Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Reports: Sox meet japanese phenom Otani

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...e-phenom-otani

A major league source confirmed multiple reports out of Japan that the Red Sox (who were represented by international scouting director Eddie Romero and Pacific Rim coordinator Jon Deeble) met with Japanese high school phenom Shohei Otani on Thursday. Otani has met with all 12 teams in the NPB and with at least a few major league teams while trying to decide whether to pursue pro ball in Japan or the US. The 18-year-old right-hander has been clocked at 100 mph (in this video, where the crowd erupts when he hits 159 kmph and then 160 kmph).

The Dodgers and Rangers have also met with Otani, according to multiple reports.

vCash
    Is he a starter or a reliever?

vCash
    I doubt they let him leave. Tazawa set a precedent and no-one has followed, because the player get a 3 year banned if they return to Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Is he a starter or a reliever?
    Starter

vCash
    He's a high school kid, if they sign him they will have him start like they do with every pitching prospect If he's a phenom in Japan I would think he is a starter though. People will complain because he's Japanese (people didn't want to sign Kuroda because he's Japanese), but they should sign as many young high potential arms as they can. NPB will probably be pissed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    He's a high school kid, if they sign him they will have him start like they do with every pitching prospect If he's a phenom in Japan I would think he is a starter though. People will complain because he's Japanese (people didn't want to sign Kuroda because he's Japanese), but they should sign as many young high potential arms as they can. NPB will probably be pissed.
    I would love to sign as many impact arms as can be signed in any realm. We have some international cap left. So I would love it to see another young arm in the system. The more the better.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Oh no! Not another Japanese "phenom..."
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

PSD's Zdeno Chara

PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010

Yeti FTW

vCash
    This kid is 18, throws 99-100 mph, is 6'4 and weighs 190 lbs. I want him.

vCash
    Anyone know how much money we have left to sign international players?

vCash
    Never mind, we have around $1.5M. I thought it would be less but Lin was signed before this period. Hopefully that's more than the Dodgers and Rangers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Never mind, we have around $1.5M. I thought it would be less but Lin was signed before this period. Hopefully that's more than the Dodgers and Rangers.
    We could also go a certain % over that limit without being penalized. Another thing is that we are allowed certain number of $20K (don't know the exact number, could be $20-40-60) contracts that don't count towards our budget.

vCash
    Yeah, we already signed a couple players for over a million total http://soxprospects.com/international.htm

vCash
    I think Tazawa got a little under $2 million and was older. But I think Rangers have more $ available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP83 View Post
    I think Tazawa got a little under $2 million and was older. But I think Rangers have more $ available.
    He's a legit 97-100 mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72yYGZygE9s
    Here's to feeling good all the time.

vCash
    Damn! An american sized asian! Lock him up

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast