Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    According to the Blue Jays fans in the Farrell thread he's going to sign to Toronto and they will trade him straight up for mike trout

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Never mind, we have around $1.5M. I thought it would be less but Lin was signed before this period. Hopefully that's more than the Dodgers and Rangers.
    The Rangers have most of their budget left, and have had multiple meetings with him so far. I hope we take the risk and grab him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    The Rangers have most of their budget left, and have had multiple meetings with him so far. I hope we take the risk and grab him
    I have a feeling he'll go to Texas. It will be interesting to see what he chooses: Will he go to LA like many Japanese players before him, make a name for himself in Baltimore, follow Darvish's footsteps in TX, or make Dice K look like a little ***** in Boston?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Young2Kinsler View Post
    one thing to keep in mind is comfort, the LA area has the largest Japanese population in the country.

vCash
    Finally, there is this. Japanese high school righthander Shohei Otani will pursue a career in the majors and has asked Japanese teams not to draft him.

The Red Sox and Dodgers are among the teams that have scouted the 18-year-old, whose fastball reaches 100-mph.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...s/extra_bases/

vCash
    Speier is the only one that would ask Ben about this

@alexspeier
    Cherington confirms Sox met w/Otani. Says only, 'He's a respected young pitching prospect in Japan.

vCash
    Speier is the only one who seems to pay major attention to prospects. Cafardo barely ever mentions the farm system.

This would be a major win for our farm system. Hopefully we can reel him in.

vCash
    Got a feeling it's us and Texas. I hope we can bring him in. I'd like to see us take a more Texas-like approach to pitching and the recruitment of arms

vCash
    Japanese pitching prospect Shohei Otani intends to pursue a career in MLB, and a number of teams are interested in the hard-throwing right-hander. The Red Sox and Rangers “have done the most work in this arena,” according to Olney.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...medium=twitter

vCash
    Please be the redsox ray:

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington confirmed Tuesday that the club has met with Japanese right-hander Shohei Otani.
    Otani, 18, announced this weekend that he intends to sign with a major league team this offseason. The Red Sox, Dodgers and Rangers have all met with the hard-throwing youngster and he's expected to sign with one of them. While interested teams will not have to submit a posting fee, he will be subject to the $2.9 million international spending allotment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    Oh no! Not another Japanese "phenom..."
    I guess they the (Red Sox) didn't learn their lesson when they signed Dick K a few years ago, and how/has that worked out? Not that good.
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    I guess they the (Red Sox) didn't learn their lesson when they signed Dick K a few years ago, and how/has that worked out? Not that good.
    Completely different types of pitchers, also take innings, age and other types of deals. Body type, arm angle, and other things also can be different. Tazawa is also a completely different pitcher than Matsuzaka.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Jim Callis said if he was draft eligible he could go 1st overall. This guy is going to be a huge signing for whatever team gets him, maybe even bigger than Soler/Puig.

vCash
    I am all for going after international guys with high upside, just because Matsuzaka wasn't the greatest experiment doesn't mean you stop going after other international guys. That would be great if we could add him to our system.

vCash
    Why wouldn't he want to go to Texas with Yu in the mix? It'll probably come down to us, Dodgers and the Rangers. I'd say our chances are less than 30% to get him...but it would be indeed a huge signing.
    It would be a much different situation cpmpare to the other guys coming over from Japan/Asia. He's still young and gets the chance to learn the rythm right away (in the lower minors).

Our pitching in the farm would be looking nasty with him on board. Barnes, Rubby, Webster, Otani, Workman, Ranaudo...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast