Top 25 Match-ups
    #4 LSU Tigers @ #10 Florida Gators
    #5 Georgia Bulldogs @ #6 South Carolina Gamecocks
    #8 West Virginia Mountaineers @ #11 Texas Longhorns
    #21 Nebraska Cornhuskers @ #12 Ohio State Buckeyes
    #23 Washington Huskies @ #2 Oregon Ducks
    Rest of Week Six Schedule

Heisman Update
    1. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia – What more can be said about Smith’s amazing eight-touchdown performance against Baylor? He essentially crammed two games worth of stats into one, giving him plenty of wiggle room for later in the season should he have a subpar outing. He’s on pace to throw for an eye-popping 5,184 yards and 60 touchdowns by the time Heisman votes are due. The rest of the schedule is going to be a challenge, with games against Texas, TCU, Kansas State and Oklahoma serving as potential pitfalls (or bonanzas), but as long as his production remains clearly ahead of his competition, he’s the strong favorite to take home the trophy.

2. EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State – Manuel was his usual efficient self against South Florida, throwing for 242 yards and a touchdown on 19-of-26 passing. He appears to be settling in to become Smith’s strongest challenger as the season wears on. If FSU stays undefeated and he continues to be seen as the catalyst for the program’s revival, he’ll remain in contention. However, he’s on pace to throw for only 2,990 yards and 23 touchdowns, so he’ll need to increase his production to really have a shot at dislodging Smith.

3. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia – I’m so impressed with Georgia’s offense right now that I was tempted to put Murray in the second spot ahead of Manuel. Simply put, Murray is on his way to a fantastic season. He’s currently third nationally in passing efficiency with a stellar 183.5 rating and, if the Bulldogs win out and make it to the SEC title game, he’ll probably have upwards of 3,500 passing yards and 30 touchdown passes, which should eclipse what Manuel is able to do in the FSU offense. However, I’m less convinced that Georgia, rather than FSU, can make it through the season unscathed. Next week’s game against South Carolina will tell us a lot about Murray’s Heisman future.

4. Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State – There is a lot of potential stirring within Klein’s candidacy. The most obvious factor in his favor is that Heisman voters will get to see him go toe-to-toe with Smith and West Virginia on October 20. What better way is there to show he is more worthy of the Heisman than Smith than to let voters compare and contrast between the two in the same game? It doesn’t seem likely that Klein’s numbers will be all that impressive, so if he’s going to win the Heisman, it’ll have to be as the MVP-type candidate who leads his team to a cinderella season. If anyone can do it, he can.

5. De’Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon – If Thomas has any more games like he had the past two weeks, he’s going to drop off this list. After starting the season with seven touchdowns in 31 touches, he has had just one touchdown in his last 33 touches. It’s highly unlikely that he’s going to have the kind of production that, by itself, will justify Heisman consideration. However, as I’ve mentioned before, he’s a different type of candidate and can’t be eliminated just yet. He is one or two exhilarating punt or kick returns away from jumping back into serious contention. This is the upside to being a player who trades on excitement and highlight reel prowess rather than overall production.

6. David Ash, QB, Texas – Some people were incredulous over my decision to include Ash on my last two Heisman Watches. But his performance against Oklahoma State and his overall season to date seems to validate that inclusion for the time being. He’s currently second nationally to Smith in passing efficiency with a rating of 184 and he’s on pace to finish with 3,024 yards, 30 touchdown passes and just three interceptions. Like Klein, he also gets to take on Smith in a head-to-head battle. If the Longhorns come out on top against the Mountaineers next Saturday and Ash has a big game, he might emerge as Smith’s prime challenger.

Others to watch: Braxton Miller, QB, Ohio State
    Source: Heisman Pundit
    Last edited by BradyIsTheMan12; 10-01-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to the ND game at all. I fear another embarrassment is on the way.

I went Texas over WVU because I think they'll actually be able to generate a pass rush good enough to at least force Geno Smith into some incompletions and stalled drives.

South Carolina won't yield the kind of big play yardage Georgia was able to pick up against Tennessee. And if the Vols could run the ball inside on Georgia, Lattimore and Shaw won't have a problem picking up the tough yards against the Bulldogs (granted USCe doesn't have the outside threats that Tennessee does). I also think Carolina will be able to do a much better job of putting pressure on Murray than UT did. Last week's slugger of a game against Kentucky will help more than it hurt for the Gamecocks IMO.

I think Florida beats LSU based more on my lack of faith in the Tigers than confidence in the Gators. Their offense has been clunky this year to say the least and their defense, while still truly elite, is not as stingy as it was in 2011. Their fullback, critical to their running game given the hits they've taken to the wall of an offensive line they had a year ago, is also likely out for this game.

Florida has a bye week heading in, they're at home, the talent level is more comparable, and we're healthy. None of that was the case last year.

GO GATORS!!!

let's hear it, catfish and SCR... going up to g'ville for the game. gonna be a wildass weekend (and a long weekend too!)
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

I'm feeling ballsy. I'm gonna take Florida to beat LSU.

Screw Jeff Blashill.

Screw Ken Holland.

Gators gonna be all over that quarterback.

Marcus Mariota

Going to the OU-Texas Tech game on Saturday. Pumped up about it! Should be a good one.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Gators gonna be all over that quarterback.
    coach boom is definitely gonna dial up some exotic blitzes
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    coach boom is definitely gonna dial up some exotic blitzes
    I hope so, but I kept waiting for us to just unload on Tyler Bray in The Swamp last year and it never happened. We kept rushing four or five but when we finally brought actual pressure, we got to him.

LSU's line has struggled though. If Easley and Floyd are at full speed and Jelani is healthy enough for us to play a steady 4-3 base instead of nickel the whole game, we should have a decided edge when the Tigers offense is on the field.

florida's d line has the best potential to be the best in the nation, everyone on their d line was a top 5 recruit in their position. easley is a beast, floyd, hunter is pretty good, mccray has been probably the best player on the defense taking over for powel, also two five star freshman bullard and fowler are playing good.

Quote Originally Posted by tnewkirk View Post
    florida's d line has the best potential to be the best in the nation, everyone on their d line was a top 5 recruit in their position. easley is a beast, floyd, hunter is pretty good, mccray has been probably the best player on the defense taking over for powel, also two five star freshman bullard and fowler are playing good.
    IDK, LSU's entire starting front 4 will be top 10 picks when they declare.

Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    IDK, LSU's entire starting front 4 will be top 10 picks when they declare.
    who besides montgomery?

Mingo, Bennie Logan and Anthony Johnson.

Mingo, Bennie Logan and Anthony Johnson.
    i only heard that montgomery will go top 10.

Ugh, I'm not looking forward to the ND game at all. I fear another embarrassment is on the way.
    If Miami can put up points like they've been doing they have a good shot at winning. ND's offense is still a work in progress. 20-24 points could make it interesting unless Miami's defense is a lot worse than UM or MSU's?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast