Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Official NHL player movement tracker during the lockout

Since many of us will want to watch NHL players wherever they are in the world, I thought I'd create a thread to track player movement and eventually the games they are in. The lockout may be over before this really gets rolling but we've already seen some of the biggest names sign on with other leagues and teams. Don't limit yourselves to the stars however. If you have a favourite prospect and want to highlight the fact that he went to junior or the AHL and he is putting up some incredible performances, feel free to post here.

I'll just post about the bigger stars I've heard about so far:

KHL

Ovechkin to Dynamo Moscow

Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk head to KHL

Europe

Spezza, Couture, Nash, Thornton to Switzerland

The Ottawa Senators forward has signed with Rapperswil-Jona for the duration of the NHL lockout, joining fellow Canadians Logan Couture (Geneva-Servette) and Rick Nash and Joe Thornton (HC Davos) in the Swiss A League.
    Swedish Elite League

Has blocked NHLers from joining their league during the lockout.

German Elite League

Christian Ehrhoff is the only signing so far but apparently dozens of calls are coming in from player agents looking for a spot for their players.

Czech League

Jagr, Plekanec

vCash
    Expect Dany Heatley to be in Germany. I wouldn't bet against some Swedish players signing in the Swedish Elite League. I believe they have it like China did for the NBA. No opt out clause.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    Expect Dany Heatley to be in Germany. I wouldn't bet against some Swedish players signing in the Swedish Elite League. I believe they have it like China did for the NBA. No opt out clause.
    In a swift response to the ongoing impasse between NHL owners and the NHLPA to reach a new collective bargaining agreement before the current one expires Sept. 15, the Swedish league will not allow rental players and has mandated that contracts must be signed for at least one year. That would work for the Sedins and others if the entire NHL season is lost, but there is a Jan. 31 transfer date and various caps on imports depending on the European league — anywhere from two to seven players per team and just two per entry in the 12-team SEL. Most importantly for players considering the SEL, without an out-clause to return as soon as there’s a settlement — especially if the Winter Classic on Jan. 1 is the pressure point to reach a new CBA — remaining overseas wouldn’t be viable because they’re under contract to play for their respective NHL teams.

During the last lockout that cancelled the 2004-05 season, the Sedins played for Modo while Henrik Zetterberg, Mike Knuble, Shawn Horcoff and Brendan Morrison were among more than 70 NHL players who skated in the Swedish league. But the majority of those contracts had out-clauses so players could return to the NHL if a settlement had been reached. Players were also met with some initial resentment from taking jobs from established SEL players.
    http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/...761/story.html

vCash
    Evgeni Malkin, Penguins: He and Senators defenseman Sergei Gonchar are joining Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL. Malkin has been recruiting Pittsburgh teammates Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang.

Anze Kopitar, Kings: The native of Slovenia will play center for Mora IK in Sweden’s second division league. The Swedish Elite League is preventing teams from signing NHL refugees that don’t sign full-season contracts.

Ilya Kovalchuk, Devils: New Jersey’s goal-scoring winger joined SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL. In fact, that team named him captain.

Jaromir Jagr, Stars: He agreed to play for HC Kladno of the Czech Extraliga. As luck would have it, Jagr owns that team. He could recruit other NHLers, including Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec.

Jason Spezza, Senators: Ottawa's cornerstone center is off to Switzerland to play for the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers.

Joe Thornton, Sharks: The super-sized San Jose center has committed to play for HC Davos in the Swiss-A league, where he played during the NHL’s previous lockout. That team wooed new Rangers power forward Rick Nash.

Logan Couture, Sharks: Thornton’s San Jose teammate seems destined for Geneve-Servette HC of the Swiss-A league.

Mark Streit, Islanders: The high-scoring defenseman (and Islanders captain) will join SC Bern in the Swiss-A league.

Christian Ehrhoff, Sabres: The puck-rushing defenseman will return to Krefeld, his old team in German Elite League.

Niklas Backstrom, Wild: Minnesota’s No. 1 goaltender will sign with Dynamo Minsk of the KHL. He may be joined by Maple Leafs center Mikhail Grabovski. “I just want to know where I’m going to play this year,” Grabovski told the Toronto Sun.

Nail Yakupov, Oilers: The top pick in the 2012 NHL Draft is staying home to play for Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk of the KHL.

Lubomir Visnovsky, Islanders: He staying home in Slovakia to play for HC Slovan Bratislava, a team that might also land Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak.
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...a4bcf6878.html

Looks like European players are definitely going to have the jump on North American players if/when the season starts. They will be in game shape.

vCash
    Should be interesting to see where a lot of the Wings European's go.

vCash
    Why European Teams Aren’t Excited about the Lockout

When the NHL‘s collective bargaining agreement expired and triggered a lockout, the exodus of players began almost immediately. The KHL is a popular destination for players like Evgeni Malkin, Lubomir Visnovsky and Nikolai Kulemin, but other players like Anze Kopitar, Jason Spezza and Raphael Diaz are seeking out play time in Sweden, Switzerland, Germany and the Czech Republic.

One would assume that these European teams would be thrilled to have NHL-caliber talent join their ranks, even if only temporarily. The money they’ll take in from having even more people go to games to see some of the biggest players in the sport is nothing but good, right?

Wrong.

Szymon Szemberg, who describes himself on his Twitter as the “European record holder in lost night sleeps, listening to or watching Montreal Canadiens games 2AM-5AM Euro time,” tweets about all sorts of international hockey. He was a must follow during the World Championship in May and has recently been tweeting about Olympic qualifiers, KHL games and other hockey news, sometimes in Swedish, mostly in English.

He recently explained that the influx of NHLers seeking temporary employment in Europe has a downside–and a pretty hefty one at that.

“Given the many announcements on Euro signings of locked-out players, there is probably a conception that Euro club GMs, fans enjoy this. As far as most are concerned, it’s not the case. True fans enjoy following the NHL parallel with following their Euro teams,” he said. (This is true–I personally know someone who follows the Boston Bruins from Germany, even though the time difference is brutal.)
    Here’s where it gets worrisome and costly for some European teams.

“Many GMs fear an arms race which they simply can’t afford. 95% of all Euro clubs don’t have a budget for new salaries [or] insurance. Many Euro clubs spend 80% or more of revenue on player salaries. Swiss clubs Kloten [Flyers] & Ambri [-Piotta] spent over 100% of revenue on salaries. Many GMs are under enormous pressure from players, agents, media, fans to sign NHLers and they don’t have any responsibility for finances. So most true fans and responsible hockey people in Europe hope that the conflict will end very soon,” Szemberg said.

When asked how that’s a sustainable business model, Szemberg simply said that it is not and that “many clubs [are] on the verge of bankruptcy.”

In fact, when Mora IK of the Swedish version of the AHL got Kopitar, which may have been in part due to his brother Gaspar campaigning on his behalf, Szemberg said that the team is going to ask local businesses for support. Presumably that means financial support to help ease the burden of taking on a new Stanley Cup champion and the kind of financial compensation he might desire.

Considering the fact that the NHL has canceled medical and dental insurance plans for its players and their families retroactive to Sept. 16, if players do seek to play for teams with unsustainable financial models, things could get very complicated for them. They could be faced with having to buy private insurance or cobbling together some other option because insurance is a necessity.

The NHLPA has offered to step in and cover the cost of premiums, though, for its members. This also happened in the 1994 and 2004 lockouts. The union does advise players to get even more insurance if they go play overseas. Players have to get their own disability insurance too.

Then, of course, there’s the fact that getting IIHF transfer cards to play overseas is reportedly taking a while, just complicating things even more.

All in all, the international play situation is not as sunny as it seems on the surface. Hockey fans and those in the field around the world, not just in North America, are fervently hoping for a quick resolution to the NHL’s labor issues.
    Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2012/0...im5IkvOY06s.99

vCash
    Should be interesting to see where a lot of the Wings European's go.
    Filppula to where else? Finland. How can we honestly have faith in a new deal anytime soon if everyone's jumping ship?
    Last edited by westhockeytown; 09-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westhockeytown View Post
    Filppula to where else? Finnland. How can we honestly have faith in a new deal anytime soon if everyone's jumping ship?
    Was meaning more the Swedish players.. Z, Franzen, Ericsson, Gustafsson, etc.

vCash
    Was meaning more the Swedish players.. Z, Franzen, Ericsson, Gustafsson, etc.
    I thought I read somewhere that Z was staying put to rep for the NHLPA in negotiations...whenever they actually happen.

vCash
    Seguin just signed with a Swiss team

First Milk Crates, Now Water Bottles.....Nothing is Safe

vCash
    Interactive map of NHLers overseas - http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...l-lockout.html

vCash
    Big news that the SEL will allow NHLers to come for the lockout:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/9/2...h-elite-league

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Big news that the SEL will allow NHLers to come for the lockout:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/9/2...h-elite-league
    That is huge.

There were rumours of this in the Vancouver papers because the Sedins were saying that the decision was going to be reversed or they would change their minds.

The Van Sun interviewed Markus Naslund who is now the GM of MODO and he wants Henrik and Daniel to play in their home town again.

So I guess pretty soon we're going to see Zetterberg and the Sedins on the list of players back in the SEL.

vCash
    I personally think it's brutal that all these guys are taking jobs on guys who need that money to raise families and what not. If they want to continue to play they should organize a league or whatever amongst themselves and tour around Canada this winter. I know of a few guys that are worried they won't have a spot this year if more players continue to go over seas and there's something seriously wrong with Millionaire players taking jobs on guys trying to survive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I personally think it's brutal that all these guys are taking jobs on guys who need that money to raise families and what not. If they want to continue to play they should organize a league or whatever amongst themselves and tour around Canada this winter. I know of a few guys that are worried they won't have a spot this year if more players continue to go over seas and there's something seriously wrong with Millionaire players taking jobs on guys trying to survive.
    You make a really good point. It's worth sending your note to the NHLPA because it's something they would scream bloody murder about if anyone tried to take their jobs away.

I guess the one thing that can be said is that most teams are imposing a max number of NHLers that any roster can take on. I think it's 2 per team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast