Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Recap of Panthers vs Redskins

Well, I'm shocked no one made a thread for this one, since it was hyped as Newton vs RG3, but might as well recap it. I thought the team played well as one piece. This is how they should've been playing all season. The game wasn't even near as close as the score indicates.

Offense

QB: Newton played well. No turnovers and he made smart decisions. He did over-throw some passes.
    HB: used pretty well, even in the zone reads. I still would like to see more FB runs.
    WR: Well enough, even with LaFell out. Murphey isn't a #2, Smith could have done more, but Armanti finally showed up, and he showed up big. I wish he would've taken it to the house.
    TE: Olsen was pretty awful when I saw him. When he has a drop it always seems like it's on 3rd down. He's better than that.
    OL: Played well enough. They were letting some pressure get through, but not bad enough to have Cam running for his life.

Defense

DL: Lights out for the second week. These guys are playing well enough to where the DC might keep his job (unfortunately). What used to be a glaring weakness is looking like it could be a strongpoint heading into next year.
    LB: Kuechly looked great again, Anderson I didn't notice much, and Davis was average. I hated seeing that late hit on RG3 in the redzone by Davis. Such a stupid move. On the camera he was still in bounds, so I don't judge him for it, but that's a stupid move that's going to bring a penalty every time.
    CB: They did as well as you can expect. Nothing outstanding, but nothing worth mention.
    S: Martin broke up some passes late in the game, Godfrey made some quiet plays most of the game, and Nakamura made some nice stops early in the game. I like how the coaches are using the FSs now.

Coaching

Offense: Still not quite there. It's much better than 3 weeks ago, but my god, learn to use a FB. There weren't many FB runs through the entire game, but when we were trying to run the clock down we kept doing HB runs with no FB. They knew what was happening, so why not give the HBs an extra blocker?
    Defense: Still crappy play-calling, but as long as our DL is dominating it won't be glaringly obvious. For a while the defense couldn't get out of the same play and RG3 was just throwing easy slants. As soon as we play a team with an OL good enough to shut the DL down we'll be back to defense woes.

Overall not a bad game at all. This was one that I really wanted us to win (mostly because I live in VA and hate the Skins, but also because Cam needed a win to get everyone off of his back. If Cam lost to RG3's Skins the media would've had a field day). If we don't go on some beneficial win-streak, the only team I really want us to beat is ATL at the end of the season.

vCash
    It wasn't Newton's best game, but it was huge that we got the win and that he didn't turn the ball over (or get sacked). The one throw off his back foot on his first pass had me nervous, but this game should give him an enormous confidence boost.

I was happy with our RBs. I, for one, do NOT want to see more FB runs. I want my FB to block for the best duo of RBs in the league. It all came together today -- the O-line, the play-calls, and the RBs themselves. Huge props to all involved for getting that going again.

I'm becoming less and less impressed with Murphy, but I can't be sure if that's because of my bias from when we signed him or if that's because he hasn't been impressive. Wish we could have seen more from Pilares (I think he was targeted once? and Newton threw a horrible pass). I was so stoked for Edwards. Like you, I wish he would have beat the last guy and brought it home, but still a great way to take advantage of an opportunity to get on the field more. It will be interesting to see what happens now when Gettis returns to the roster this week.

Olsen was a little shaky, but he helped us move the ball effectively, so I can't get too down on him. Barnidge got involved too, that was nice.

I don't know what changes were made on defense, if any, but those guys are getting it done. Johnson and Hardy were both on their games yet again. Dwan Edwards and Alexander looked good too. If these guys keep it up, good things will happen.

Kuechly continues to look good, Davis continues to play well (I thought that was a late hit in real time, but on the replay, Griffin had not stepped out of bounds yet, that should not have been flagged*).

* Speaking of bad flags, the Roughing the Passer penalty on the first drive a) was weak, and b) should have been negated by the RT holding Johnson.

CB: They did as well as you can expect. Nothing outstanding, but nothing worth mention.
    S: Martin broke up some passes late in the game, Godfrey made some quiet plays most of the game, and Nakamura made some nice stops early in the game. I like how the coaches are using the FSs now.
    Complete agree. Nakamura quietly does the little things VERY well. Aside from the Atlanta game, he's been getting the job done. I also like how they bring Martin in on passing downs, it seems to be making a difference.

Offense: Still not quite there. It's much better than 3 weeks ago, but my god, learn to use a FB. There weren't many FB runs through the entire game, but when we were trying to run the clock down we kept doing HB runs with no FB. They knew what was happening, so why not give the HBs an extra blocker?
    Defense: Still crappy play-calling, but as long as our DL is dominating it won't be glaringly obvious. For a while the defense couldn't get out of the same play and RG3 was just throwing easy slants. As soon as we play a team with an OL good enough to shut the DL down we'll be back to defense woes.
    The offense isn't quite there yet, but I think we're seeing what we expected them to be. I think the biggest hope offensively might be getting Gettis back. If he comes back strong, Smith-Gettis-Olsen-LaFell is a pretty strong lineup of receivers. Furthermore, LaFell does a good job of working the sideline, but Gettis is much more of a deep threat. It was nice seeing Edwards fill that role today, hopefully that's something that Gettis does more often.

