Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,934
    vCash
    1500

    Reports: Sox meet japanese phenom Otani

    http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/th...e-phenom-otani

    A major league source confirmed multiple reports out of Japan that the Red Sox (who were represented by international scouting director Eddie Romero and Pacific Rim coordinator Jon Deeble) met with Japanese high school phenom Shohei Otani on Thursday. Otani has met with all 12 teams in the NPB and with at least a few major league teams while trying to decide whether to pursue pro ball in Japan or the US. The 18-year-old right-hander has been clocked at 100 mph (in this video, where the crowd erupts when he hits 159 kmph and then 160 kmph).

    The Dodgers and Rangers have also met with Otani, according to multiple reports.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,887
    vCash
    1500
    Is he a starter or a reliever?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,811
    vCash
    1500
    I doubt they let him leave. Tazawa set a precedent and no-one has followed, because the player get a 3 year banned if they return to Japan.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,823
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AI4LIFE View Post
    Is he a starter or a reliever?
    Starter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34,817
    vCash
    1500
    He's a high school kid, if they sign him they will have him start like they do with every pitching prospect If he's a phenom in Japan I would think he is a starter though. People will complain because he's Japanese (people didn't want to sign Kuroda because he's Japanese), but they should sign as many young high potential arms as they can. NPB will probably be pissed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12,606
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    He's a high school kid, if they sign him they will have him start like they do with every pitching prospect If he's a phenom in Japan I would think he is a starter though. People will complain because he's Japanese (people didn't want to sign Kuroda because he's Japanese), but they should sign as many young high potential arms as they can. NPB will probably be pissed.
    I would love to sign as many impact arms as can be signed in any realm. We have some international cap left. So I would love it to see another young arm in the system. The more the better.

    Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Westborough, Massachusetts
    Posts
    19,588
    vCash
    8300
    Oh no! Not another Japanese "phenom..."
    Feeling left out in society? Are you that kid? The Bruins forum can help you.

    PSD's Zdeno Chara

    PSD Bruins Hall of Fame Class of 2010



    Yeti FTW

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a tiny cottage in the woods
    Posts
    7,222
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    Oh no! Not another Japanese "phenom..."
    I guess they the (Red Sox) didn't learn their lesson when they signed Dick K a few years ago, and how/has that worked out? Not that good.
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12,606
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    I guess they the (Red Sox) didn't learn their lesson when they signed Dick K a few years ago, and how/has that worked out? Not that good.
    Completely different types of pitchers, also take innings, age and other types of deals. Body type, arm angle, and other things also can be different. Tazawa is also a completely different pitcher than Matsuzaka.

    Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a tiny cottage in the woods
    Posts
    7,222
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    Completely different types of pitchers, also take innings, age and other types of deals. Body type, arm angle, and other things also can be different. Tazawa is also a completely different pitcher than Matsuzaka.
    I have to see him pitch in the league before I can say he's worth the money.
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,971
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    Oh no! Not another Japanese "phenom..."
    Him being Japanese doesn't mean anything. Him being Japanese isn't going to help or hinder him in anyway

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,887
    vCash
    1500
    This kid is 18, throws 99-100 mph, is 6'4 and weighs 190 lbs. I want him.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34,817
    vCash
    1500
    Anyone know how much money we have left to sign international players?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34,817
    vCash
    1500
    Never mind, we have around $1.5M. I thought it would be less but Lin was signed before this period. Hopefully that's more than the Dodgers and Rangers.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    18,887
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Never mind, we have around $1.5M. I thought it would be less but Lin was signed before this period. Hopefully that's more than the Dodgers and Rangers.
    We could also go a certain % over that limit without being penalized. Another thing is that we are allowed certain number of $20K (don't know the exact number, could be $20-40-60) contracts that don't count towards our budget.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •