Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Bill parcells, or bill belichick who is better?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • bill belichick

15 68.18%
  • bill parcells

7 31.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

bill parcells or bill belichick

Who is better?

vCash
    They are both great. Bill Belichick is the more accomplished of the 2 with 3 SBs as well as 2 AFC championships (W/L 177-99). Being with a successful franchise for so long pads his stats a bit. Bill Parcells, 2 SBs and 1 AFC championships is significant as well (W/L/T 172-130-1).

I would say Bill Belichick is the better coach. There is no more important measure for a coach than W/L (championships comes a close second) and clearly BB comes out on top when looking at that stat.

Parcells:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/ParcBi0.htm

Belichick:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/BeliBi0.htm
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    bill belichick by a nose
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I like Parcels better, but only because Belichick has had Brady. If Parcels had a quarterback like him to work with, his career record would have been astronomical.

P.S. I think Brady made Belichick just as much as Belichick made Brady. Neither would be where they are without the other

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    I like Parcels better, but only because Belichick has had Brady. If Parcels had a quarterback like him to work with, his career record would have been astronomical.

P.S. I think Brady made Belichick just as much as Belichick made Brady. Neither would be where they are without the other
    Parcells had Simms in the 1980's and Bledsoe in New England. Meanwhile, Belichick was building a powerhouse in Cleveland until they moved at the end of 1995.

Both Parcells and Belichick won two Superbowls with the Giants, almost won another with the Pats(Bledsoe) and yet another with the Jets (Testaverde).

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    BB by a bit. Its impressive how many head coaches have worked under parcels though.

Soprano, Payton, BB, Haley, Coughlin

vCash
    Parcells never won (or even made it) to a SB w/out BB on his staff.

BUT......

BB won his SBs with a lot of players Parcells drafted in NE.

I think BB is the better Xs and Os coach. But Parcells has a more impressive coaching tree, which I think speaks to him being a better teacher. BB gets players to buy in because he just points to his resume and the players know he understands his ****. Parcells seems to have more personal connections with his players. I'll give BB the edge because Parcells really hasn't proven capable of sustaining long term success like BB has.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Parcells never won (or even made it) to a SB w/out BB on his staff.

BUT......

BB won his SBs with a lot of players Parcells drafted in NE.

I think BB is the better Xs and Os coach. But Parcells has a more impressive coaching tree, which I think speaks to him being a better teacher. BB gets players to buy in because he just points to his resume and the players know he understands his ****. Parcells seems to have more personal connections with his players. I'll give BB the edge because Parcells really hasn't proven capable of sustaining long term success like BB has.

Parcells and Belichick both worked the X's and O's for years in NY. It's the same system which continues to evolve based on the personel.

The coaching tree may have originated with Parcells but Belichick was just as responsible.

As far as relationships, the Giants invented the Gatorade bath to cool off a heated Parcells who hated practically everybody. As time went on, we learned of "Parcells guys" like Simms and Taylor just as we've witnessed Belichick has "his guys" like Brady and Bruschi.

As far as longevity, Parcells had prolonged success in the NFL but not with one team b/c of his own choice. Never was he dismissed. He always resigned. Ironically, Parcells pulled the ultimate prick move in 1991 when he resigned only after Belichick accepted the Browns job. Years later, he resigned as Jets coach, Belichick inherited the job and resigned a day later.

They're as equal as it gets yet, in reality, Parcells was the mentor and taught Belichick how to maximize a lot. (and in shadows of 1990 team was a receivers coach named Tom Coughlin)
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 10-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    ...(and in shadows of 1990 team was a receivers coach named Tom Coughlin)
    There is nothing in the shadows about Tom Coughlin. 28 men have won the SB as head coaches. 13 men have done it 2 times or more. Coughlin is one of those 13. That is a select group, no shadow to it.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Parcells and Belichick both worked the X's and O's for years in NY. It's the same system which continues to evolve based on the personel.

The coaching tree may have originated with Parcells but Belichick was just as responsible.

As far as relationships, the Giants invented the Gatorade bath to cool off a heated Parcells who hated practically everybody. As time went on, we learned of "Parcells guys" like Simms and Taylor just as we've witnessed Belichick has "his guys" like Brady and Bruschi.

As far as longevity, Parcells had prolonged success in the NFL but not with one team b/c of his own choice. Never was he dismissed. He always resigned. Ironically, Parcells pulled the ultimate prick move in 1991 when he resigned only after Belichick accepted the Browns job. Years later, he resigned as Jets coach, Belichick inherited the job and resigned a day later.

They're as equal as it gets yet, in reality, Parcells was the mentor and taught Belichick how to maximize a lot. (and in shadows of 1990 team was a receivers coach named Tom Coughlin)
    Parcells never had a team that maintained consistent championship level play over a long period of time. He has one stretch of 2 straight 10+ win seasons and another of 3 seasons. Of his 19 seasons coaching, he won 10+ games only 9 times.

Other than the 85-90 Giants, Parcells has never had any constancy in coaching championship caliber teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Parcells never had a team that maintained consistent championship level play over a long period of time. He has one stretch of 2 straight 10+ win seasons and another of 3 seasons. Of his 19 seasons coaching, he won 10+ games only 9 times.

Other than the 85-90 Giants, Parcells has never had any constancy in coaching championship caliber teams.
    Only b/c he quit. If Belichick kept quitting teams, it would be no different. Parcells was never fired nor was he close to being fired. He just left. He actually requested the Giants to let him out of his contract after 1986 so he could coach the Raiders.

Parcells rebuilt the Giants, Pats, Jets and Cowboys
    Belichick rebuilt the Browns (then it fell apart with the move) and rebuilt the Pats.

Despite the changes and more losses on Parcells record, the two are seperated by less than 10 wins.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 10-04-2012 at 05:25 PM.

vCash
    I picked Parcells for a couple reasons. Is the Student greater than his Master. I believe Belichick is a master mind on D and how to build a team BUT having watched them both you can see Parcells in Belichick's style and approach.

Me and my Boys.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

vCash
    Parcells had Simms in the 1980's and Bledsoe in New England. Meanwhile, Belichick was building a powerhouse in Cleveland until they moved at the end of 1995.

Both Parcells and Belichick won two Superbowls with the Giants, almost won another with the Pats(Bledsoe) and yet another with the Jets (Testaverde).
    And while both of those guys are really good, I don't think anyone is going to put them in the same class as Brady. If Parcels had a guy that you could make a case for as the greatest quarterback of all time, he'd have a much better win percentage than he does. He just went to a few different teams, so never had the consistency. That's why I like him better. He won wherever he went.

vCash
    What? Building a Powerhouse in Cleveland? He had 4 losing seasons in 5 years. The very year after he went 11-5 they went 5-11. Vinny Testaverde was their QB, what powerhouse was he building exactly? He was building a powerhouse in Cleveland in the same way that one is being built in Cleveland now...

People always bring up how Parcells doesn't have a single Superbowl without BB, but the reality is BB has 1 winning season without Brady. His combined record without Brady is 41-57. Also, he had gone 5-11 his first year in NE and started off his 2nd year 0-2 before Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in. It wasn't like NE was expected to be a good team at all before Brady entered the picture...

The proof is in the pudding. With Vinny Testaverde BB went 11-5 and won a playoff game. With Drew Bledsoe he went 5-13.

Bill Parcells with Vinny Testaverde went 12-4 and went to the AFC Title game. With Drew Bledsoe he went to the Superbowl.

Imagine what Parcells would've done with Tom Brady...

But it all comes down to what you think is harder, staying with 1 organization with a HOF QB and winning multiple SBs or rebuilding multiple Organizations into contenders and going to 2 Superbowls with different organizations.

The only other coach I can think of off the top of my head who took 2 different teams to the Superbowl was Mike Holmgren

IMO Parcells > BB
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    What? Building a Powerhouse in Cleveland? He had 4 losing seasons in 5 years. The very year after he went 11-5 they went 5-11. Vinny Testaverde was their QB, what powerhouse was he building exactly? He was building a powerhouse in Cleveland in the same way that one is being built in Cleveland now...

People always bring up how Parcells doesn't have a single Superbowl without BB, but the reality is BB has 1 winning season without Brady. His combined record without Brady is 41-57. Also, he had gone 5-11 his first year in NE and started off his 2nd year 0-2 before Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in. It wasn't like NE was expected to be a good team at all before Brady entered the picture...

The proof is in the pudding. With Vinny Testaverde BB went 11-5 and won a playoff game. With Drew Bledsoe he went 5-13.

Bill Parcells with Vinny Testaverde went 12-4 and went to the AFC Title game. With Drew Bledsoe he went to the Superbowl.

Imagine what Parcells would've done with Tom Brady...

But it all comes down to what you think is harder, staying with 1 organization with a HOF QB and winning multiple SBs or rebuilding multiple Organizations into contenders and going to 2 Superbowls with different organizations.

The only other coach I can think of off the top of my head who took 2 different teams to the Superbowl was Mike Holmgren

IMO Parcells > BB
    Lucky for you, a Football life featuring the Cleveland Browns might enlighten you regarding Belichick's Browns career and what happened after that 11-5 season. It certainly will save me the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast