Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,997
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lelelele boss49 View Post
    off topic:
    we are well rounded so the only team that scares me is another well rounded team...........someone with enough defense to slow us down and enough offense to score regardless....obviously the Texans fit the bill,, maybe the Steelers but not really
    Atlanta seems to be the team that's "getting all the bounces" so far this year. The team itself doesn't scare me, but the luck factor may come in if the game is close.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,243
    vCash
    1500
    I definitely think the secondary is still a question mark for the team. The front 7 is so damn good that the secondary benefits from it. I think we need to re-sign Goldson also, I just like his all out, aggressive approach. Tarell Brown on the other hand still scares me for some reason.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    374
    vCash
    1500
    Our weak spot is a third pass rusher to help out Aldon/Brooks imo.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    22,722
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    He's below average in coverage and he doesn't wrap up when he tackles. He causes turnovers and he is a good player, but I don't agree that he is one of the best safeties in the league. He's a good safety, not a great safety. He is seeking great safety money. Personally, I think Donte Whitner (grossly underrated by our fan base and others) is the best safety on the team and makes far less than Goldson. Whitner is a tackling machine and solid in coverage too. He doesn't cause as many turnovers, but he is much more important than others suggest.
    Me and Ninerhomer have talked about Goldson's tackling. He doesn't wrap up, but there is a reason. He's very thin. He's 6'2 200 pounds. He tackles TE's a lot and wide receivers. He doesn't (at least this year) miss a lot of tackles by any means. And he's below average in coverage? That is so false. I suppose you think Ed Reed is good in coverage too right?

    Donte Whitner doesn't do half the stuff Goldson does. I think we have the best combination of safeties in the game. I would go out and say I think Goldson is a top 5 FS in the NFL as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    22,722
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowman53 View Post
    Our weak spot is a third pass rusher to help out Aldon/Brooks imo.
    I think Justin Smith and RayMac do just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,238
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Coverage unit hasn't looked up to par thus far. Other than that, I think our weakest unit is the secondary...and they are an above average to good unit, which says a lot about how good this team is. I don't agree with those who criticize our pass rush. We aren't getting a ton of sacks, but we rarely rush more than 4 and still get a lot of QBs scrambling around and running outside of the pocket.
    What makes you think that? They are 2nd in the NFL in passing yards per game and have played 3 teams with above average to great passing games. They have only given up 1 td to a WR so far this year.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,997
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Me and Ninerhomer have talked about Goldson's tackling. He doesn't wrap up, but there is a reason. He's very thin. He's 6'2 200 pounds. He tackles TE's a lot and wide receivers. He doesn't (at least this year) miss a lot of tackles by any means. And he's below average in coverage? That is so false. I suppose you think Ed Reed is good in coverage too right?

    Donte Whitner doesn't do half the stuff Goldson does. I think we have the best combination of safeties in the game. I would go out and say I think Goldson is a top 5 FS in the NFL as well.
    I think Goldson is better than he was last season, at least in the second half. I thought he started strong, but kind of tapered off. Hopefully he keeps up what he's been doing so far. That play deep vs the Jets was one hell of a play. It's tough for a safety to pick up a WR, turn around, locate the ball, then have the hand/eye coordination to reach up and swat the ball away. I thought he showed several good things on that play, not the least of which is more speed that I really gave him credit for.

    If he keeps the level of play up where it's been this season...I have no gripe with them giving him a substantial contract.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The SCO
    Posts
    21,189
    vCash
    1500

    What would you say the 49ers weak spot is?

    There are people on this forum who always say we can find alternatives to Goldson. Just curious, who are the alternatives? Will they be free agents or through the draft? I personally don't see any viable alternatives.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    22,722
    vCash
    1500
    Top 5 FS

    1-Reed
    2-Weddle
    3-Bethea
    4-Thomas
    5-Goldson
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    22,722
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ESaady View Post
    There are people on this forum who always say we can find alternatives to Goldson. Just curious, who are the alternatives? Will they be free agents or through the draft? I personally don't see any viable alternatives.
    Goldson fits in this defense better than a lot of other safeties would. He is beyond physical, fast, and a ball hawk. He is with out a doubt the most physical FS in the NFL, outside maybe Ryan Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Morgan Hill, Ca.
    Posts
    779
    vCash
    1500
    Kick coverage. Team is missing Blake Costanzo. They signed Rock Cartright to fill that void but he didn't even make the team out of traning camp.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    31,950
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DownSouth49er View Post
    I definitely think the secondary is still a question mark for the team. The front 7 is so damn good that the secondary benefits from it. I think we need to re-sign Goldson also, I just like his all out, aggressive approach. Tarell Brown on the other hand still scares me for some reason.
    Last year I would have agreed with you on the secondary. But the 49ers rank 2nd in pass yards given up despite playing the Packers and Lions, and to a certain extent the Bills. Fitzpatrick had been leading the NFL in TD's going into that game. The 49ers pass rush has not been good, but the secondary has still done very well.

    Tarell Brown may be the most underrated player on the defense. It's between him and Ray McDonald. Brown had a rough start last year but was lights out his last 9 games. I worry more about Rogers than Brown.

    Also, Chris Culliver is averaging just one reception given up every 29 snaps. That's outstanding.


    Slap Hands!

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    15,806
    vCash
    1500
    I'm interested to see how Brown and Culliver do when Rogers is gone. The 3 are a solid group, but can those two be solid 1 + 2 by themselves? My concerns are plans for long term. There's still the question of Goldson here/not here next year, how long Whitner has left, how long is Rogers going to be here, etc. I'd say for this year and next we're solid, I just hope we get the backup pieces in place soon.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    31,950
    vCash
    1500
    ^14 draft picks next year is a good start for that. And Baalke has a good history drafting defensive guys (Culliver, Bowman).


    Slap Hands!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    15,806
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    ^14 draft picks next year is a good start for that. And Baalke has a good history drafting defensive guys (Culliver, Bowman).
    Yep, as long as it continues.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •