Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Devin McCourty

Hybrid View

vCash

Devin McCourty

I've heard a lot of people complaining about McCourty and I'm wondering why. Well I know why- its because of the PIs and a couple dropped INTs. However, I don't think that's looking at the overall picture. McCourty has had more plays then just those 4 and I think its worth noting that he's actually been quite excellent outside of those few missteps.

Here are his numbers, via Pro Football Focus (these numbers are BEFORE the Denver game):

Code:
    Tackles	Assists	MissedT	Stops	Targets	Rec	% Ct	Yds	Avg(Y/C)YAC	LG	TD	Int	PD	NFL Rating
    19	3	2	4	29	12	41.4	159	13.3	53	35	1	2	5	42.2
    What really sticks out to me is the 29 targets and only 12 receptions. That is actually quite great and only 7 CBs have allowed a lower completion % than McCourty. Even if you want to count those 2 PIs against him, thats still 14 in 29 targets which is still really good.

I think people need to back of McCourty because he has actually been quite great this year.

Now if you'd like to complain about Kyle Arrington, thats a different story. It's quite odd that opponents are completing nearly 80% of their passes (and the 2nd worst QB rating against in the NFL) to Arrington's side and yet everyone is up in arms over McCourty's play.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

vCash
    Basically the point I was trying to make in the IGT today...

vCash
    100% right, I was just saying that in the game thread.

Arrington has sucked, and McCourty has been good in particular given how much they give him to do, and unlike some elite shut down corners that don't tackle, he's doing a a great job in run defense too.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Do you want to know why people love to get on corners? It's due to a lot of people not really paying attention to a corner unless something bad happens. After they see a few plays that didn't go McCourty's way, they refresh their memory of last season and make a determination based on an ill-conceived notion. Plus, the way the camera is used does not focus on the corners unless they are targeted, so that makes it difficult to focus on the overall play of a corner.

McCourty has improved a lot, and I hope this helps people "see the light." Great post PSK.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    McCourty hasn't been as bad as last year, but he still looks pretty average to me (with the exception of the Buffalo game).

He still needs to progress some. I just don't understand how you go from 7 ints and a pro bowl berth to crap.

vCash
    96% of his plays don't even get shown. He's the #1 corner on the team, and probably top 15 in the NFL.

All that gets shown is when he's beat. Gino made a totally ignorant statement in the game. There was a play towards the the sideline about 4 feet from him, when the ball was going to hit the ground, or be caught on the shoe top. Gino said mccourty should have knocked it away. If he was Abdul Jabbar he still couldn't have reached it, nor any corner in the NFL.

The fans of this team have expectations that are very unrealistic due to the culture of winning here. Unless he's Revis, he's a bum for far too many.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    What's frustrating to me is that he seems to have lost his ability to make a play on the ball. It's not just him though - we have a DB wide problem with looking back for the ball. It's ridiculous how poor we are at it.

These #s were surprising to me. I thought he was really struggling this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    What's frustrating to me is that he seems to have lost his ability to make a play on the ball. It's not just him though - we have a DB wide problem with looking back for the ball. It's ridiculous how poor we are at it.

These #s were surprising to me. I thought he was really struggling this year.
    Because the press doesn't get paid to show routine good plays - they get paid to show big plays (good or bad).

vCash
    Looking back for the deep ball, they could sometimes easily come away with int or at least a knockdown, (McCourty and the rest of the Dbs) giving up the big play is momentum killer. I think the safety play is to blame too, it has been below average

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poppa12645 View Post
    Looking back for the deep ball, they could sometimes easily come away with int or at least a knockdown, (McCourty and the rest of the Dbs) giving up the big play is momentum killer. I think the safety play is to blame too, it has been below average
    Good point:

Chung - great on the run (A-), really poor in passing (D+) - QB's try and pick on him

Gregory - meh on the run (C+), worse in passing (D+)

Wilson - run B-, good in passing in particular for a rookie (B)

McCourty - run B+, passing B (with some notable breakdowns)

Arrington - run D+, passing D+

Moore - run N/A, passing C-

Dowling - run C, passing C- (but started to come alive a bit)

Truth is, this D is now making big plays, which is great, but the pressure is not consistent up front. As most BB's defenses this unit should be playing a lot better after 6-7 more games. Be patient.

vCash
    The front seven have really helped to hide the DB's inefficiencies in tough situations this year. I just hope they can figure it out because its getting tough to watch us getting lit up through the air. McCourty has atleast been head and shoulders better than last year.

vCash
    What I don't get is why isn't Dowling playing over Arrington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    What I don't get is why isn't Dowling playing over Arrington
    Arrington has been poor so far. Also Dowling was on the field as the MIKE, nickel, and CB. That was very promising IMO.

vCash
    Pats D always improves as the season goes on. Would like to see Wilson and Dennard step up and play well enough to push or overtake the starters.

vCash
    I'm happy in general with McCourty. Like I said, other than the 2 PI's and the dropped INTs, he's been very good this year- top 10 Cornerback in fact.

However, I would like to see someone replace Arrington. He has been bad this year, very bad- bottom 10 among corners. I think both Dowling and Dennard should hopefully both have pushed past Arrington on the depth chart by the end of the year. Although, they will both have to be sound with their fundamentals. Arrington gets beat all the time but he at least makes the tackle and doesn't really blow assignments. If both Dowling and Dennard can show that understanding of the defense and be sound tacklers, I think they both should move past Arrington in the depth chart. At least I'm hoping they do.
    Patriots Forum HOF Class of 2011

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast