Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Our Running Back Situation (We Need to Stick With Ridley)

I know that a lot of people (I am sure some in here) look at our "stable" of running backs as a 100% good thing that keeps the defense guessing as to who we will play.

Whether it be Ridley, Bolden, Woody or Vereen now.

However, I honestly think that we need to stick with Ridley for Ace Back looks and the predominant workload and spot in Woody for the No Huddle attack.

I think Bolden and Vereen need to be used as sparingly as possible, or not at all. Ridley seems to be okay in pass protection but he really takes the cap off of a 6 or 7 man in the box look. It seems as if he ALWAYS gets to the second level.

Woodhead is great out of the backfield and is a solid 3rd down/screen back. I think that Bolden has looked promising but this consistency is something the Pats really seem to be missing this year.

vCash
    Ridley can't catch passes at all - and fumbles.

Woodhead isn't fast or strong, just elusive

Bolden is a stud, in particular for goal line stuff

Vereen is a more elusive runner then Ridley.

Ridley gets 28 touches a game his season and career will be over way too soon.

Balance is correct. If Morris hadn't been hurt in 2007, we likely would have won the SB. Careful what you wish for.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I want Vereen to overtake Woodhead's role. Then him, Ridley and Bolden can rotate in. I like what all 3 bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    To those who say Ridley fumbles... He has only fumbled 3 times in 222 attempts... That's not a lot.

We were spoiled with BGE.

vCash
    I want Ridley as our #1 guy who gets the workload in the first half. I want Woodhead used sparingly, sprinkled here and there throughout the game. I want Bolden used a lot in the second half and Vereen sharing some carries with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHawk1123 View Post
    To those who say Ridley fumbles... He has only fumbled 3 times in 222 attempts... That's not a lot.

We were spoiled with BGE.
    He fumbled out of bounds which is not counted in the stats if possession does not change. That's 4. He fumbled in the playoff. That's 5 - and that is a problem.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 10-23-2012 at 06:06 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Ridley is nowhere near being an every game feature back. Sure he will get on a roll here and there, but he still is very hit or miss on draw plays, which I wish we could do more often in those 3 and 4 WR sets, with both Gronk/Hernandez blocking.

I think Ridley is still working on the killer instinct aspect to his game, that Bolden actually seems to be better at, even though he has seen far fewer snaps.

I am tired of seeing Woodhead in on so many 1st and 2nd downs though. I know Bolden has been hurt, but why did we draft Vereen/Ridley to have Woodhead swooping so many plays.

Woodhead is not a Sproles; if anything, he is a home run hitter when used more sparingly. It seems as his volume goes up in a game, his production is leveled off always. Never a momentum building type of player. I admire his courage and ability for what it is, but do not think he should have such a large role carved out in the offense. Maybe Vereen is just not there yet?

Ridley is a 12-20 touch RB, and he may never be more than that. What is he right now though, is more than enough as a contributing figure on the team.

vCash
    Yes, we need less Woodhead. I say 5 carries max sprinkled throughout the game. He's great at moving the chains when the no huddle is clicking. I'd be opened to expand those 5 if he were absolutely killing it for a specific game.

vCash
    If Vereen and Bolden we're not hurt so much Woodhead wouldn't be used near as much. If it was up to BB Woodhead would get the least touches IMO. If Ridley could catch the ball on top of this, he'd get few touches.

vCash
    I expect BB would like these guys to become something they haven’t shown they are, a 3rd down back for Vereen and, feature backs/between the tackle backs, Bolden and Ridley. But as you say health and fumbling have limited them. But, the more I watch, the more I believe there is an additional element now. I believe BB trusts Danny Woodhead more than all those guys combined despite his shortcomings.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Patrios remaining games: Bills (32nd/worst in league against the run), Colts (26th), Jets (30th), Miamix2 (3rd), Houston (4th), San Francisco (10th), Jacksonville (29th)

Besides Miami and Houston, those are some pretty easy defenses to run on, and Ridley is averaging 89.5 yds/game right now.

He has 716 yards currently, so he could reach 1,200-1,300 yards if we pound it against the cup-cake defenses.

vCash
    I hope Bolden can get healthy during the Bye week. I want to see this running game click against these powder puff run D's.