As for FBs blocking for runs, where's Hoover when you need him? Double Trouble showed they can still get it done. I hope the coaching staff took note.

The defense is getting the job done now and that's really what matters. Would I like to see our secondary playing a bit closer to the line? Yes. Would I like to see us try some stunts for the defensive line? Yes. But they're being effective and they're improving as the season goes on. They're still a young team, but they're starting to put the pieces together.

Denver will be a good test to see what this team is capable of. We've shown we can hang with some of the most talented teams in the league over the past couple years. Now we need to show that we can BEAT a very talented team. That's going to be difficult with a young and troubled secondary, but not impossible. The pass rush is going to have to really be on their game, LBs will have to shut down the running game, and Newton will probably have to air it out against a decent Denver secondary.

Once we get past Denver, it's Tampa, Philly, and KC -- all very much winnable.

vCash
    I didn't see the game but I am caught up now! I haven't watched either win and I've watched 3 games and parts of 3 others...hopefully there's nothing to that! The only question I have is did Edwards do anything besides the 1 catch? You both mentioned he "broke out" but I saw the play, he just finally got in the game and no one covered him. He's probably not on the roster today if he doesn't make that catch...unless he did something else. It's hard to say when you don't watch the game, but on paper it looked like a terrible day for the passing game. Especially if you take away Edwards catch. Maybe they didn't need to run because they had the lead and were running the ball well?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracka2HI! View Post
    I didn't see the game but I am caught up now! I haven't watched either win and I've watched 3 games and parts of 3 others...hopefully there's nothing to that! The only question I have is did Edwards do anything besides the 1 catch? You both mentioned he "broke out" but I saw the play, he just finally got in the game and no one covered him. He's probably not on the roster today if he doesn't make that catch...unless he did something else. It's hard to say when you don't watch the game, but on paper it looked like a terrible day for the passing game. Especially if you take away Edwards catch. Maybe they didn't need to run because they had the lead and were running the ball well?
    I don't think I'd say Edwards had a break out game or anything, but that play was indicative of his progress as a receiver. It looks like blown coverage and to some degree it was. But he really sold the short-out route before turning upfield on the double-move. I think the biggest take-away from that play is that we have guys who can step up when called upon. Sure, it may have saved Edwards' job for now, but if he doesn't continue getting offensive touches (I'd much rather see him out there than Murphy at this point), he won't be around much longer. I think it says a lot, though, that he's still on the roster with all the waiving and cutting and such that has gone on this year.

We really didn't have to throw the ball a lot yesterday, but we were effective when we did. More importantly, as you mentioned, the running game was effective, as was the defense. If the running game and defense continue to excel, that will take some pressure off Newton. Maybe he'll be able to relax a little bit more and just play within himself instead of trying to carry the team.

vCash
    Armanti just had that one catch. It was more than I expected him to get, but I thought for sure he'd have the speed to take it to the house. It's not something to get upset about, but I was under the impression he'd be one of our fastest WRs, but I guess it's possible he got gassed or something. I read an article on CO (my first mistake) where the author said that 80 yard catch justified his draft position/the 2nd rounder we traded. We'll see when he gets more catches if he's worth the pick, but one catch doesn't tell us much.

As far as the passing game, it wasn't bad. Cam made mostly good decisions and good throws (had a few drops and a few that were overthrown). I don't know this as fact, but it seemed like the Skins had the ball for a longer period than Carolina, but also Carolina ran the ball well enough that we didn't need to pass.

vCash
    I really don't understand the problem some of you have with McDermott. He has done a good job with this unit, especially given that Beason and Gamble are both on IR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I really don't understand the problem some of you have with McDermott. He has done a good job with this unit, especially given that Beason and Gamble are both on IR.
    He's done a piss-poor job at play-calling most of the season. The DL has been bailing him out here lately, but you can't expect a four man rush to dominate every game. He doesn't blitz and he doesn't know how to play-call for the end of a game. The very instance the DL stops putting up 4+ sacks per game he'll be back in the doghouse. If we could guarantee that our DL could perform this well against legit OLs I probably wouldn't be so critical, but dominate games against the Bears and Skins OL aren't enough to convince me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    He's done a piss-poor job at play-calling most of the season. The DL has been bailing him out here lately, but you can't expect a four man rush to dominate every game. He doesn't blitz and he doesn't know how to play-call for the end of a game. The very instance the DL stops putting up 4+ sacks per game he'll be back in the doghouse. If we could guarantee that our DL could perform this well against legit OLs I probably wouldn't be so critical, but dominate games against the Bears and Skins OL aren't enough to convince me.
    I wouldn't rush more than four either for the most part. The secondary is bad, and we don't have great pass rushers at the LB spots. Blitzing would only get us killed in the 10-15 yard range. What play-calling at the end of the game was bad? Atlanta wasn't his fault, Haruki Nakamura just sucks. Against Chicago, I can't put that on him. Rivera at least had a say in how they would play it. A defensive HC wouldn't stand by and watch that happen unless he was originally involved in the idea in the first place. If he really would, then Rivera is 10x as inept at McDermott will ever be.

vCash
    Gotta disagree about Chicago...well the last drive at least. The DB's played 10 yards off and they didn't blitz. They allowed something like 5 simple slants to be completed in less than a minute I believe. That was pathetic. Not sure if Rivera deserves the/some blame for that. The way they played I can't imagine they were thinking anything other than hoping they would get pressure at least 1 play and a get a sack to save the game. No other outcome was possible. They didn't try to play anything that resembled defense on that drive. That was prevent from win all the way.

vCash
    Gotta disagree about Chicago...well the last drive at least. The DB's played 10 yards off and they didn't blitz. They allowed something like 5 simple slants to be completed in less than a minute I believe. That was pathetic. Not sure if Rivera deserves the/some blame for that. The way they played I can't imagine they were thinking anything other than hoping they would get pressure at least 1 play and a get a sack to save the game. No other outcome was possible. They didn't try to play anything that resembled defense on that drive. That was prevent from win all the way.
    I don't agree with how they played Chicago. I said Rivera has to at least share in the blame. A defensive HC would not sit idly and watch that happen if it wasn't at least partly his idea, unless he's even more incompetent than we could have ever imagined.

vCash
    So here's my take: McDermott has apparently done a good job *coaching*, but I agree that he's done a poor job of play-calling. I think it's apparent that we don't have to blitz, and maybe even that blitzes should be rare for this team. But no stunts or any kinds of moves along the D-line other than running straight ahead? It's great that it's worked in a few games, but we won't be able to rely on that all season long.

I think the end of the Chicago game is entirely on McDermott. If you're Rivera, you don't choose the last minute of a game to run down the sideline and scream at your defensive coordinator. I do think you call a timeout though, and that's on Rivera. I'd really like to see Rivera take more control of the defensive play-calling, even if McDermott stays on to coach the defense.

Those large buffers between DBs and the LoS have been around all season though. That's one thing that continually frustrates me. If anyone doesn't think Manning's going to tear us apart with quick slants, you're kidding yourself.

I don't think it's fair to say Nakamura sucks. I think it's entirely fair to say he had an awful game, but he's been playing well otherwise, especially in run support. In fact, I'd almost rather have Nakamura move over to SS and put Godfrey at FS. That said, I like the way the coaching staff has mixed it up with Nakamura and Martin splitting time, but you know they're going to be looking for an every-down, do-everything safety in the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    So here's my take: McDermott has apparently done a good job *coaching*, but I agree that he's done a poor job of play-calling. I think it's apparent that we don't have to blitz, and maybe even that blitzes should be rare for this team. But no stunts or any kinds of moves along the D-line other than running straight ahead? It's great that it's worked in a few games, but we won't be able to rely on that all season long.

I think the end of the Chicago game is entirely on McDermott. If you're Rivera, you don't choose the last minute of a game to run down the sideline and scream at your defensive coordinator. I do think you call a timeout though, and that's on Rivera. I'd really like to see Rivera take more control of the defensive play-calling, even if McDermott stays on to coach the defense.

Those large buffers between DBs and the LoS have been around all season though. That's one thing that continually frustrates me. If anyone doesn't think Manning's going to tear us apart with quick slants, you're kidding yourself.

I don't think it's fair to say Nakamura sucks. I think it's entirely fair to say he had an awful game, but he's been playing well otherwise, especially in run support. In fact, I'd almost rather have Nakamura move over to SS and put Godfrey at FS. That said, I like the way the coaching staff has mixed it up with Nakamura and Martin splitting time, but you know they're going to be looking for an every-down, do-everything safety in the draft.
    If you're Rivera and you see it happen once, you fix it immediately unless you helped make the call in the first place. That's my take, unless he's just stupid.

Manning will tear us up anyways. Over/under for the game this week for Denver should be about 35 points.

Nakamura is awful. He occasionally makes a nice play in run support. He's slow, doesn't take good angles on the ball in the air, and is a poor athlete. He's a special teams player that is starting. That is awful. I would way rather see Martin out there. Even if he's dumb as a brick, he's at least a starting NFL-caliber athlete.