Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    any updates???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    Right there with you, but from what I've read, he has stronger links to the Rangers and if they really want him they have the ability to give him more $.
    2.9M spending limit for international signing. The Sox spent $2M recently on yet another freaking SS.

vCash
    mlbtr

OCTOBER 19TH: Otani is set to decide between playing in MLB and staying in Japan on Monday, according to a report from Sanspo (Japanese link) passed along by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker (via Twitter).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    2.9M spending limit for international signing. The Sox spent $2M recently on yet another freaking SS.
    That $2M was before the deadline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    That SS was signed before the new spending limits went into place, so it doesn't count against the cap.

However, we did spend a decent chunk of it already on a few players. So have the Rangers and Dodgers, although they have spent less than us so far as I can tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    really?

Also...

"fringe-average contact and below-average power."

Sounds familiar?

vCash
    This. We've spent $1.36M on Almonte, Rijo and Jimenez. That means we can offer $1.54M.

vCash
    Hopefully that's enough but I have to assume he's Texas bound. Fingers crossed though for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    Well one thing about that is you cannot teach velocity. You have it or you don't. I'd love to get a shot at someone who can develop. This is the type of signing I look forward to regardless of time frame to develop. Trade for a rebound candidate like Masterson and build slowly. Don't overspend and be stuck with another Drew, Lackey etcetera.
    sort of, the younger a guy is the more likely it is that you can train him to throw harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    I'm still annoyed we didn't go hard after Chapman and Solar. Id still like to get Jose Mujica. This Japanese kid def seems worth a shot as well.
    you should be annoyed you didn't get puig either, he seems like the real deal, though there is a guy named Jose Abreu who plays in cuba and is a monster 1b,
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar_RA View Post
    Hopefully that's enough but I have to assume he's Texas bound. Fingers crossed though for sure.
    why the dodgers have more money to spend than the rangers, and have had a better track record with Japanese players.

vCash

Sox Interested in Japanese Fireballer Shohei Otani

TOKYO -- Japanese high school pitcher Shohei Otani says he will pursue a career in Major League Baseball instead of turning professional in Japan.

Otani, a 6-foot-4 right-hander who has thrown a fastball between 99 and 100 mph, has been scouted by several major league teams including the Los Angeles Dodgers and Boston Red Sox.

The 18-year-old Otani said "I think I will start in the minor leagues but I want to challenge in the majors. It's been my dream since entering high school."

Otani was expected to go in the first round of Thursday's amateur draft in Japan.

If he signs with a major league team, Otani would become the first potential top draft pick to make the direct jump from a Japanese high school to the U.S.

vCash
    Get it done Ben.

vCash
    If he has a gyro ball I'd stay the **** away.

Wallpaper made by me.

vCash
    Japanese pitching prospect Shohei Otani announced that he will pursue a career in MLB rather than turn professional in Japan, according to the Associated Press. The Red Sox, Rangers, and Dodgers have all sent representatives to Japan to meet with Otani recently and the Orioles are also said to have interest in the right-hander.

"I think I will start in the minor leagues but I want to challenge in the majors. It's been my dream since entering high school," said the 18-year-old.

Otani, who stands at 6'4" and weighs 190 pounds, has a strong fastball that has been clocked in the 99-100 mph range. If Otani signs with a major league club, he'll be the first potential top NPB draft pick to make the direct jump from high school in Japan to the U.S.

As a tall right-hander, many are quick to compare Otani to fellow Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish. Otani boasts a similarly live arm with a little bit more velocity and a lot less polish than Darvish showed in high school, writes Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker. In terms of build, Otani is slightly shorter than the 26-year-old hurler but is heavier than Darvish was at 18.
    He's coming over, I'd like to land him.

vCash
    He'll go to whatever organization he likes best. The difference between money teams offer will be minimal.

vCash
    He'll go to whatever organization he likes best. The difference between money teams offer will be minimal.
    Personally, I think he'll sign with the Dodgers.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast