Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Opening Day Roster

Rotation
    4/5 of the starting rotation are set...Masterson, Jimenez, Myers, and McAllister are 1-4 starters. The #5 spot is down to Kazmir, Carrasco, Matsuzaka, Kluber, Huff, and Bauer (doubtful).

Pen
    Chris Perez (definite)
    Vinnie Pestano (definite)
    Joe Smith (definite)
    Matt Albers (out of options...so probably definite)
    Nick Hagadone (need at least one lefty...so he is probably assured of a spot)
    David Huff (out of options, could be the long man out of the pen to open the season)
    Frank Herrmann (likely out for an extended period of time...not an option)
    Rich Hill (NRI...would have to clear a 40 man roster spot to put him on the ML roster)
    Bryan Shaw (has remaining options...battling for final spot)
    Scott Barnes (has remaining options...battling for the final spot...also an option for a lefty)
    Cody Allen (has remaining options...battling for the final spot)
    If I were a betting man, I would say Shaw would win the final spot with Allen and Barnes going to Columbus to start the season.

Starting Line-up
    C - Santana
    1B - Swisher
    2B - Kipnis
    3B - Chisenhall
    SS - Cabrera
    LF - Brantley
    CF - Bourn
    RF - Stubbs
    DH - Reynolds

Bench
    IF/OF - Aviles
    IF/OF - Raburn (nearing a lock with his production this spring)

I am a little curious about the last few spots.
    Back-up Catcher
    The back-up catcher spot SHOULD go to Yan Gomes, but will probably go to Lou Marson simply because Gomes doesn't have that much experience at catcher (though he was good enough to log 9 games behind the plate for the Blue Jays last year). I see Francona giving the backup catcher spot to Marson for 3 reasons...1, Gomes doesn't have the experience that Marson does...2, Gomes has 2 option years remaining...and 3, they want Gomes to get everyday ABs in C-Bus. I don't agree with this rationale as Gomes will be 26 during the season...time to see what he has. We have seen Marson...solid defensive catcher that provides you with ZERO offensively.

Back-up 1B/DH
    Jason Giambi...a veteran presence, I get that. However, he is having a terrible spring thus far and hasn't hit above .260 since 2005. The other candidate that I feel they want to see make the OD roster is Chris McGuiness, who is also having a terrible spring (.136 in 22 ABs with 0 RBI and 0 extra base hits). They want to see him make the OD roster as...if he doesn't stay on the ML roster, he goes back to Texas via Rule 5 draft rules. Mike McDade, who came over with Mike Aviles from Toronto has done nothing to lose the backup 1B/DH position...other than being young and having options remaining.

4th OF
    Will they use Raburn (or Aviles for that matter) in these spots? This is an intriguing roster spot. They have Swisher that can play in the OF if needed, the 3 starters, as well as both Raburn (and potentially Aviles). If they were to use either Swisher or Raburn in the OF when Brantley, Stubbs, or Bourn need a day off, do they need to keep another OF? Ezekiel Carrera has struggled again this spring, but he is out of options...so, if he doesn't make the OD roster, he is more than likely gone (though, I don't see it as a great loss). Also in consideration is NRI Ben Francisco, who is having a solid Spring.

Thoughts???
    Last edited by browniebuck; 03-10-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: forgot Rich Hill and Francisco

vCash
    bbuck, good analysis. I know it is not going to happen but Giambi doesn't deserve to make the roster. I get the idea behind it, but sometimes you need to call an end to a career and that's what the indians need to tell him. make him a coach. Groom him to take over Alomar's position when he leaves next year to be a manager. The indians have gone all in this summer, there is no reason to play the same games they have for years. Also, as long as kazmir keeps pitching the way he has, i believe he makes the #5 only b/c he is a left hander. the indians desperately need left handed starting pitching to break up those sinker ballers, which is part of the reason why they are getting killed all the time. It's the same pitcher, day in, day out. as much as i did not like the raburn signing, he has played his way onto this roster as the utility guy. it's nice flexibility to have 2 guys off the bench that can play just about anywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    Bench
    IF/OF - Aviles
    IF/OF - Raburn (nearing a lock with his production this spring)
    I think raburn is a lock because he can play anywhere on the field. Def not because of his production during spring. I think everyone knows by now Rayburn is a much better spring training hitter then a regular season hitter. Just like alot of players are.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

vCash
    scratch Ben Francisco from the list of Opening Day Roster considerations...he was released today by the Tribe and has since signed with the Yankees.

vCash
    The Tribe also has selected the contract of Rich Hill and placed Blake Wood on the 60 day DL. I assume that them selecting his contract means that he gets a spot on the OD roster?

vCash
    Mike McDade optioned to Columbus...all he has done this spring is hit .400 with 10 RBI, 12 hits and 3 XBH. Again...I get the idea behind keeping Giambi, but he has hit a whopping .174 so far this Spring with 3 RBI, one HR, and 4 total hits in 23 ABs. The ONLY positive here is that McDade had options left, so he stays in the system.

Yan Gomes continues to hit the ball...currently at .385 with 6 RBI and 6 XBH this spring. Marson with a total of 3 singles this spring. I read on mlbtraderumors.com that the Angels are looking for a backup Catcher...not sure that they would want Marson, but I would be willing to listen to offers.

Ezequiel Carrera also continues to struggle...still hovering around the Mendoza line this spring with 6 hits...one of them being a HR (with his speed, you would think that a single here or there would turn into a double), but putting up solid SB #s. If he struggles to get anything going in the spring with consistent ABs (against less than stellar pitching), what is he going to do as the 4th OF with inconsistent playing time and ABs? IMO, he wouldn't even be the 4th OF...if someone got hurt, Swisher goes back into the OF (having 3 CF as your starting OF makes them versatile...putting Swisher in RF and Stubbs moving into whichever spot needed if someone were to get hurt) with Reynolds going to 1B...so, does it really make sense to keep Carrera?

Matt Albers is out of Minor League options...and all he has done this spring is pitch to a 10.80 ERA (inflated due to giving up 4 ER in first appearance). His last 3 appearances have been solid, giving up one ER while allowing 3 hits (all in same game) while striking out 3 and walking zero. At this point, with the arms available and the options remaining for other guys, I see him making the OD roster, but if he struggles, he will be DFA rather quickly in favor of one of the other guys. Read @TonyIBI on Twitter that Perez, Pestano, Smith, Hill, and Allen are set in the pen....likely leaves 2-3 spots open for Hagadone, Barnes, Shaw, Albers, Huff, and Capps...Hagadone hasn't allowed a run, Shaw has only given up one ER, while Huff, Barnes, and Capps have been kind of ehhhhhh. That said, minor league options will play a role in these decisions as Capps, Huff, and Albers would likely be lost if they do not make the OD roster while Shaw, Barnes, and Hagadone all have options remaining.

vCash
    I'm almost certain that Kazmir will hold the 5th rotation spot. He's looked very impressive thus far, he could be our Ryan Vogelsong. As for the bench, I see Marson, Giambi, Aviles and Raburn making it out of camp, but I believe it will fluctuate because they aren't much better than their options at AAA.

In regards to Marson, he's never going to be a solid hitter. Gomes seems interesting, but I think he'll be cooped at AAA for the time being.

I would like to see Huff and Albers get the final two spots in the bullpen and then basically have a two month audition. After which the Tribe could see if their options at AAA are any better, while still letting the younger guys get regular innings. We took the similar approach with Dan Wheeler last year.
    Last edited by Davy; 03-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.

vCash
    Also, I'd really rather see Chris McGuiness make the big league team than Giambi, who hasn't show anything over the past two years. Even though McGuiness has struggled, his slightly less production is not enough to warrant losing him to Texas.

vCash
    I would prefer the Tribe finding a way to work a deal with Texas rather than having McGuiness on the Major League roster. If they can work a trade, they can allow him to go to Columbus and get regular ABs in order to get things figured out at the plate. If they have him on the OD roster, he will be lucky to get 5 ABs per week, which won't help him.

Your idea with taking the same approach that we took last year with Wheeler would work....last year. The FO has shown that they are ready for a change...which means a change in strategy from years past. In years past, we kept the aging vet to see if they were capable of bringing us back a prospect if they had anything left in the tank. Now, we have to make our 25 man roster the best we can in order to start the year off strong and remain relevant throughout the season. I get not wanting to lose Huff and Albers as they have shown in the past that they can be somewhat effective, but we need the most effective players that we have on the 25 man roster.

vCash
    I understand your point with McGuiness. The production we have seen over Giambi over the past few years make me apprehensive to having a sieve such as himself on the bench. And it is hard for the average fan to quantify the "veteran presence" of a player such as Giambi, if there even is such a thing.

I see it as counterproductive to letting go of Huff and Albers for a marginal gain in the back of the pen. Unless the FO brass really sees something out of guy like Hagadone and Shaw, it doesn't make much sense. I really see most of the back of the pen guys are equally average, except for Hagadone. He really showed promise last year before he injured his own chances.

Also, just because something did not work last year (Wheeler) doesn't make the concept toxic or to be thrown out the window. I'm all for giving guys extended opportunities of real game situations to show that they are viable for this team instead of trusting spring stats and throwing young guys into the fire while losing effective relievers. You must trust the model and ignore the results

vCash
    Dice-K Matsuzaka won't be on the Opening Day roster, but plans to stick with the Tribe...not a bad decision as there are always opportunities for pitchers to make it into the rotation throughout the season.

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x89...Indians-roster

vCash
    Indians have optioned Scott Barnes, Trevor Bauer, and Corey Kluber to minors. Also reassigned Giovanni Soto to minors

— Tony Lastoria (@TonyIBI) March 21, 2013

vCash
    I hope Bauer works on his stuff and joins the team in July.

vCash
    I just hope that we have the luxury of keeping him in the minors until July...if that is the case, this team is in GREAT shape for a push for the postseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    I just hope that we have the luxury of keeping him in the minors until July...if that is the case, this team is in GREAT shape for a push for the postseason.
    Can I have a full glass of the Koolaid you're drinking?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast