BIG" portion of the contract in return for a medium prospect (C to a C+ ?) While Johan had a rough second half and was shut down for recurring shoulder pain, he did pitch like the ACE he is for the first half of the season. Any one of the 2B/SS prospects the Indians have (Ronny Rodriguez, Tony Wolters, Jose Ramirez) and perhaps a BP arm may be enough to acquire Johan. If the medicals prove to be positive, could he be that good risk reward veteran SP the Indians could use or turn into a "windfall" at the trading deadline?

what say you?

If Fedroff can't beat out Zeke then ill take everything back lol. i just hope its a fair contest with McGuiness.

As for Santana I don't think the indians would take on that money. They are prob done spending for at least the next 3-4 years. But if it were me and Santana was healthy no question I would do it. Even more so if i don't have to give up much.

vCash
    for a C/C+ prospect and a piece from the bullpen (not named Vinnie Pestano, Nick Hagadone, Cody Allen, Bryan Shaw)...with the Mets picking up the bulk of the remainder of the contract...do it yesterday!

That said...we would have one of the biggest boom/bust rotations in MLB...Masterson coming off a down year, Jimenez coming off a horrible year, Myers trying to come back from the pen, and Santana coming off of being shut down for shoulder pain after a bad start to his 2nd half...if these guys do what they did in 2012, we could be BAD...if they do what they are capable of, we could be playing WELL into October (or, get a windfall of prospects at the deadline)!

vCash
    for a C/C+ prospect and a piece from the bullpen (not named Vinnie Pestano, Nick Hagadone, Cody Allen, Bryan Shaw)...with the Mets picking up the bulk of the remainder of the contract...do it yesterday!

That said...we would have one of the biggest boom/bust rotations in MLB...Masterson coming off a down year, Jimenez coming off a horrible year, Myers trying to come back from the pen, and Santana coming off of being shut down for shoulder pain after a bad start to his 2nd half...if these guys do what they did in 2012, we could be BAD...if they do what they are capable of, we could be playing WELL into October (or, get a windfall of prospects at the deadline)!
    BB..you've hit the nail on the head.. you pulled the "One-Armed Bandit" Slot Machine and you've come up three Bars!! A "Potential Boom or Bust" starting pitching staff is the exact description for the Indians. You have to add a rookie phenom as a potential staff ace with four total starts at the major league level and an TJ Surgery returnee to what would be a fine group of Major League Pitchers all PROUD AS HELL to have Chief Wahoo on their sleeve!!... Six weeks to the start of Spring Training in warm and NOT windy Goodyear Arizone !!

The law of averages says that we'd have one ace, two absolute wastes and three passable SP's from the situation. If there is one less waste and one more ace, this team can compete. The Johan idea is purely "pie in the sky" stuff.. That's the Mets attempting to 'shake the bushes' regarding baseball in NYC.. There isn't anything to the whispers.. imho..

vCash
    With the signing of Adam LaRoche in WAS, Michael Morse has now become expendable and they are looking to trade him. One of the teams interested is supposedly Cleveland. I think he would be a great fit here to round out the order.

1. 2B Kipnis - L
    2. SS Cabrera - S
    3. RF Swisher - S
    4. 1B Morse - R
    5. C Santana - S
    6. DH Reynolds - R
    7. LF Brantley - L
    8. 3B Chisenhall - L
    9. CF Stubbs - R

That's actually a pretty damn solid lineup. Would love the power from 3-6

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iAugust View Post
    With the signing of Adam LaRoche in WAS, Michael Morse has now become expendable and they are looking to trade him. One of the teams interested is supposedly Cleveland. I think he would be a great fit here to round out the order.

1. 2B Kipnis - L
    2. SS Cabrera - S
    3. RF Swisher - S
    4. 1B Morse - R
    5. C Santana - S
    6. DH Reynolds - R
    7. LF Brantley - L
    8. 3B Chisenhall - L
    9. CF Stubbs - R

That's actually a pretty damn solid lineup. Would love the power from 3-6
    I agree Morse would be a great pickup. Career .295 hitter? Trade one of our bullpen guys or young infielders for him. But I feel like the Tribe is done making moves this offseason.

vCash
    YES!!!!! I have been enamored with Michael Morse for the past 2 years. He finally got consistent playing time in 2010 and has done nothing but hit since. If you were to put him in the middle of this line-up, which is already MUCH improved over last year, he would be a 25+ HR, 95+ RBI guy with no problem while hitting .280+.

Washington is rumored to be in the market for left handed relief help...which wouldn't be an area that we would be able to help them (only 4 lefties on the 40 man roster...Hagadone, House, Huff, and Barnes....would imagine that they would love to get Hagadone, but he is the only lefty that I would say is untouchable, while the other 3 aren't going to bring back Morse).

If they are after prospects, just in glancing at their ML depth chart, the only real hole that I see is at Catcher. We have a couple of intriguing options there. We have Yan Gomes who can play catcher and has hit everywhere he has been, we also have a stockpile of catchers throughout the minor league system (of varying ability levels).

If we could throw a TJ House and a Gomes at them to get Morse...do you do it?

vCash
    YES!!!!! I have been enamored with Michael Morse for the past 2 years. He finally got consistent playing time in 2010 and has done nothing but hit since. If you were to put him in the middle of this line-up, which is already MUCH improved over last year, he would be a 25+ HR, 95+ RBI guy with no problem while hitting .280+.

Washington is rumored to be in the market for left handed relief help...which wouldn't be an area that we would be able to help them (only 4 lefties on the 40 man roster...Hagadone, House, Huff, and Barnes....would imagine that they would love to get Hagadone, but he is the only lefty that I would say is untouchable, while the other 3 aren't going to bring back Morse).

If they are after prospects, just in glancing at their ML depth chart, the only real hole that I see is at Catcher. We have a couple of intriguing options there. We have Yan Gomes who can play catcher and has hit everywhere he has been, we also have a stockpile of catchers throughout the minor league system (of varying ability levels).

If we could throw a TJ House and a Gomes at them to get Morse...do you do it?
    The simple answer to the question is yes.. however,.. some of your comments need some "tweaking"...

Hagadone is untouchable?.. are you drunk?.. high or both?... There are no untouchables on the Indians..PERIOD. EVERYONE is available for a price. None of these guys are named Mike Trout or Troy Tulowitski..

Best guess, Scotty Barnes would be the most likely target for the Nats. He has shown the ability to be a long man while honing his craft as an RP at the highest level. Hagadone has been the epitome of a trainwreck.. TJ surgery, self inflicted injury.. demotion.. suspension..etc etc..

TJ House?.. what?. how about what the Nats need.. A deep prospect , i.e. Low A ball range, that can replace Danny Espinosa at 2B for the Nats in a couple of year.. Like Tony Wolters?.. maybe?

vCash
    In terms of our limited number of lefties, I would say that Hagadone would be the one that they would have to be overwhelmed to have pried away from them, I guess is what I was trying to get at (though, looking at him, I didn't realize that he is already 27 years old).

Considering their reported "needs" in return, as long as they don't get crazy and ask for Lindor or Bauer...you have to consider it (especially if they can work a reasonable extension with him as a part of the trade). As iAugust said above...adding his bat to our line-up....SCARY! Having actual Major League hitters hitting around Carlos Santana would probably raise his average by at least 20 points while increasing his HR and RBI #s significantly.

1. LH Brantley LF
    2. SH Cabrera SS
    3. SH Swisher RF
    4. RH Morse 1B/DH
    5. SH Santana C
    6. RH Reynolds DH/1B
    7. LH Kipnis 2B
    8. LH Chisenhall 3B
    9. RH Stubbs CF

I moved Brantley to leadoff...with the year that he had last year, you can't put him in the 7 hole (high OBS%, led the team in batting average, decent speed, good bat control, doesn't strike out nearly as often as Kipnis, more experienced hitter).

Either way...if we can find a way to get Morse, I will be spending a lot of time at Progressive Field this year (already planning on spending more than last year...but with another impact bat????).

vCash
    In terms of our limited number of lefties, I would say that Hagadone would be the one that they would have to be overwhelmed to have pried away from them, I guess is what I was trying to get at (though, looking at him, I didn't realize that he is already 27 years old).

Considering their reported "needs" in return, as long as they don't get crazy and ask for Lindor or Bauer...you have to consider it (especially if they can work a reasonable extension with him as a part of the trade). As iAugust said above...adding his bat to our line-up....SCARY! Having actual Major League hitters hitting around Carlos Santana would probably raise his average by at least 20 points while increasing his HR and RBI #s significantly.

1. LH Brantley LF
    2. SH Cabrera SS
    3. SH Swisher RF
    4. RH Morse 1B/DH
    5. SH Santana C
    6. RH Reynolds DH/1B
    7. LH Kipnis 2B
    8. LH Chisenhall 3B
    9. RH Stubbs CF

I moved Brantley to leadoff...with the year that he had last year, you can't put him in the 7 hole (high OBS%, led the team in batting average, decent speed, good bat control, doesn't strike out nearly as often as Kipnis, more experienced hitter).

Either way...if we can find a way to get Morse, I will be spending a lot of time at Progressive Field this year (already planning on spending more than last year...but with another impact bat????).
    Assuming no major slumps, 1-7 of that lineup is a legitimate major league lineup. Fantastic.

vCash
    I'd love Morse in this lineup but at this time I'd still rather take a Starting Pitcher that would be the equilavant to him which would probably be a 3rd or 4th starter at least in my opinion which the Tribe I think still badly need. I do not think the rotation can go into the year depending on Bauer, Carrasco, Huff or Kluber to start the year off let alone the 4 guys that are setup in the rotation right now in Masty, Ubs, Myers and Zach which are all question marks in their own right. I'd rather throw the rotation at DH they are looking at right now and use the trade chips they have to land a SP'er than to use them on Morse. Also Morse is a FA after 2013 so this would be trading prospects again for a one year filler that would probably not be re-signed after the season with still question marks in the starting rotation.

Sorry to see you go Wiggy. Should have went to FSU.

vCash
    If a deal isn't made to extend him, then trading for him would be even cheaper as he is a 30 (soon to be 31) year old free agent to be. I am not saying that we give up any major chips...a reliever or a low level prospect with some upside (preferably at a position that we are deep in the minors like middle infield or C).

I get what you are saying about starting pitching being a huge wild card with this team. I am hoping that there is another starter brought in to allow Bauer and Carrasco to start the year out in AAA...would like either Marcum or Lohse, but will probably have to settle for a lesser name, reclamation project, or aging vet looking to continue their career for another year or two.

Here is a list of available free agent SP along with their ages from mlbtraderumors.com

Erik Bedard (34) - wouldn't be opposed to him for incentive laden deal
    Dallas Braden (29) - missed 2012
    Aaron Cook (34) - eh...not interested
    Freddy Garcia (37) - solid year in '11, but struggled in '12....would have to be cheap
    Jair Jurrjens (27) - question marks surround him
    Jeff Karstens (30) - sub 4.00 ERA last 2 years and still only 30...could do worse
    Kyle Lohse (34) - will be expensive
    Derek Lowe (40) - NOT AGAIN!
    Shaun Marcum (31) - sub 4.00 ERA last 4 years....why is he not signed already?
    Daisuke Matsuzaka (32) - injury prone
    Kevin Millwood (38) - over the hill
    Dustin Moseley (31) - missed most of '12, 3.30 ERA in '11 on bad Padres team
    Jamie Moyer (50) - IS HE REALLY 50???
    Roy Oswalt (35) - doesn't want to come here
    Carl Pavano (37) - eh...retread
    Jonathan Sanchez (30) - good year in '10...other than that, no thanks
    Joe Saunders (32) - lefty...wouldn't be opposed to incentive deal
    Tim Stauffer (31) - missed most of '12, solid '10 and '11...shouldn't cost much off injury
    Chien-Ming Wang (33) - good years in '06 and '07...no thanks
    Kip Wells (36) - have to go back to '03 to find a good season
    Randy Wolf (36) - aging vet lefty...don't want, but would be cheap and IS a lefty
    Chris Young (34) - missed most of '10, '11, and '12...not my cup of tea
    Carlos Zambrano (32) - '02-'10 nothing above 4.00 ERA, not worth headache though

Who sounds good to you guys?

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast