Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 726
  1. #316
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    655
    vCash
    1500
    Problem is, who is the other bat? not much if anything left on the FA market except Napoli (if he never passes his BOS physical) or LaRoche? are they worth the money? LaRoche is 33 and was a 1 yr wonder and Napoli had one very good year and then an ok yr last year w/ decent power numbers but a horrible ops/avg. i wouldn't mind spending the money on marcum if you can get him for the same number as myers or even if you have to go 2 years. adds depth to the starting pitching and like everyone is saying allows bauer and carrasco to start in AAA. this gives them some adjustment time as well as slowing their service time. Bauer only threw 6 games so that doesn't really count and i'm not sure how carrasco's would work since his surgery.

  2. #317
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    9,299
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalow80 View Post
    Problem is, who is the other bat? not much if anything left on the FA market except Napoli (if he never passes his BOS physical) or LaRoche? are they worth the money? LaRoche is 33 and was a 1 yr wonder and Napoli had one very good year and then an ok yr last year w/ decent power numbers but a horrible ops/avg. i wouldn't mind spending the money on marcum if you can get him for the same number as myers or even if you have to go 2 years. adds depth to the starting pitching and like everyone is saying allows bauer and carrasco to start in AAA. this gives them some adjustment time as well as slowing their service time. Bauer only threw 6 games so that doesn't really count and i'm not sure how carrasco's would work since his surgery.
    They are not going to go after Napoli or LaRoche so its not worth bringing up their names. I look for them to try adding a bat through a trade personally and then add another back end rotation guy with the FA money they have left with someone like Saunders, Juireens or Marcum. If they do go the FA route for another bat they could possibly look at Carlos Lee, Delmon Young, bring back Hafner (smh, but there have been rumors) or someone like Scott Hairston if they want to spend a little bit of money. They definately need another back end rotation guy though IMO so they can go into ST with 8-9 pitchers:

    Masty
    Ubs
    McAllister
    Myers
    Kazmir
    Carrasco
    Bauer
    Huff
    Kluber

    Add one more and make Huff the Lefty long reliever if they don't want that to be Barnes just yet and dont want to lose Huff because he is out of options like Gomez was.

    CAN MY DREAMS BECOME MY REALITY?

  3. #318
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,492
    vCash
    1500
    The two questions remain:

    Question #1: Where to get an impact bat?. what position would be most beneficial to the Indians?.. Is there a trade or a free agent that fits best?

    A trade is the only way this is going to happen. If it's a smaller trade, a target could be Logan Morrison from the Marlins. The Marlins would be interested in a deep prospects that should be ready to compete for ML jobs by the end of 2014. The Indians farm system, while void of impact talent in the upper levels, has a plethora of prospects at High A and lower. This seems like a pretty decent fit..

    The Indians may be able to work a deal for Matt Adams from the Cardinals. The primary guy that could be going there would be Asdrubal as part of a larger trade (seems more and more unlikely as the hot stove season progresses) or, a smaller trade for a future SS such as Dorsyss Paulino, who is very well regarded throughout the baseball world.

    A dark horse (someone I've mentioned for about three weeks now) could be Franklin Gutierrez from the Mariners. IF the Indians KEEP Asdrubal, Mike Aviles would be a very nice addition to the Mariners who could use him in very much the same fashion the Indians are planning to use him. The Indians would be inclined to look for another backup middle infielder who's primary position should be SS. Perhaps someone like Josh Rutledge from the Rockies?

    There are bats available in the trade market. They'd be expensive, but only in terms of currency known as "prospects"..

    2. Where to get a pitcher?. should the Indians attempt to get an innings eating middle to back of the rotation starter or should they aim higher?

    The best FA pitcher on the market is Kyle Lohse. He's 34 and represented by Scott Boras. His acquisition would fall into the impossible to no chance in hell of happening category. It is possible the Indians do sign Sean Marcum. That would be nice and would follow along with the ability to save some of the youngers SP's in the Indians system (i.e. Bauer and Carrasco).

    A trade with the Cards, as mentioned above, would solve two problems for the Indians and ONE BIG PROBLEM for the Cardinals. Asdrubal Cabrera should net a "now" SP from the Cardinals along with a bat, such as Matt Adams. The SP's could include but are not limited to Lance Lynn (who has a bit of an eating problem & isn't as well thought of by the Cardinals as you'd think) and perhaps Joe Kelly & Tyrell Jenkins. All of the above would fit..

    Just some thoughts.. on a frigid / frosty morning in NE Ohio...

  4. #319
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    708
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalow80 View Post
    Problem is, who is the other bat? not much if anything left on the FA market except Napoli (if he never passes his BOS physical) or LaRoche? are they worth the money? LaRoche is 33 and was a 1 yr wonder and Napoli had one very good year and then an ok yr last year w/ decent power numbers but a horrible ops/avg. i wouldn't mind spending the money on marcum if you can get him for the same number as myers or even if you have to go 2 years. adds depth to the starting pitching and like everyone is saying allows bauer and carrasco to start in AAA. this gives them some adjustment time as well as slowing their service time. Bauer only threw 6 games so that doesn't really count and i'm not sure how carrasco's would work since his surgery.
    I know it's not entirely relevant to the conversation at hand, but this is the second time I have seen this implied today and am just wondering where this notion comes from.

    2012 --- .271/.343/.510, 10.4 BB%, 21.3 K%, .238 ISO, .298 BABIP, .361 wOBA
    Career - .268/.338/.482, 9.6 BB%, 22.2 K%, .214 ISO, .309 BABIP, .350 wOBA

    Yes, he had a career year, but he is far from a 1-year wonder. He has hit 30+ HR before and had 3 consecutive seasons of 25 HRs. It's not like the guy came out of nowhere

  5. #320
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    9,299
    vCash
    1500
    DMan seems to believe that Canzler is going to be the DH out of Spring Training and the remaining money they have left will go to an additional SP on the back end of the rotation. Apperantly the Tribe were trying to do two things with the money they had left after Swisher and the TV deal got done, 1) They apperantly tried getting Kyle Lohse 2) If they couldn't get Lohse because of the price they would turn to two back end rotation guys. Looks like they are going #2 with Myers and an additional SP'er. I wouldn't mind Marcum to throw in the rotation.

    CAN MY DREAMS BECOME MY REALITY?

  6. #321
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,492
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    DMan seems to believe that Canzler is going to be the DH out of Spring Training and the remaining money they have left will go to an additional SP on the back end of the rotation. Apperantly the Tribe were trying to do two things with the money they had left after Swisher and the TV deal got done, 1) They apperantly tried getting Kyle Lohse 2) If they couldn't get Lohse because of the price they would turn to two back end rotation guys. Looks like they are going #2 with Myers and an additional SP'er. I wouldn't mind Marcum to throw in the rotation.
    Well.. any changes now will have to come with a complimentary move from a financial POV. Jordan Bastian at MLB tweeted the Indians have used all their financial flexibility for this off season with the Myers' signing..

  7. #322
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    9,299
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Well.. any changes now will have to come with a complimentary move from a financial POV. Jordan Bastian at MLB tweeted the Indians have used all their financial flexibility for this off season with the Myers' signing..
    I saw that tweet too but it said that they have used the VAST amount of their financial flexibility after the Myers signing becomes complete. Apperantly that was CA's exact word too is vast. Take that for whats it worth but I have seen multiple outlets saying that they could possibly go over their threshold this offseason if need be but not by much.

    CAN MY DREAMS BECOME MY REALITY?

  8. #323
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    9,299
    vCash
    1500
    The Yankees have claimed Russ Canzler off of waivers from the Indians, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports (on Twitter). This marks the third time this winter that the first baseman/designated hitter has been claimed. The Blue Jays claimed him on December 21st before Cleveland claimed him back on January 2nd.

    Canzler will provide the Yankees with another right-handed bat, assuming he remains on New York's roster. The 26-year-old appeared in 26 games for the Indians this past season. He posted a .269/.299/.398 batting line in 97 MLB plate appearances while playing first base and left field. He spent most of the season at Triple-A, where he posted a .265/.328/.487 batting line with 22 home runs and 36 doubles in 539 plate appearances.
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#XzG6TsRUSee47vBP.99

    And there goes Russ once again. Bastian tweeted earlier that right now the plan is to go into ST with a committee at DH and they still could possibly bring back Hafner.

    I guess Santana could DH while Marson catches, ACab can DH when Aviles plays the field or any infielder for that matter when Aviles plays the field.

    Brantley
    Kip
    ACab
    Swish
    Santana
    Reynolds
    Chiz
    Stubbs
    Aviles

    Depth - Zeke, Marson, McDade, McGuiness

    Masty
    Ubs
    Myers
    McAlister
    Bauer/Carrasco/Kluber/Huff

    Albers
    Hagadone
    Barnes/Huff
    Shaw
    Smith
    Pestano
    CP

    I guess thats the 25 right now they are looking at.

    CAN MY DREAMS BECOME MY REALITY?

  9. #324
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ollantaytambo
    Posts
    11,882
    vCash
    1500
    I think Hafner looks to be the most viable DH option at this point. Unless they want to grab a position player to fill in.

  10. #325
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    5,721
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    I think Hafner looks to be the most viable DH option at this point. Unless they want to grab a position player to fill in.
    It's going to end up being rotated starters who need a break from the field. If Hafner is cheap and willing to be a sort of backup roll, it'd be nice to have him as the filler when all the position players are out there. He doesn't 20 home run power anymore, but he can still get on base.

  11. #326
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ollantaytambo
    Posts
    11,882
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTuzSea View Post
    It's going to end up being rotated starters who need a break from the field. If Hafner is cheap and willing to be a sort of backup roll, it'd be nice to have him as the filler when all the position players are out there. He doesn't 20 home run power anymore, but he can still get on base.
    He played a little more than a 1/3 of the season last year and hit 12 bombs. At the cheap he might be worth the risk. We've already paid him upon release, so 2-3 mill is more than enough.

    Maybe play him 3 to 4 games a week. If we make the playoffs and he's healthy play him more.

  12. #327
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    5,721
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    He played a little more than a 1/3 of the season last year and hit 12 bombs. At the cheap he might be worth the risk. We've already paid him upon release, so 2-3 mill is more than enough.

    Maybe play him 3 to 4 games a week. If we make the playoffs and he's healthy play him more.
    I like it. And yeah, I totally forgot he only played ~60 games.

  13. #328
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Steubenville/Alliance, Ohio
    Posts
    6,735
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#XzG6TsRUSee47vBP.99

    And there goes Russ once again. Bastian tweeted earlier that right now the plan is to go into ST with a committee at DH and they still could possibly bring back Hafner.

    I guess Santana could DH while Marson catches, ACab can DH when Aviles plays the field or any infielder for that matter when Aviles plays the field.

    Brantley
    Kip
    ACab
    Swish
    Santana
    Reynolds
    Chiz
    Stubbs
    Aviles

    Depth - Zeke, Marson, McDade, McGuiness

    Masty
    Ubs
    Myers
    McAlister
    Bauer/Carrasco/Kluber/Huff

    Albers
    Hagadone
    Barnes/Huff
    Shaw
    Smith
    Pestano
    CP

    I guess thats the 25 right now they are looking at.
    Pretty big upgrade over last seasons line up and should offer a lot more consistency. I think Stubbs will be the wild card for this lineup. We all know he is going to steal around 30 some bases and strike out a lot but if he proves 2012 was an off year and plays like he did in 2010 and 2011 then the Indians will have a solid bottom of the order hitter. You gotta like the power/speed combo he brings to the table.


    I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

  14. #329
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,342
    vCash
    1500
    So...as we sit, we have
    C - Santana
    1B - Reynolds
    2B - Kipnis
    3B - Chisenhall
    SS - Cabrera
    LF - Brantley
    CF - Stubbs
    RF - Swisher
    Bench/DH options - Marson, Aviles, McGuiness, McDade, Carrera, Gomes

    As a fan, I am pretty happy with the line-up...but would be much happier if there was another addition of a bat that would either be the primary DH or a versatile player (with value) that would allow resting of starters to allow them to DH here and there. It would be hard to imagine the front office being ok with going into spring training with the current options at DH considering their aggressiveness this offseason...they have a team that, if things align (health, players returning to form, youngsters continuing to develop, etc...) could compete not only for the wild card, but could push the Tigers for the division.

  15. #330
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,492
    vCash
    1500
    Bigalow80: "....Problem is, who is the other bat..."
    Internal options include Jared Goedert, Cord Phelps, Mike McDade, Chris McGuiness and Tim Fedroff.. not a very promising group as a whole. It would be surprising if any of these five guys actually make the twenty five man roster...and even more unlikely that at least two are DFA'd.

    Next is what I refer as the land of diminishing returns, or FA's.. No one works unless you're considering the two cuban defectors, Alvarez and Diaz or giving Manny Ramirez a one year, non-guaranteed major league minimum contract.. If nothing else, w/ Manny, he could retire as an Indian?..

    Last are trades. One player that may be part of a simple trade or be involved in a much more complex trade could be Matt Adams of the St Louis Cardinals. He's a bat that balances the lineup, can play 1B, has hit for both power and average in the minors and is stuck behind two younger players in St Louis.. The simple trade can be someone like Mike Aviles for him..or a bigger trade could include Asdrubal.. IDK at this point..

    Seattle is also a pretty good spot for the Indians to go shopping for some help.. The Mariners always seem to give the Indians what they want.. for not too much!!..

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •