Don't know how much of a prospect he still is with the disappointing seasons, but Juan Urbina was called from our "minors" and he'll pitch out of the pen. I hope I can see him.
The press is already saying that he's Ugueth's son every single time, lol.
How has Valdespin looked(if you've seen him)
...and on the shocker news of the day, Ceciliani was removed from the game after 2 at bats.
Hope its nothing big but that kid can't stay healthy for the life of him.
Hamstring injuries are a ***** and they linger like crazy. I finally hurt mine about a month ago and they keep barking.
His off-season conditioning is probably very poor.
http://metsminorleagueblog.com/wilme...you-surprised/Lets take a look at notable Mets’ farmhands down in the Caribbean winter leagues.
In general, at this time of year, these teams carry enormous rosters while waiting for more established big leaguers to turn up in November. These teams are not built around development, but winning thus they will keep the young guys on a very short leash. If a player does not produce, he will be sent home.
- In his first nine games for the Bravos de Margarita, 3B Wilmer Flores is hitting .324/.425/.471 for the Bravos de Margarita in the Venezuelan Winter League. He has three extra-base knocks, five walks and three whiffs. That’s all good stuff, but he’s also committed three errors, all at third base, in his nine games.
- Jordany Valdespin has played two games at second base and four in rightfield for the Tigres del Licey in the Domincan Winter League while hitting .400/.500/.750 with a double, two homers, four walks and two strikeouts in his six games so far.
Low Playing Time Position Guys in the DWL
The following guys are on rosters, but are not playing very much at all.
- Juan Lagares – Aguilas Cibaenas – 0-for-1
- Jefry Marte - Toros del Este - 0-for-1
- Francisco Pena - Aguilas Cibaenas – 3-for-11, 2 HR, 1 SB (!)
- Aderlin Rodriguez – Gigantes del Cibao - 0-for-1
The Mets have relatively few pitchers in the Caribbean leagues at the moment.
- Gonzalez Germen - Toros del Este - DWL – did not retire a batter while giving up a run on three hits in his only appearance.
- Elvin Ramirez - Gigantes del Cibao – DWL – gave up a run on two hits in his only inning of work.
- Armando Rodriguez – Leones del Escogido - DWL has 1.2 scoreless innings of relief work to his credit.
http://metsminorleagueblog.com/Yesterday, I pointed out that early in the Arizona Fall League season, offensive numbers in the league are down fairly significantly.
- CF Darrell Ceciliani left Monday’s game (a 3-0 Surprise loss) early, in the middle of the fifth inning. Ceciliani missed all but 23 games for his age 21/22 season in St. Lucie this year, mostly with hamstring problems. Ceciliani was hitting .259/.344/.370 with four walks against eight strikeouts in eight games in the AFL.
- While Ceciliani had been playing center the last few days, Cesar Puello shifted over to right. Puello, who is younger, and more powerful, is more likely to produce at a level that would make him valuable on the corner. The 21-year old Puello has hit safely in seven of his eight games in the AFL going .278/.316/.333 with one extra-base hit – a triple – on Friday. Most concerning is that he’s running a 10/0 K/BB ratio. It’s early and all, but that’s an awful sign after a 58/7 K/BB ratio in 66 games in the Florida State League this past season.
- Adam Rubin reports that infielder Danny Muno will join the Surprise team. The infielder who was suspended in-season for a positive drug test and missed the start of the AFL season for “personal reasons.”
- None of the Mets’ pitchers in the league have done much of note.
Intrigued by Francisco Pena. I'm hoping he can pop a few homers and throw out runners often as a back-up in 2014.
Valdespin is beasting so far as well. I think he is trying out that patience now.
I mention how guys like Cano went from walking very little to walking a good amount as he matured, not saying Valdespin will improved that much, but is not out of the realm of possibility to see him walk at around a 7% rate.
I have a feeling he will be playing a big role next year.
No updates.. wtf?
" You seek Yoda!
Everyone sucks thats why. Ceciliani is batting like .200 and Puello isn't doing that much either.
How about Flores?
" You seek Yoda!
Flores is hitting .347/.439/.490 in 49 AB and is 6 for his last 10
Valdespin is hitting, but is not playing as much as Flores, same for Pena.